1000 Mile Service

LexusGuru

Hi eveyone! I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2005 RX330. I was wondering if the car requires a 1000 mile service after the break-in period. The owner's manual only mentions the 5k service. I have searched in other posts but there is no definite answer. I know that in the previous year lexus cars came with a 1k and 5k service for free, but i guess they changed it.

I took delivery on my 05 RX Nov. 1st. I just had the 5000 mile first service done a couple weeks ago. Along with the FREE oil change they will rotate your tires.

Good luck with the new RX. We love ours !

:cheers:

No oil change is REQUIRED until 6 months or 5,000 miles. However, you can change the oil more frequently if you want. The factory fill oil is genuine Toyota Oil http://www.saber.net/~monarch/toyoil.jpg which is available at Toyota dealers for anywhere between $1.50 and $2.30 a quart.

The correct replacement Toyota oil filter is part$ 90915-YZZD1 and costs about $5.50 at most Toyota dealers, around $7.50 at Lexus dealers, but is only $3.90 at 1sttoyotaparts.com

Beware Toyota and Lexus dealers don't generally use genuine Toyota Oil when they service your car. They use a wide variety of bulk oil suppliers to save money. So if you want to continue using the factory fill oil you need to purchase genuine Toyota Oil on your own and have someone install it or change it yourself.

Does the owner's manual explicitly state "Toyota oil only" when referencing oils? Or, is there a requirement that the oil meets XXXXX certification?

Does the owner's manual explicitly state "Toyota oil only" when referencing oils? Or, is there a requirement that the oil meets XXXXX certification?

No, the manual does not say "Toyota oil only" must be used, but says if it says if other brands are used they should be "the same 5W-30 weight specification and meet or exceed the API (American Petroleum Institute) SL grade specifications"

At Lexus.com and Toyota.com it also says not to use synthetic oil until the first scheduled oil change, not extend oil change intervals if using synthetic and further that "once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil."

C-Best settings are personlized settings that you can have the dealer program for you. I'm surprised the dealer didn't cover them during the delivery process. A few of the settings you can change are programming all the doors to open on one click with the key remote instead of two clicks or adjusting how long you want the headlights to stay on after you shut off the engine & lock the doors. There are at least 8 different things that can be reprogrammed on your vehicle. Check with the dealer for a list for your car. Hope this helps.

I received a pamphlet in the mail from my dealership 3 months after purchase with a list of the C-best settings ... what is standard, what is optional ... I don't think I'm having any of them changed though.

Possibly the one touch unlock function and maybe change it so that the A/C doesn't automatically come on when using the AUTO function on the HVAC.

C-Best settings are personlized settings that you can have the dealer program for you.  I'm surprised the dealer didn't cover them during the delivery process.  A few of the settings you can change are programming all the doors to open on one click with the key remote instead of two clicks or adjusting how long you want the headlights to stay on after you shut off the engine & lock the doors.  There are at least 8 different things that can be reprogrammed on your vehicle.  Check with the dealer for a list for your car.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for the clarification! The dealer did go over these with me, but i didn't know they were called c-best settings.

Consider using synthetic oil after your second oil change.  B)    ;)

What is the advantage of using synthetic oil ? Is it worth the extra $ for the average driver ? (No drag races, no off road, not a traveling salesman.)

Consider using synthetic oil after your second oil change.   B)    ;)

What is the advantage of using synthetic oil ? Is it worth the extra $ for the average driver ? (No drag races, no off road, not a traveling salesman.)

I notice that Lexusfreak is from Toronto. In my understanding, one advantage of synthetic oil is that it maintains a more uniform viscocity over temperatures - particularly cold temperatures. In the early (~1975) Honda Civics the engine oil was also the fluid in the manual transmission. I used synthetic oil for mine because a friend had had trouble shifting on start up on a skiing trip to the Sierra. He had to let the engine warm for a while to get the transmission unfrozen.

Synthetic may be a useful choice for those in very cold climates. I'm not convinced that there is an advantage to using it in most cars for those of us in California even with the occasional Sierra trip.

What is the advantage of using synthetic oil ? Is it worth the extra $ for the average driver ? (

If you look on the labels of all the major oil company brands of synthetic, none make claims of subtantially longer engine life or fuel economy. They just say synthetic flows better at subzero temps and doesn't break down as fast in extremely high temperatures. They don't say how much better and if you research the matter further you find the difference in sub zero pour points is just 5-10 degrees F compared to conventional oil. So the theoretical engine wear and fuel economy benefits of synthetic are marginal at best and negligible for most drivers. Ditto in regard to real world owner experiences. In the real world 600,000 -700,000 miles has been the

durability limit of Toyota engines regardless if the owners used conventional or synthetic oil.

Amsoil & Royal Purple are not major oil company brands. As is typical of off brand products, Amsoil & Royal Purple DO make claims of substantial engine wear and fuel economy - claims which captivate the attention of young people. So alot of young people are fans of Amsoil & Royal Purple.

For most owners of any production vehicle, regular dino oil performs just fine as long as you change your oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Enthusiasts who aim for getting 300,000 miles or more out of their engines may be slightly better off with synthetic, but I think that the vast majority of folks who get talked into switching to synthetic are just wasting their money unless they also increase the interval of time between oil and filter changes to 10,000 miles or more.

For most owners of any production vehicle, regular dino oil performs just fine as long as you change your oil and filter every 5,000 miles.  Enthusiasts who aim for getting 300,000 miles or more out of their engines may be slightly better off with synthetic, but I think that the vast majority of folks who get talked into switching to synthetic are just wasting their money unless they also increase the interval of time between oil and filter changes to 10,000 miles or more.

Let's see ...., I drive about 10,000 miles a year, it'll take me 30 years to get to 300,000 miles (60 years to get to 600,000 miles, which monarch claims is the typical lifetime of a Toyota engine), so if the sole purpose of using synthetic is prolonging engine life, then I don't think this is an issue for me.