Check Engine Light Sc

My friend used to work at a Lexus dealership and he told me that most of the sc300's and the SC400 had check engine lights on. Is this a common thing for these cars, and what is usually the problem. Im planning on buying a 93 SC400 if anyone has advice for me it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. :cheers:

When the check engine light comes on that is a harbinger of a possible trouble. You will then have to check for trouble codes and proceed from there. Sorry to say that there is no common problem when the CEL comes on.

Start reading all the posts here. Make sure everything works. When you look at a future purchase take a friend to help you keep things in perspective. Just because you like the color doesn't mean it's the right car.

When the check engine light comes on that is a harbinger of a possible trouble. You will then have to check for trouble codes and proceed from there. Sorry to say that there is no common problem when the CEL comes on.

My 2000 SC300 just had the Check Engine problem checked out by Sewell Lexus in Dallas.

I was told it was fuel system problem ... probably a leaky gas cap. The cap was replaced and the light went away.

I just love Lexus Certified cars!

--Yataje

My friend used to work at a Lexus dealership and he told me that most of the sc300's and the SC400 had check engine lights on.  Is this a common thing for these cars, and what is usually the problem.  Im planning on buying a 93 SC400 if anyone has advice for me it would be greatly appreciated.  THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.:cheers:

The two weak points seem to be the starter and the water pump. I just replaced my starter @ 76000 on my 99 SC400. The water pump and some seal are candidates for replacment @ 90K when you change the timing belt (very expensive job).

I would say look at as many SC400 models you can find to get acquinted with them.

look for any paint disfigurment around the battery. Make sure you have both upper and lower engine covers (big black sheets) Get the service records !!! If the seller doesn't have the records find out WHY !!!

Get a CARFAX report on the VIN before you buy it ($30 peace of mind).

Look at the dash gauges for lighting intensity uniformity, i.e. the D light on my 99 is dimmer than the reset of the gear indicators. Check the quality of the LCD panel on the AC/heater.

Does it have factory floor mats of after-market types. Are the mat retainer hooks there??

That's enough to confuse you for now.

Glen :cheers: