Sale At Local Toyota Dealer

kpoon

my local toyota dealer is having a sale this weekend. they are selling toyo oil filters for $3.95 & toyo brake pads for 20% off. i'm thinking of getting both items for my '97 lx450. if i ask for those parts for a '97 land cruiser, they will fit my lx450, right? i just want to make sure before i buy them. also, what is a good price for brake pads? i want to make sure the dealer isn't overcharging me, even though they say they're giving 20% off. thanks for the help!

my local toyota dealer is having a sale this weekend.  they are selling toyo oil filters for $3.95 & toyo brake pads for 20% off.  i'm thinking of getting both items for my '97 lx450.  if i ask for those parts for a '97 land cruiser, they will fit my lx450, right?  i just want to make sure before i buy them.  also, what is a good price for brake pads?  i want to make sure the dealer isn't overcharging me, even though they say they're giving 20% off.  thanks for the help!

As far as motor, drivetrain, chassis components, Land Cruisers and LX-450's are one in the same, so you'll be fine there. I don't know about the price on the 80 series pads, but IIRC I paid in the low 20's (discounted price) per pair for 100 series pads last time around. Wouldn't think the 80 series would be too far off that.

Rookie

80 and 100 series pads are the same price, per my parts guy. You paid low 20s Rookie? I need to talk to you about getting parts ;)

I recently received a set of brake pads -- about 4 weeks ago. IIRC, my discounted price was around $44 per set for front brake pads.

80 and 100 series pads are the same price, per my parts guy.  You paid low 20s Rookie?  I need to talk to you about getting parts ;)

I recently received a set of brake pads -- about 4 weeks ago.  IIRC, my discounted price was around $44 per set for front brake pads.

Hmm... possibly I need to double check that. Maybe that was per pad :D. 44 per set seems higher than I paid though. Maybe the Kibble & Bits was on sale that weekend. I'll check my invoice.

:cheers:

Rookie

Edit: Checked the invoice. The total for all 4 pads was $41.50. BTW, after 8000 miles of usage, they seem to be holding up really well. I've got a ton of wear still left.

the 100 series pads are the same ones used on 98+ Land Cruisers and LX 470s. If you're going to a Toyota dealership, ask for a set for a 1998 Land Cruiser (same if you're at a Lexus dealership -- a 1998 LX 470...but why spend the extra cash at Lexus?).

The main advantage is that they are MUCH thicker than the LX 450 (80 series) pads.

The only thing you need to do when installing the pads is to NOT install the anti-squeel shims. Due to the thickness of the pads, the shims will not fit. These are the pair of metal shims that rest between each brake pad and the brake caliper pistons. Simply do not use the shims. The pads will fit easily -- the installation process is identical for both 80 series and 100 series pad installation.

Another reported advantage is better stopping power. This is fairly subjective however. What I did notice when comparing the 80 series vs. the 100 series pads is that the 100 series pads are both thicker (longer life) and larger/wider (possibly better braking due to more surface area contact) than the 80 series pads.

Make sure to ask for 1998 or 1999 Land Cruiser (LX 470) brake pads. There was a change to the brakes/pads on later model years.