Driving A 2005 Es330 For A Loaner, Only 1k Miles!

SW03ES

Hey everybody, just wanted to let you know I have a brand new 05 ES, silver on black, as a loaner while mines in the shop. I've driven the 05 before but this is the first time I've driven it at legnth.

First of all for styling I do like the new rear treatment but I still really dont care for the headlights. The grille and the fascia are okay, but the new headlights aren't my thing. Also still dont care for the new wheels.

Love the new steering wheel with the radio controls and the A/C seats. Shoulda had those in 02...

One thing I really dont like (this is the first 05 I've seen with the black interior) is the new silver color of the plastic surrounding the radio and the door handles vs the graphite on my 03. Its extremely garish and cheap looking to me, why they did this I don't understand.

Also, still dissapointed in the ride changes that come from the 17inch wheels. Not a lot of difference around town (interestingly enough) but on the highway it makes the car feel less solid, the ride seem somewhat jittery and harder.

So, the ES is still a great car but I'm very happy to stay in my 03 until I can get into an LS.

I've only owned one Lexus, a 2005 ES330.

I live in AZ, and believe me A/C in the seats is the greatest thing since sliced bread :cheers:

Anyway, the interior looks are what sold me on the car. I have the woodgrain but I know what you are saying about the trim in general. Most of the other cars I looked at were not layed out as ergonomically as this one.

I looked at others including the Infiniti and man, that interior is garish!

Enjoy the car. How does the old saying go.... Drive it like ya stole it!

Oh the layout of the interior is superb, same as in my 03. The only thing thats changed is the tone of that plastic trim. I agree about the Infiniti, that "fake alluminum" look is very garish.

I agree with you on the rim size/ride quality and the silver plastic trim. I rode in my co-worker's '05 ES last week and had the same impressions. I do like the new headlights a little bit more though. I think the previous models were too bug-eyed (for lack of a better term) with that bulge. Maybe it's because they're a little more LSish?

I'd also be interested to see your thoughts on the new power plant. I didn't get to drive so I couldn't really compare.

SW03ES,

Totally agree with you regarding the styling (headlights, etc.) and the cheap-looking "faux aluminum" dashboard. Can't believe how Lexus has screwed up the ES-series.

Hesitation and tranny shifting issues in the newer ES-series make my wife's '98 ES300 seem like the one with the advanced technology. The driveability problems in the new ES-330s are a deal-breaker for me!

Martin

I dont see any difference in the power myself. The engine sounds a little throatier than my 3.0, but thats a good or bad thing depending on your opinion.

Another interesting observation is the headlights aren't nearly as bright as the ones in my ES, which is strange as the projectors are supposed to be brighter.

Another interesting observation is the headlights aren't nearly as bright as the ones in my ES, which is strange as the projectors are supposed to be brighter.

Steve, the projector headlights on the 05 ES, do they swivel like the RX or GS when you go around a corner to help illuminate where the road goes and not so much where you are pointed?

steviej

I dont see any difference in the power myself. The engine sounds a little throatier than my 3.0, but thats a good or bad thing depending on your opinion.

I didn't think there would be a huge difference in power, but I expected it to be quite noticable. :)

:cheers:

I looked at others including the Infiniti and man, that interior is garish!

I couldn't agree more. I almost bought a G35. I told the salesman I didn't like the appearance of the dash. He said that that is a frequent complaint and they have a local shop that they work with who converts it from cheap metal to real wood (your choice of something like 7 types of wood). The price was quite reasonable-something like $700.

If I had bought the G35, I'd have had that done before the car ever left the dealer. What an UGLY stock design.

Steve, the projector headlights on the 05 ES, do they swivel like the RX or GS when you go around a corner to help illuminate where the road goes and not so much where you are pointed?

steviej

Again, I have never owned a Lexus until this one, but my headlights do go up and down depending on distance to the object in front of you (at least thats how I think it works). They don't turn slightly left or right that I've noticed, but they do go up and down.

As for brightness, they do have the blue-ish tinge and compared to my wife's new Equinox, they are much brighter and whiter.

Again, I have never owned a Lexus until this one, but my headlights do go up and down depending on distance to the object in front of you (at least thats how I think it works). They don't turn slightly left or right that I've noticed, but they do go up and down.

The self leveling headlights will adjust up or down depending on the cars suspension geometry. As an example: If you have people in your rear seat, the back of your car is lower then normal, so instead of your headlights blinding an oncoming driver, your headlights lower their beam automatically.

Just drove mine at the dealer (see my brake grinding thread) and its definately noticably smoother than the 05, funny.

As for the power, no I really dont feel ANY power difference between them at all. The 3.3 is throatier for sure though.

Also another observation about the seats, they seem much firmer than mine and the shape is slightly different, dont know if thats because mine are worn in and melded to my shape or not but they're definately more comfortable.

Love the A/C seats though lol