Cd Changer

I have a 92 SC400, and it looks like the 10 disk player I have is aftermarket. So it's FM Modulated. Now the radio plays fine, sounds perfect. But when I'm playing CD's through the player I hear a muffled scratching noise on certain frequencies. I've had people get in and describe it as a blown speaker or tweater, but those are good. Like I said, the radio plays fine. So I've asked many people and tried to go through all the different problems it could be. Seems I'm left with the FM modulator going out? So if this sounds right... then if I swapped out the Cassette/Radio in the front with another like it but with the CD button. Would I be able to wire the aftermarket CD changer directly into it getting rid of the FM modulated problem?

Sorry if I sound a bit uneducated on the subject... I am :blink:

I would really appriciate some help, thanks!

Short answer is no.

The CD changer reads the CD, generates a stereo analog signal, then applies the frequency modulation (FM) for attachment to your antenna. All of this happens internal to the changer, so it's not going to work unless the changer happens to also provide line-level outputs (doubtful).

The signal you want is in the changer, but getting to it is another matter. You would have to open up the changer and figure out where the inputs to the FM modulator are. You'd then have to bring those signals out of the case and make plugs for them. It would take someone with experience in this sort of thing to make it happen.

sluggo

• 1 month later...

You could always go with the poor college kid approach- portable CD player with tape deck adapter. Works great for me! More bass if I'm feelin ghetto (really gets that 10" sub pumpin), always got my CD player with me if I need it, and no more messing with getting in the trunk and changing out CD's. My factory one hasn't worked right since I got the car. Such a shame too, cause it's definitely the only way to bring out the true potential of that stereo system : ( By the way, sorry for the pretty much worthless post. Just tryin to keep the mood light around here! B)