Moonroof Rattle

denslexusgx470

just want to make a survery, kinda lazy to make a poll, but i want to know if any other GX owner out there has any rattling that comes from the moonroof. I noticed it just like 2 months ago (after having it for 2 years) and when i press on the moonroof, it makes the rattle sound. anyway to fix it??? :blink:

• Like 1

Mine had some rattle on the first year, as I drive a lot on gravel roads and Off-road. Some patch were put in it the rails but it began to rattle again. I tried to track this problems at Lexus and Toyota on this, but I did not find it. On the second year the moonroof it ratteled more and this time it was taken out fixed and put back in. No problem since then. Now I can drive on 60Mph on a gravel road and no rattle sound in the SUV, that handles super.....

It seems that this is rare problem and it has been the only problem.

I've had mine since 10/1/04, and have about 7,700 miles on it. Not a squeek or rattle anywhere, ever. I traded in a 2004 Cadillac CTS, 6 months old with 4,600 miles on it. The sunroof in the CTS rattled from the day I drove it off the lot, till the day I drove it onto the Lexus lot,despite numorous attempts by two dealers to fix it.

Rattles and squeeks drive me crazy, and I am very satisfied with my Lexus.

thanks for the reply, but the rattle comes from the rubber of the side of the moonroof that when you push up on it, it creates the sound. it actually makes the sound eveytime you close the moonroof. bothering but not a major problem for me.

just want to make a survery, kinda lazy to make a poll, but i want to know if any other GX owner out there has any rattling that comes from the moonroof. I noticed it just like 2 months ago (after having it for 2 years) and when i press on the moonroof, it makes the rattle sound. anyway to fix it??? :blink:

Not a sound from my 2005-GX470 sun roof so far- only 100 miles old though

NOTHING like this on my 05-GX470- Perfectly quite as of yet-Hope it stays that way, that kinda stuff will drive you BONKERS! :cries:

NOTHING like this on my 05-GX470- Perfectly quite as of yet-Hope it stays that way, that kinda stuff will drive you BONKERS! :cries:

hahaha. that's why i have to keep the moonroof shade closed to mute the rattling. <_<

• 3 years later...

I havea 2005 that rattles. If I lube and clean it, it goes away for about 2 weeks and comes back.

I am tempted to try the nylon washer repair on the toyota forum.

• 10 months later...

dens....there is TSB which says about the moonroof getting stuck..( Though I am bit off topic to your problem :chairshot: )....they advise abt some changes and greasing...have a look..could be part of the problem getting solved. hoping it helps.

Moon_Roof_Stuck_Improper_Operation09.pdf

• 1 year later...

I almost forgot about this thread. I think I've gotten used to the rattle but I haven't driven my GX too much lately as I've acquired other cars through the years and am driving those more than the GX. I believe it still rattles but I'm out of warranty so I don't mind it anymore. I'm at 58k miles at the moment

• 2 years later...

i have this same problem intermittently. My solution is easy, I will either run the moonroof through a full cycle, opened and then closed and then open and closed again and that usually sets it back into place or...I use the venting setting to lift or raise the rear of the moonroof up and then down until the rattle is no longer occuring when I use my fingers to push the rear edget of the roof up and let its weight bring it back down.

If you are getting the rattling noise while you're driving or not, you can push up on that rear portion of the moonroof and you'll feel the ever so slight movement and hear a faint rattle noise, by using the vent setting you can take up the "slack" as it were, and hold it from vibrating,a simple solution-simpler yet is to do what my Dad says to do, slide the sunroof cover shut and turn up the radio!