Emblem Removal Questions

branshew

I want to replace my hideous gold toned emblems with chrome ones on the trunk and grille. I don't have the LS400 Emblem, only the two "L" emblems (one on the trunk and one on the grille) and the "Lexus" text logo on the trunk. I have removed emblems from other cars before using a heat gun and fishing line but I'm not sure how these are attached and I don't want to wreck anything.

Are they attached via double sided tape, or are there tabs that protrude into the body? The "L" emblem on the grille appears to be much thicker (deeper) than the one on the trunk (1/4 - 3/8" vs. 1/8" on the trunk). I am wondering if I would have to replace the grille to get a new emblem. I haven't seen a replacement "L" that matches what is on the grille in terms of depth. I also need a source for the antenna mast cap that is also gold toned.

If anyone has done this or can shed any insight as to techniques and/or parts sources I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I read that one, but I wasn't sure if it would be different for an older year and different model.

Any thoughts on the grille emblem. It is definitely much thicker than the trunk emblem and seems to be bolted on?

Those are usually bolted or clipped on. You'll have to get a look at the back of the grill. Maybe loosen the upper fasteners of the grill and tilt it out a little.

The grill emblem is screwed on with one screw. The rear emblems both have pins that insert into the trunk lid. If you want to remove them you need to have a body shop shave them off....basically fill the hole with a small weld and then repaint a small area.

The grill emblem is screwed on with one screw.  The rear emblems both have pins that insert into the trunk lid.  If you want to remove them you need to have a body shop shave them off....basically fill the hole with a small weld and then repaint a small area.

I just want to replace them with chrome so If I can get them off then I should be able to put the replacements back on w/o any problems.