Sc 400 Nakamichi Cd Changer Question

I have a 1992 Lexus SC 400 with the Nakamichi system. The 12 disk cd player is skipping and I noticed on this forum that you can swap it out with a Lexus ES 300 cd changer. I have several questions on this..... First is the 1996 ES 300 changer the best one to get? Does it make a difference if it's a Pioneer or Nakamichi? I found a 1998 ES 300 with a Nakamichi 6 disk cd changer, will this work? Is it just a simple matter of plug and play or do you have to rewire the changer for it to work?

Thanks for assistance in this matter.......

I have a 1992 Lexus SC 400 with the Nakamichi system. The 12 disk cd player is skipping and I noticed on this forum that you can swap it out with a Lexus ES 300 cd changer. I have several questions on this..... First is the 1996 ES 300 changer the best one to get? Does it make a difference if it's a Pioneer or Nakamichi? I found a 1998 ES 300 with a Nakamichi 6 disk cd changer, will this work? Is it just a simple matter of plug and play or do you have to rewire the changer for it to work?

I did the post on the ES300 cd-changer. I have a 1992 SC400 with a Nakamichi system. THe 12 pack, stock, cd changer just would not work. I heard that an ES300 cd-changer with a 6-pack cartridge would work. I found one at a local mom & pop salvage yard. I drove my SC400 to the salvage yard and they let me test it by hooking it up in my trunk. When I first tried it, I got an ERR light on my head unit. (Phooey!) I went back to the unit setting in the trunk and pulled the cartridge out and looked at the cd. I had put it into the cartridge in up side down. When I corrected that, it worked fine. So I bought it and my mechanic rigged up a set of brackets and we installed it into my trunk. It has been working just fine for several weeks now. THe Nak Head unit recognised it immediately.

Attached is a picture of the setup. I took the pic before I cleaned the trunk up, but you can see how we positioned the unit.

When I originally posted this reply, I assumed that you had a pre 1996 cd-changer. I do not know if an after 1996 unit will work, but try to plug into it using the original cd-changer plugs.

TCM

post-17060-1113792406_thumb.jpg

I had the same problem with my stock CD changer and ordered a six disc changer from an ES 300 through the email below. It's been playing fine for over a year now. good luck

Buck

jill allen [dabaysidejill01@worldnet.att.net]

• 2 weeks later...

How picky is the ES Cd changer about what disks it will play compared to the stock one in the SC? Have you all noticed any difference? For example, it will only play CD's I burn, if i burn them very slow, and it wont play some at all depending on what brand of blanks i use. Its a trial and error process when burning a CD in order to make it play in my stock 12 disk Nak Changer in my 92'. Did you all experience anything like this with your Stock Nak changer? and is the ES changer any better about this? Thank you.

How picky is the ES Cd changer about what disks it will play compared to the stock one in the SC?  Have you all noticed any difference?  For example, it will only play CD's I burn, if i burn them very slow, and it wont play some at all depending on what brand of blanks i use.  Its a trial and error process when burning a CD in order to make it play in my stock 12 disk Nak Changer in my 92'.  Did you all experience anything like this with your Stock Nak changer?  and is the ES changer any better about this?  Thank you.

I was never able to get my stock 12 disk cd-changer to work, so I can't compare it to my ES300 6 disk changer. However, I have had No troble playing any CD that I have. Most of my cd's were created via my Computer and they work well in the cd-changer. I also have a couple of bought/pre-recorded cd's that are working well. The only problem with the new cd-changer is when/if I hit a particurlarly bad bump in the road. It will skip, But that is normal when you figure where it is mounted. (In the trunk, over the right rear wheel) Skipping with this changer is Not a normal occurrence.

• 1 month later...
So I don't see that it's been asked so far, and my apologies if it has but has anyone tried this with the optional 270 watt 10"sub 12disc Pioneer system in a 92 SC300? *fingers crossed*  :blink:

Will work just fine , Need one ?

OH! I forgot I have a 1992 ES changer in my garage. Didn't work in my ES but maybe it will in my SC (I doubt it...I think it's shot). As for "do I need one"..that depends. Got one for someone on a college kid's budget? :D

back to what sc400tuner was saying, i have a problem where certain cds would give the Err message, espessially on a burnt CD. 2 things ive noticed

1 burning with windows media player is not always relaible,

2 the cd manufacturer is important try dysan or maxell

if your having trouble like mine, say i would select track 6 on a disk it will go to another track like 11 and start at like 1:42 into the song

-thats just my situation, but it couldnt hurt to try

ohh, and even with high quality cds like verbatim that claim 32x-48x try 8x or 12x

it might help...

good luck

I've tryed different kind of cd's, I havne noticed that cheaper thiner coated cd's read better, but it runs much better depending on the burner its burnt in. An HP labtop burner 24x runs better then my kick butt(for the burning features) ASUS 48x. I'm just ready to get rid of it cause it drives me nuts.

My CD changer just conked out on me a few days ago, now I have a CD stuck in the changer. Anyone know how to get it out????

Also, my radio has been fading in and out every now and then. Any idea waht that is all about?

Dee

• 2 months later...
My CD changer just conked out on me a few days ago, now I have a CD stuck in the changer.  Anyone know how to get it out????

Also, my radio has been fading in and out every now and then.  Any idea waht that is all about?

Dee

Try taking the CD Holder out, close the lid and push the eject button. CD should drop out. Might scratch CD but at least it comes out. You might have to disconnect/reconnect battery to reset changer, for this to work.

• 5 months later...
My CD changer just conked out on me a few days ago, now I have a CD stuck in the changer.  Anyone know how to get it out????

Also, my radio has been fading in and out every now and then.  Any idea waht that is all about?

Dee

Try taking the CD Holder out, close the lid and push the eject button. CD should drop out. Might scratch CD but at least it comes out. You might have to disconnect/reconnect battery to reset changer, for this to work.

My CD changer just conked out on me a few days ago, now I have a CD stuck in the changer. Anyone know how to get it out????

Also, my radio has been fading in and out every now and then. Any idea waht that is all about?

Dee

Your amp is on it's way out. And the 12 disc changer is gone for good. I don't want to seem neg. but I have had too much experience with these.

There's a good chance the cd is stuck half in & half out. First, turn the console off, then back on, wait a minute to see if it might work. Try this a couple times. If that failes, slide open the changer lid, see if cd is visible. If so, run a dinner knife down the side and work the cd back into the cartridge. Try it again.

• 5 years later...

My 12X changer works as well as it needs to. I burn CD's at max speed (52x) using a burning studio not microsoft. The only problem I've encountered was with the inkjet printable cd's. The inkjet printable thickness was too much for the player and I had to use a knife to push the disks back into the cartridge to get the cartridge out.

You may want to try cleaning the laser lens. I have a disk with brushes on it and it has reserected many CD/DVD devices. Unless of course it's more serious than disks/media skipping.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question, and it may be silly. But I recently purchased my an sc400. I couldn't get in the trunk because main key didn't work. Long story short, I was able to get into the trunk for the first time and discovered an 12 disc changer in the trunk. The issue that I am having is trying to figure out how it works with my radio, because the is no CD button on it. How do you control it from the radio?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm kind of hoping it's a simple ant. wire coming off of the unit and needs to be plugged back in, but here's my situation. I have a '92 SC300 with factory stereo minus cd changer. Actually I have to SC300's, but that's for later. It plays tapes well...for a tape player...but the fm stereo rarely works properly. When it does start to pick up, I get a lot of low thumping from the factory sub, and even the larger factory front speakers begin to thump. On rare occasions, I can turn the stereo on and it's playing, but it's like it's not getting a full signal. I just want to try to avoid any unneccesary center console disassembly if at all possible. I don't mind doing it one...even twice...but if I can get others experience to know what the problem could be, it'd be helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question, and it may be silly. But I recently purchased my an sc400. I couldn't get in the trunk because main key didn't work. Long story short, I was able to get into the trunk for the first time and discovered an 12 disc changer in the trunk. The issue that I am having is trying to figure out how it works with my radio, because the is no CD button on it. How do you control it from the radio?

your trunk release is on the left side by fuel filler door ,cd player button at the right on radio,press the putton on top of cd changer to release cartridge "keep lid cosed till cartridge raises fully"