Howdy, Need Some Help With Es300

Howdy,

I am about ready to go crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with my 1992 ES 300. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I have (not gonna be hard to find!!) can help me out here. Here is the story....

About a week ago the car starts to develop a really rough idle at times. Well, when it starts stumbling really bad, it smokes like crazy. But after you open it up a little, it quits doing it. Next time you might stop, it might be just fine.......no smoke, no rough idle. So, the check engine light comes on and I take it to Autozone. They say that it is the rear O2 sensor, and it needs replaced. So I buy one from them, a Bosch brand (universal), and install it in the rear manifold by the firewall.

It clears nothing up, and is smoking ALL the time, but the check engine light isn't coming back on though. It only starts to smoke really bad, the longer you run it. And you can smell fuel everywhere, inside the car, behind car......

So, I go back and they tell me it could be the fuel filter..........lol, I am thinking "yeah, that's what it needs is MORE fuel!!!" So, I put a new one on there. Doesn't help (as suspected).

So then, I go talk to a mechanic......and he says to check the coolant temp. sensor located by the thermostat. I might replace that today, but I am not driving the car, as I don't want to damage the engine with it flooding so bad.

Anyone have any ideas on this one? I would appreciate any help you may give me. :)

Michael

did Autozone actually read the codes? Your car is OBDI and most times Autozone will say they can't read OBDI cars. I'm guessing Autozone said: "99 times out of 100 it is cause by a faulty O2 sensor so lets just replace that".

what color is the smoke?

the rough idle points me in the direction of a lazy IACV (idle air control valve). A very common problem on the 1MZFE and predecesor. Do a search on idle valve and you will have tons or threads.

steviej

My old ,92 had a rough idle that cleared up somewhat when I accellerated. It turned out to be bad ignition wires. Try running your car in a dark garage or late at night and look for arcs from the spark plug wires. My car also had a lot of gas smell probably because of the poor idle.

My old ,92 had a rough idle that cleared up somewhat when I accellerated.  It turned out to be bad ignition wires.  Try running your car in a dark garage or late at night and look for arcs from the spark plug wires.  My car also had a lot of gas smell probably because of the poor idle.

if the smoke is black, theres too much fuel, i would say a possible fuel pressure regulator, or even a pump acting up.

pull the Electronic Fuel Injection Fuse for a night and then re try it. should be either #11 or #14. cant remember.

You can also check the fuel injectors by holding a long screwdriver tip against the injector and the handle near your ear while the car is running. Be careful not to get close to moving parts! You should hear a constant pronounced clicking sound from each injector. If the clicking is muted or irregular, the injector is dirty or defective.

Is the rubber hose from the throttle body to the air cleaner cracked on the bottom?

Actually, yes it was. It was cracked in several places, so I siliconed it back together. Waiting on new aftermarket intake tube to come in, so I can see if that eliminates the problem. Also bought a manual off of eBay, to help me find where everything is located.

I will keep everyone posted, and thanks for the replies!

Nut

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy again,

Well, here is a little update to the situation.

The intake tubing came in so we installed it. It went two whole days before it started doing it again. I mean, when it starts running rough, you can smell gas 40 feet away, and it is smoking like crazy.

Managed to get my hands on a spare air flow meter and put it on last night. Gonna run it for a few days and see if that fixes the problem.

I will keep you guys updated, as this may help someone else out.

Nut

Howdy again,

After replacing various sensors.........it looks like it comes down to a faulty injector. It starts misfiring randomly. Replaced that, and all is well now. It's been a tough road but it looks like it finally is fixed. Maybe that will help someone else out.

Nut

Howdy again,

After replacing various sensors.........it looks like it comes down to a faulty injector.  It starts misfiring randomly.  Replaced that, and all is well now.  It's been a tough road but it looks like it finally is fixed.  Maybe that will help someone else out.

Nut

I had the exact same problem with my Infiniti I30. It happened twice and both times it was cylinder #5. They replaced the injector, the wiring, and all other stuff for that connection. Good thing it was under warranty! :rolleyes:

"I had the exact same problem with my Infiniti I30. It happened twice and both times it was cylinder #5. They replaced the injector, the wiring, and all other stuff for that connection. Good thing it was under warranty!"

I was talking about infinity I30.

Thanks,

I just had an idea to check em, since it seemed to be fueling so much. Used a long handle screwdriver, and it was clear as a bell. It was misfiring something crazy. And the best part about it, it was the front center one, very easy to get to :)

Nut

<_<u may have some leaky valve seals if u tend to get rough idel and smoke when you start affter it has sat for a day or so or on a cold start. if it hase a smell of eggs and fule from the exhoust then it may be your o2 but probly not <_<

Howdy,

I am about ready to go crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with my 1992 ES 300.  Maybe someone with more knowledge than I have (not gonna be hard to find!!) can help me out here.  Here is the story....

About a week ago the car starts to develop a really rough idle at times.  Well, when it starts stumbling really bad, it smokes like crazy.  But after you open it up a little, it quits doing it.  Next time you might stop, it might be just fine.......no smoke, no rough idle.  So, the check engine light comes on and I take it to Autozone.  They say that it is the rear O2 sensor, and it needs replaced.  So I buy one from them, a Bosch brand (universal), and install it in the rear manifold by the firewall. 

It clears nothing up, and is smoking ALL the time, but the check engine light isn't coming back on though.  It only starts to smoke really bad, the longer you run it.  And you can smell fuel everywhere, inside the car, behind car......

So, I go back and they tell me it could be the fuel filter..........lol, I am thinking "yeah, that's what it needs is MORE fuel!!!"  So, I put a new one on there.  Doesn't help (as suspected). 

So then, I go talk to a mechanic......and he says to check the coolant temp. sensor located by the thermostat.  I might replace that today, but I am not driving the car, as I don't want to damage the engine with it flooding so bad. 

Anyone have any ideas on this one?  I would appreciate any help you may give me.  :)

Michael