Rx300 Computer Reset

bowtie3

For the past year my wife's 2000 RX300 has had a periodic gas Knock. We've always used 89 octane in it as per the dealer's advice. I've taken it in to the dealer for the problem three times which has resulted in no cure. [ I was told repeatedly we were using poor quality gas; Shell, Exxon, BP Mobil, etc. ] Last week I took Mickey00's advice and pulled the ECU-B and EFI fuses and disconnected the battery for a few minutes. Guess what? After about a week there has been absolutely NO GAS KNOCK. Also the engine seems peppier and the transmission seems to shift quicker. Is this a PERMANENT fix or will the car's computer go back to the " gas knock phase "? What REALLY burns me is; WHY DIDN'T THE DEALER THINK OF THIS DURING THE PAST YEAR?

For the past year my wife's 2000 RX300 has had a periodic gas Knock.  We've always used 89 octane in it as per the dealer's advice.  I've taken it in to the dealer for the problem three times which has resulted in no cure.  [ I was told repeatedly we were using poor quality gas; Shell, Exxon, BP Mobil, etc.  ]  Last week I took Mickey00's advice and pulled the ECU-B and EFI  fuses  and disconnected the battery for a few minutes.  Guess what?  After about a week there has been absolutely NO GAS KNOCK.  Also the engine seems peppier and the transmission seems to shift quicker.  Is this a PERMANENT fix or will the car's computer go back to the " gas knock phase "?  What REALLY burns me is; WHY DIDN'T THE DEALER THINK OF THIS DURING THE PAST YEAR?

A few comments/questions I have are:

What is the logic of removing the fuses before disconnecting the battery ? Would the computer NOT reset if the fuses were left in ?

Is this technique of resetting the computer explained somewhere in the owner's manual ? If not, would this affect the warranty ?

Do you have a reference to Mickey00's original post ?

For the past year my wife's 2000 RX300 has had a periodic gas Knock.  We've always used 89 octane in it as per the dealer's advice.  I've taken it in to the dealer for the problem three times which has resulted in no cure.  [ I was told repeatedly we were using poor quality gas; Shell, Exxon, BP Mobil, etc.  ]   Last week I took Mickey00's advice and pulled the ECU-B and EFI  fuses  and disconnected the battery for a few minutes.  Guess what?  After about a week there has been absolutely NO GAS KNOCK.  Also the engine seems peppier and the transmission seems to shift quicker.  Is this a PERMANENT fix or will the car's computer go back to the " gas knock phase "?  What REALLY burns me is; WHY DIDN'T THE DEALER THINK OF THIS DURING THE PAST YEAR?

A few comments/questions I have are:

What is the logic of removing the fuses before disconnecting the battery ? Would the computer NOT reset if the fuses were left in ?

Is this technique of resetting the computer explained somewhere in the owner's manual ? If not, would this affect the warranty ?

Do you have a reference to Mickey00's original post ?

Mickey00's comment was a reply to a question I posted April 6 concerning pulling the correct fuses to accomplish the " repair ".