Hir (not Hid) Bulbs

Sluggo

You may have already heard of these, but many have not. GE Lighting developed the technology and either licensed or sold it to Toshiba for automotive applications. It's a (almost) drop-in replacement for standard H4 bulbs that offers about 80% higher light output with no increase in electrical current. I've installed them on two cars and am very happy with the results.

Right now they're only licensed for use in Vipers, and the Dodge dealer gets $130 each, but there are people out there selling them for around $30. You have to trim one tab slightly to get them to fit, but other than that they're a drop-in replacement.

never heard of them

got more info?

They work by capturing the infrared spectrum of the light (which is what we feel as heat), and reflecting it back onto the filament. The filament thus gets hotter without requiring any more current from the car's lighting system. Hotter filament = more light output. And unlike the bulbs that burn hotter/brighter the conventional way (with more current) these actually keep the headlamp assemblies cooler.

The bulb, instead of being cylindrical, has a spherical bulge around the filament. Looks like a snake that ate a rat. The bulge section is coated on the inside with a material that reflects the IR and focuses it on the filament.

Light output on the low beams is 87% higher than standard, and the high beams are 50% higher than standard.

A link with some photos: HIR bulbs

I'm using them on my SC4 and my BMW.

sluggo

I went to your site them to candlepower and asked them they said it does not work,

got pics of your bulbs and your originals as candlepowers website has to be the cheapest annoying site with no proper navagation to it.

I went to your site them to candlepower and asked them they said it does not work,

got pics of your bulbs and your originals as candlepowers website has to be the cheapest annoying site with no proper navagation to it.

My site? I don't have a website. I was just linking to the info you asked for.

If Candlepower says they don't work, it's news to me. I can only guess they say that because they don't sell them and/or because they're only approved for Dodge Viper applications. I can assure you they that they work very well in my SC400 and BMW 850 (after trimming one tab a bit).

Thanks to Barkat for the additional info.

• 4 weeks later...

My site? I don't have a website. I was just linking to the info you asked for.

If Candlepower says they don't work, it's news to me. I can only guess they say that because they don't sell them and/or because they're only approved for Dodge Viper applications. I can assure you they that they work very well in my SC400 and BMW 850 (after trimming one tab a bit).

Thanks to Barkat for the additional info.

I bought these and extremely happy and total price was $20.00 shipped

Good review in a car magazine. I've been next to cars with hids and they look the same, on the ground and looking at directly. Nice to look out at.

here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7973358866&rd=1

How long have you had the HILITE bulbs? Personally, I have the impression that all of these aftermarket bulbs burn out within the first 10 months of use.

Do they shine a hyper-white with a noticeable bluish tint?

How long have you had the HILITE bulbs? Personally, I have the impression that all of these aftermarket bulbs burn out within the first 10 months of use.

1 month and yes on tint.

When I just took pic, I left it on for about an hour and it still was pretty cool to the touch. Top lense cover.

Even if it bulb burns out in 10 months. I'll just order another pair for $20.00

Here's a couple of shots of the lights. Stock is on passenger side, HIR on driver's side. I think the difference would be even more dramatic if my refractor glass wasn't so dirty on the bulb side. Just noticed that tonight, I don't usually look at my lights from the front of the car, lol.

post-16610-1115704790_thumb.jpg

post-16610-1115704809_thumb.jpg

sluggo