Water In The Tail Lights

george1

i just thought i'd mention how the water was getting in my tail lights and flooding them. water was getting in between the clear reverse light lense and the red outer lense. it is two separate pieces.

i fixed this by taking clear silicone and forcing it in the seam between the two lenses. i then used mineral spirits(paint thinner) to clean off the lense. while i was at it, i put a small drain hole in the bottom of each housing, incase water did get in again.

hope this helps anybody else with a similar problem.

i just thought i'd mention how the water was getting in my tail lights and flooding them.  water was getting in between the clear reverse light lense and the red outer lense.  it is two separate pieces.

i fixed this by taking clear silicone and forcing it in the seam between the two lenses.  i then used mineral spirits(paint thinner) to clean off the lense.  while i was at it, i put a small drain hole in the bottom of each housing, incase water did get in again.

hope this helps anybody else with a similar problem.

Excellent idea! B)

:cheers:

Can you post a pic? i've seen water run from the side of the trunk into the light area but then back out. I thought it was just a perfect drain/run off.

sorry, no pic.

i took a garden hose and put it against the tail-lamp(the one on the trunk lid), and i could see a stream of water inside filling it up. and when it does fill up, the only way to get it out is to open your trunk lid and then water comes out everywhere.

• 9 years later...

A clear epoxy would be a better bet, it won't peel off like the silicone. Since I have the same problems I am also thinking that the twist in light socket gaskets could leak too I'm sure water gets in and around that area even though its set back into the body. A lot of good those rubber vent hoses are, don't seem to vent good.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't contribute anything but I do have to replace the driver side lid mounted lens because it is cracked.

Anybody knows the instruction to remove it. It's a 1996 LS400.

I looked at the installation but I can't decide on where to start.

Probably remove the insulation on the trunk lid, discoonect the socket and determine how many nuts have to be removed.

I just took another look at it and the MY Lparts.com web site. I guess you have to replace the lens together with the housing. Makes for an expensive repair. $130.00 US

Appreciate any info.

If its one of the tail lights in the trunk lid then yes the panel inside has to come off. I only know the 90 to 94 well I think its the same on the 95 97's, then there are access holes for the nuts some have a rubber plug that you take out. I think it was an 8mm socket size nut.

Theres a gasket that holds it pretty tight could leave 2 nuts kitty corner and tap on the socket and extension with a compo thane hammer to loosen the light assembly. If you need help getting the trunk panel out when I have more time I'll explain my way.

Thanks for the reply Bob,

I'll try and remove it tomorrow. I think I can remove the inside panel, I removed a couple of the fasteners already.

I am not sure of where the nuts holding the light assembly are and how many. Hope it's obvious when I remove the panel.

I ordered a replacement but I was confused with the myLparts list and I think I only ordered the gasket. I am receiving it tomorrow. But now I'll concentrate on getting the broken lens off and see if I can do a patch job.

I'll take a pic tomorrow if I run into trouble and post it.

Fred