Synthetic Or Regular Oil

It's largely an age related choice. Older folks http://www.saber.net/~monarch/leowarfield.JPG

know the 3 month / 3,000 miles oil change rule using conventional oil virtually guarantees you admission to the Toyota 400,000 mile club.

Younger folks are still learning and get all their information from the internet and car magazines which, of course, are loaded with advertizements by synthetic oil makers, oil analysis companies and specialty oil and air filter makers. These specialty companies pay the bills that finance these websites and magazines. The end result is that the internet and in car magazines have a strong bias in favor of synthetic oil, oil analysis, specialty filters and specialty oil additives.

If you end up deciding the Toyota engineers know more than the authors of the car care websites and car magazines then use factory original lubes, fluids and filters and change them more often than suggested in the maintenance schedule because the maintenance schedule is a MINIMUM allowable service frequency schedule. Factory original motor oil is Toyota Oil http://www.saber.net/~monarch/toyoil.jpg http://www.saber.net/~monarch/toyoilb.jpg which is a conventional oil and costs $1.60 - $2.00 a quart at Toyota dealers.

On the other hand, if you decide the car care magazines and websites are the ultimate authorities, then you'll probably be buying Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline or Royal Purple oil and extending your oil changes to 10,000 - 15,000 miles and paying $40 a shot to have your oil analyzed by a laboratory on a regular basis. You'll also probably be buying a $25 bottle of Auto-Rx oil additive from time to time to clean up goo that the websites say even synthetic oil can't clean up.

You're being a little judgemental, don't you think Monarch? Just because someone uses synthetic? I like 12 year old scotch in preference to 6 year old. I like Cuban cigars in preference to machine made. I like my women a little bit......well let's not go there.....I like Mobil 1, and I'm not a kid.

I was wondering if I should be using synthetic oil in my 99 gs300. I use regular oil and change it every 3000 miles.

Thanks

Oh no not again! :whistles: :cries: TAGGAR, do a search in these threads, there is almost a weekly debate about dino oil vs. synthetic. Have a look in the Maintenance forum. Amsoil & Mobil 1 are the most popular on this site, I use Amsoil myself after switching from Mobil 1. Good Luck! Just be very careful......these spark very heated debates. :ph34r:

:cheers:

It's largely an age related choice.  Older folks http://www.saber.net/~monarch/leowarfield.JPG

know the 3 month / 3,000 miles oil change rule using conventional oil virtually guarantees you admission to the Toyota 400,000 mile club.

Younger folks are still learning and get all their information from the internet and car magazines which, of course, are loaded with advertizements by synthetic oil makers, oil analysis companies and specialty oil and air filter makers. These specialty companies pay the bills that finance these websites and magazines. The end result is that the internet and in car magazines have a strong bias in favor of synthetic oil, oil analysis, specialty filters and specialty oil additives. 

If you end up deciding the Toyota engineers know more than the authors of  the car care websites and car magazines then use factory original lubes, fluids and filters and change them more often than suggested in the maintenance schedule because the maintenance schedule is a MINIMUM allowable service frequency schedule. Factory original motor oil is Toyota Oil http://www.saber.net/~monarch/toyoil.jpg http://www.saber.net/~monarch/toyoilb.jpg which is a conventional oil and costs $1.60 - $2.00 a quart at Toyota dealers.

On the other hand, if you decide the car care magazines and websites are the ultimate authorities, then you'll probably be buying Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline or Royal Purple oil and extending your oil changes to 10,000 - 15,000 miles and paying $40 a shot to have your oil analyzed by a laboratory on a regular basis.  You'll also probably be buying a $25 bottle of Auto-Rx oil additive from time to time to clean up goo that the websites say even synthetic oil can't clean up.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Lets see I do 12K drain in my es. If you want my last oil test let me know. So I am going 4 times what you are.

Also Toyota does not manufacture oil. It is normal Mobil oil that I was told from an oil rep and read online. It is NOTHING special here.

It is also interesting that I heard that Lexus will be using all synthetic in their autos in the upcoming years. Toyota designs or engineers the parts, not the engine oil.

Monarch - please keep on topic and please diversify your age discrimination. Weird that you bring up age, since my father is a retired state cop and he has been using synthetic longer then I have been alive.

After my wife’s old car and the varnish on the dipstick, you can’t not give me dino oil for free to use.

I would do a search since it is a powerful tool and this topic has been asked, well, a lot.

I agree with you (mburn) on this one, however, it has been shown the benefits of synthetic are not as great if you change the oil every 3thousand miles, as that's the lifespan of dino oils. It's wasteful to use Dino oils and you have the extra peace of mind using synthetics that you can go much longer intervals. <_<

Oil fights got two particular members in this thread banned on another Lexus site, I'm going to do my best to keep from having to ban them here too, but I will if I have to. So, from this point on no oil discussion threads will be allowed on the LOC because they ALWAYS descend into mayhem and nastiness.

There is more than enough info on this site if you use a search to make an informed decision about what to use. Its not your fault at all TAGGAR and you've done nothing wrong, unfortunately like most other things in life a few have spoiled this for the bunch. The people I'm talking about know who they are.

Sorry guys.