Cold Air Intake

I just recently purchased a 98 GS400, and I am debating on putting in a cold air intake. I was looking at the SRT High flow intake, it also comes with an ECU Chip I believe. What I wanted to get was the K&N because it is 300 dollars less. I was also reading in the ES forums and they were saying that the ES comes stock with a cold air intake, is this true for the GS and if so, what difference other then noise will I notice after putting in this new upgrade?

Can anyone tell me what kind of performance difference I will get vs stock.

1. Power curve

2. responsiveness

Also, will my engine check light come on if I install the K&N without the replacement chip?

Those who have done this mod, please input here with suggestions you wish you would have done/not done, etc.

Thanks all for your inpuit :D

I should also add this is the first upgrade I will be considering on my car are there other upgrades that would benifit me more cost/performance wise before doing the cold air. Shocks/struts are still too expensive at this time. My next upgrade after the cold air will be the steering ECU.

I dont have a GS 400, or know much about the cold air intakes for it, but i do have a 96 GS 300 with a K&N. At first i wanted to get a CAI, but after going visit my aunt and uncle, my uncle, who knows more about cars then i could ever dream of, told me to stick with the intake set up i have and get a K&N filter. There is defenintly better throttle response and better gas mileage. Im not sure how much the filter acctually helps my power curve, i never had the car dynoed. The V6 is a badass engine, i know the V8 is pretty badass itself. If i were you i would probably go with the CAI only because im pretty sure it gives more HP. My check engine light doesnt not come on with the K&N, but as i have read in the forums, all the guys say if u dont get the piggy back ECU with the CAI i think the check engine light will come on. As for what u said about the ES, SEARCH ME! hahah, i have no clue. If your considering spending the 300 on the CAI, just buy the filter and see how u like it, u never know it could satisfy your needs, and if it doesnt, theres always the CAI.

Good luck, hope this helps,

Jacob

I dont have a GS 400, or know much about the cold air intakes for it, but i do have a 96 GS 300 with a K&N. At first i wanted to get a CAI, but after going visit my aunt and uncle, my uncle, who knows more about cars then i could ever dream of, told me to stick with the intake set up i have and get a K&N filter. There is defenintly better throttle response and better gas mileage. Im not sure how much the filter acctually helps my power curve, i never had the car dynoed. The V6 is a badass engine, i know the V8 is pretty badass itself. If i were you i would probably go with the CAI only because im pretty sure it gives more HP. My check engine light doesnt not come on with the K&N, but as i have read in the forums, all the guys say if u dont get the piggy back ECU with the CAI i think the check engine light will come on. As for what u said about the ES, SEARCH ME! hahah, i have no clue. If your considering spending the 300 on the CAI, just buy the filter and see how u like it, u never know it could satisfy your needs, and if it doesnt, theres always the CAI.

Good luck, hope this helps,

Jacob

you are referring to the k&n stock 'high flow filter', correct?

There is the k&N cold air intake, and the high flow filter that drops right into the stock setup...

Yeah the drop in filter, i couldnt find a CAI for my car year, so i said screw it and went with that after my uncle told me the set up in my car probably keeps the air colder than a CAI would. I am thinking about making the air intake wider, mite help, but i cant figure out how i would do that. anyway, hope that helps

Spend the money and get the SRT.Well worth the extra $.Ive had mine for 3yrs and love it.And your stock box isnt keeping the air any colder.

Does the drop in K&N provide me with any more power until I can afford the SRT??? <_<

I have a list of upgrades, and I will be doing suspension and wheels first, along with the steering ECU, mostly because the 300hp is niice as is, but any additions certainly help...

Does the drop in K&N provide me with any more power until I can afford the SRT???  <_<

Not really. Intakes on the GS will not give youa big jump if at all. The SRT has a piggyback ECU to manipulate the car to use a different AF ratio. All the other intakes may help with the breathing but eventually, the OEM ECU will tune itself to the parameters it expects. If this is what happens with full intakes, the filter will not make a dent.

I think the best power upgrade for the GS4 is the torque converter. Other than for sound and look, if it is more power I want, I'd put intake and exhaust money towards a torque converter/tranny cooler combo. Actual numbers won't go up but youwill be able to make the most out of the 300 you do have.

Your on the right track get that car breathing right.That stock air box is very restrictive.The TC is going to cost alot more than the intake.I agree the TC is alot of bang for your buck but the intake is a good start.And forget the drop in filter.

I have the K&N FIPK and love it. Can't comment on the SRT. The sound is much louder than stock (though, from what I understand, not as loud as SRT) but it is a great sound. Makes the GS 400 sound like it has a V8. As for performance, it feels like I lost a little on the bottom end and gianed a little at the top.

• 4 weeks later...
I have the K&N FIPK and love it. Can't comment on the SRT. The sound is much louder than stock (though, from what I understand, not as loud as SRT) but it is a great sound. Makes the GS 400 sound like it has a V8. As for performance, it feels like I lost a little on the bottom end and gianed a little at the top.

Umm last time i checked i thought the gs400 did have a V8

B)

Umm last time i checked i thought the gs400 did have a V8

B)

Yeah but the Lexus sound is very laid back. He probably wanted a little more rumble. :)

If youre going to do something to your car then do it right the first time. Dont get a FIPK to have to spend money again to buy an SRT. Wait til you can afford to get the one you really want. Its better than having to buy another intake and have spent money laying in your garage or only returning you 50% of what you spent in the first place. Im going to buy the SRT because I have only heard good things about it.