I Think I Have Made A Desicion

ArmyofOne

I want either a large car or a truck, preferably a large car. one that will not fold up easily. this is where the LS comes in.

When i get back from ADR, i will begin looking for a car to buy, i will have over $14K in the bank. what do 95-97 LS's and 98-2000 LS's usually go for? i would love to have the one that does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. :D

im thinking 10,000 down would be a decent down payment.

Army, I picked mine up last May w/ 84k on the clock for $14,200. I got it from a lexus dealership. I paid a little more than normal, but I got my money's worth when I hit them with the ecu replacement under their 3000k / 90 day warranty. Plus I had them do the 90k service as well, which saved thousands as well. NADA for a 98 with 60,000 miles, nak stereo and trac control is:

Trade in = $17,825

Loan = $16,350

Retail = $21,150

ps, homer and i are having to negotiate a bit. he sent me the parts, but misunderstood what i needed. when he faxed me the invoice, he was charging me full retail. we're working on fixing everything. i sent him a fax with exactly what i want, and how much each part costs at the discount toyota parts place. said he'll get it all fixed.

I'd say good prices for the first run(95-97) of the generation would be in the $10k-$13k range for lower mileage cars and for the 98-00 $15k-$25k...I'd only go near $25k if the car has really low miles...like 30's or 40's. Something to think about is the 98-00's have an electric throttle, so it might not mesh with your style. There are a few complaints about it in here. ;)

Why not a truck that can get to 60 in less than 6.3?? SVT Lightning :whistles: lol Supercharged 5.4! :wub: I could only imagine what insurance would be!

Well, from the misfortunate, I hope you don't invest so much in a car that is not worth the book value again.

Do you like SUVs? LX, Land Cruiser.............:whistles:

I do like SUV's, but try finding an LX/LC that isnt beat to hell around here. the other option is a toyota 4 runner. :unsure:

I wont make the same mistake twice. i did it last time cause i had nop other alternative really, i had already bought it. if you will recall, i rcieved 98% of my purchase price back, so i would like to think i came out even. now i am carless again.

I had someone offer to trade me a ford Festiva for my car. they are neat little cars too...i wonder...

If i get that, it will make me miss my contour, because the 4 cylinder in the contoru would drop into the festiva quite easily.

My othe roption is a new Jeep Wrangler that i like so much. so here are the choices:

New/Slightly Used Jeep Wrangler

Used LS400

Mid 90's used 4runner (i dont liek the newer styles)

Land Cruiser/LX that hasnt been totalled and rebuilt

Possibly a GS.

My only concern with buying a used SUV is the abuse it substained from the previous owner. Cars run on roads. SUV's run on everything, mud, gravel, all of it. I bought a 94' Jimmy SLT back in 97. It had 25,000 miles on it. Turned into the biggest pain in the tail because the guy who owned it before me, had a young son, and he drove it off road quite a bit. That wear and tear made that Jimmy not see the 60,000 mile mark with me. I'm not kidding, suspension, struts, brakes, leaf springs, bushings, mounts, seats....you name it. But again, it was a chevy after all. My opinion, used car or new suv. And of course you know what used car I recommend!! The LS 400!!! :cheers:

Just becareful with a used suv. You don't want a shiny, freshly waxed, new looking,,,,,,, mud buggy.

My only concern with buying a used SUV is the abuse it substained from the previous owner. Cars run on roads. SUV's run on everything, mud, gravel, all of it. I bought a 94' Jimmy SLT back in 97. It had 25,000 miles on it. Turned into the biggest pain in the tail because the guy who owned it before me, had a young son, and he drove it off road quite a bit. That wear and tear made that Jimmy not see the 60,000 mile mark with me. I'm not kidding, suspension, struts, brakes, leaf springs, bushings, mounts, seats....you name it. But again, it was a chevy after all. My opinion, used car or new suv. And of course you know what used car I recommend!! The LS 400!!!  :cheers:

Just becareful with a used suv. You don't want a shiny, freshly waxed,  new looking,,,,,,, mud buggy.

The other thing is, the next car i buy to get me by for more than few months will come froma dealer and have somewhat of a warranty.

when i say buy a used SUV, im not talking about a 20 year old truck. Im in a position now where a 3 year old truck is in my price range, or at least i will be in 6 months.

Army, I think you would like any of the 4-Runners from 1996 and later. The 3.0 liter engines in the pre-96 models is just not enough engine for the weight of the vehicle.

The engine was upgraded to a 3.4 liter in 96. This made a world of difference.

I had a 96 from early 2000 to last November, when I sold it and bought a 2004 Sequoia. I put over 70,000 miles on it and had no problems whatsoever.

I sure wouldn't buy an SUV right now.  With gas going up so fast, prices on used (and new) SUV's are dropping like a rock.  I'm very glad I don't have one right now.

I dont much care about gas prices. It cant get any worse mileage that what the lex was getting (abotu 13.5 city), and if it doesnt, i dont care, im not gonna drive a car thats gonna fold in half hould i hit something or get hit. Im sick of totalling cars. and if it is going to fold in half, i want it easily repairable, and a Jeep wrangler will accomplish this. but they are severely unstable with any kind fo sudden movements, the 4runners are better, by far.

and you are right, i wouldnt mind having one from 96 and up, especially a limited. accordeing to KBB, a 1998 Limited SR5 with a gold package shoudl run around $16,000. i can pay cahs for that and only have to pay an insurance payment, but i probably wont, so i can build up my credit.

I look at it like this, i take a chance buying any used car, but if i buy from a BIG dealer (something like Leadership ford or Gullo Toyota) then sure there will be less haggle on the price, but more importantly, i get some gauruntee that the car has at least passed inspection and runs decently, because most big time dealers dont take piece of *BLEEP* cars as trades. I was even told by several dealers that they wouldnt take my Lexus as a trade for more than $200 (when it wasnt wrecked) because it was too old. There are exceptions to the rule, but not very often and those i will steer clear from.

the only thing stopping me from a "big" car is that i REALLY want a manual trans. maybe i will get the good car and then get a small beater to putz around in with a 5 speed, that way i get the best of both worlds...

I sure wouldn't buy an SUV right now.  With gas going up so fast, prices on used (and new) SUV's are dropping like a rock.  I'm very glad I don't have one right now.

I would have thought the same thing, but when I picked up my LS today I was taken to the new Manaheim facility in MD by the dealer I got the car from. (He wanted to look at a couple of SL 500s that were on the block) While there I was asking alot of questions about some of the cars on sale and he told me that SUVs are commanding a higher premuim at the auctions now than they were 6 months ago.

Army - If you want something reliable then stick with a Toyota product. Every Jeep owner that I know has sold or traded theirs in at the end of the warranty period b/c (according to them) they are such POS. My soon to be brother in law bought an "05 Cherokee in January and it has already been in for warranty work 6 times.

One thing you've got to realize is had you not:

1. Hit a truck with a bumper higher than yours

2. Been in a car worth so little

it wouldn't have been totalled. That damage was 5k or so with used parts, had it been a newer car worth more they definately would have repaired it istead of writing it off. The LS wouldnt have been any sturdier in that accident, the car did what it was designed to do, fold up. The only reason an SUV wouldnt have is because the bumper would have been the same height. SUVs nowadays are built like cars anyway because they're cheaper and safer that way.

One thing you've got to realize is had you not:

1. Hit a truck with a bumper higher than yours

2. Been in a car worth so little

it wouldn't have been totalled. That damage was 5k or so with used parts, had it been a newer car worth more they definately would have repaired it istead of writing it off. The LS wouldnt have been any sturdier in that accident, the car did what it was designed to do, fold up. The only reason an SUV wouldnt have is because the bumper would have been the same height. SUVs nowadays are built like cars anyway because they're cheaper and safer that way.

As usual Steve, you completely....

made an excellent point. :) i did not think about that. It doesnt make me feel much safer though...I would feel safer in a bigger Vehicle. but i am trying to think that higher doesnt mean safer. I think at this point it will come down to what i find first.

As for jeeps not being reliable, granted, it would be a PITA for it to break down every week, but at the same time, i will have all the tools and the shop needed to do all my own work. and i may still get an older one which has been set through it spaces. I have seen some with a few hundred thousand miles on them before. so its not impossible.

BUT, i will probably stick with toyota, its just so hard to go back. the build quality differences are incredible. I felt MUCH safer in my 1990 Lexus than in my 1995 Ford. Because i knew it was built better. that ES was a SOLID car, its a shame to see it go, but i may be back with a ford temporarily before a few days have gone by. (see my accident post).

So having wrekced a Ford and a Toyota, i would much rather (if i have to be in a wreck) be in a wreck in the toyota.

However, getting the LS doesnt solve the manual trans problem...i hate automatics. I dont feel like i have complete control of my car.

As far as safety from injury there aren't many cars you'd be safer in during an accident than a Lexus, if you mean safer from damage an SUV is less likely to be damaged to the extent your ES was in a similar accident.

As far as safety from injury there aren't many cars you'd be safer in during an accident than a Lexus, if you mean safer from damage an SUV is less likely to be damaged to the extent your ES was in a similar accident.

hmm...then why not search for the best of both worlds, what about a GX or LX?

I have a coworker that has a GX that I've ridden around in a lot the past few days and its very nice, as is the LX.

Both are really expensive though, even used.

Man when i get out, i will have close to $15k in the bank, maybe more with 6 months of $2000 a month in addition to my $14K sign on bonus.

add this to the fact that i wiull not have to pay any rent or food (i get meal cards and housing for free). i will have a LARGE amount of cash incoming and a small amount outgoing. i dont want to max myself out, but i will be able to afford anything at or below 30K.

I know $2k a month isnt much, btu when you arent paying a mortgage and all that its alot.

all i have to pay on are a car note and insurance and cell phone everything else is taken care of.

30K would be my MAX. as high as i could confortabley go.

according to KBB, i can get one for around $25k (a 1998 LX). thats not bad...but its almost 8 years old...

a GX is completely out of the question now, they came out in 03 and according to KBB, i can expect to pay around $45k for an 03...yikes.

I have a coworker that has a GX that I've ridden around in a lot the past few days and its very nice, as is the LX.

Both are really expensive though, even used.

Man when i get out, i will have close to $15k in the bank, maybe more with 6 months of $2000 a month in addition to my $14K sign on bonus.

add this to the fact that i wiull not have to pay any rent or food (i get meal cards and housing for free). i will have a LARGE amount of cash incoming and a small amount outgoing. i dont want to max myself out, but i will be able to afford anything at or below 30K.

I know $2k a month isnt much, btu when you arent paying a mortgage and all that its alot.

all i have to pay on are a car note and insurance and cell phone everything else is taken care of.

30K would be my MAX. as high as i could confortabley go.

according to KBB, i can get one for around $25k (a 1998 LX). thats not bad...but its almost 8 years old...

a GX is completely out of the question now, they came out in 03 and according to KBB, i can expect to pay around $45k for an 03...yikes.

i think i found it. a 2000 LS4 can be had for around $26k. thats about right.

a Brand new Kia or a Fully loaded 5 year old LS? which would you choose?

looks like with a 6.71% interest rate, my payment would be $402 or so at 48 months. thats a bank breaker there...cutting it a little close...but doable.

aww who am i kidding? a 200) LS400? im dreaming! it will have to be a 95-97 series. but those ECU problems scare me.

HOWEVER: at 6.71% for 12 months my payment would be $89.00 a month LOL, THAT i can handle. thats if i put 10K down. and actualy, lets make $20k the money limit here...i just went over the finances, and $500 a month car payments, i would get tired of ...really quick.

Army - I think you should definitely get a 95+ LS. You've been through it all with your ES, and you've gained so much knowledge. In a short time as you know I've had the pleasure to compare a 98LS to a 93ES to a 92LS. While I know you would have loved my 5speed ES, there just was no comparison to the LS. Even my wife who loves 5 speeds like me conceded that the 92LS was far superior. So reluctantly I sold the ES last week. Right now I am reading "The Lexus Story" and the whole development of Lexus was centered on the LS (by the way it was almost called the "Alexis" but there was a character on the TV show "Dallas" of the same name). I loved every minute of my ES, and it did share a lot with the LS. And I especially appreciate when someone like you restores an original older model. But every day I see my 92 in the garage I can't believe that I have a $42,000+ car in my garage that can run like new that I bought for pennies on the dollar. For some people the ES fits their needs better and I respect that. But in the case of earlier years, the price difference on the used market is negligable, considering the large price difference when new (and even more of a price gap when considering that the first years LS was really underpriced in order to sell large numbers). To me it does not matter that I may have to spend a thousand or a few hundred to keep it in tip top shape each year. With your experience and your replationship with a Lexus repair "expert", you know what to look for and I'm sure you will find a solid LS at a great price if thats direction you head.

Get the newest LS you can afford. That said, be realistic. I say pay cash and get an older first or early second gen LS, that would be realistic for you. With some of the left over money you can mod, repair, and restore. With the remaining money you could have a nice down payment on a house! Don't blow all the army money on a new car!

what about a red is300

I dont like the IS's, tey are rattle boxes.

I dont intend to blow it all on one car. you guys arent getting something LOL. i need to biuld credit, as i have none. therefore a car payment is easiest for me to do that.

I found a 1998 for $18,500, with 7500 down, my payments would still be $250 a month. that i can do. i think 1998 woudl eb the lowest i woudl be willing to go unless it had REALLY low miles. under 60K preferable. but if its gonna have over 90K, it will have had the 90K service done.

Army, not to be a smart a** amigo, but with no credit, are you sure can get that loan rate? Have you been prequalified yet? I understand you motive, and an installment loan is a kick a** way to build it up. But as a lender myself, when I get someone with no credit, it reads almost the same as bad credit, and therefore makes the interest rate move up.

FYI: Homer is hooking me up, we're getting it all set straight. Got the front parts today and wish I could change them out RIGHT NOW! I'm cutting it close with these bad control arms, got lots of bangin', clankin' and shimmyin' goin' on.

Army - I think you should definitely get a 95+ LS.

I know I am biased - as I have a GS.

But - my father has a '96 LS, and I have driven it a fair bit (its sat outside my house right now while I detail it for him).

They are beautiful cars - I would not say anything else.

BUT - the MKII GS is a "better" drive (IMHO), in that it is a more direct drive, better feel for the road etc.

The MKIII LS is too light and floaty for my liking - a very nice ride, but not "involved" enough for me.

Now - I've not driven an ES, so i don't know what sort of drive you are used to.

But - this thread was not giving you enough options - so I had to throw at least one more car in the mix - just to make things a bit harder :lol::lol: