Would You Purchase Another Gs?

I get between 21.5-23.5 mpg with SRT intake and Borla exhuast (GS430). If you worried about purchasing premium over regular to save a few bucks buy a hybrid.

17 gallons x $2.45 USD = 41.65 premium

17 gallons x $2.25 USD = 38.25 regular

So you're talking about saving $3.40 on fillup for a $50k car. If you fill up once a week every week for a year you will save $176.80. If you are making payments on the car I would venture a guess that $177 wouldnt even be a 1/2 payment for once month.

Does anyone else see this with people complaining about gas prices. You guys over in Europe, you can definitely complain, americans still don't understand how cheap we have it compared to you guys.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's be realistic, almost everyone in this forum will say good things about their Lexus.  I bought my 2001 Pre-Owned GS300 a month ago and can't wait until I get to drive it again on my way home tonight.  Smooth, quiet, sharp looking, and prestigous. 

The only negative about the Lexus brand is that you will pay a little more for labor/parts when you have a problem arise (but you won't pay as much for parts as you do for M-Benz parts).

If you have the cash, they are solid cars and well worth the money spent.  A Lexus LS430 is next on my list

i agree totally about how much you have to pay for parts. Mercedes parts are off the chart! You can't even compare lexus part costs wit mercedes. Ughhhh

Hmmm.. Do I love my 01 GS300? YES

Not sure if I would buy another...not becuase there is anything wrong, there is just not enough time in life to drive all the cars I want, so buying another would reduce the amount of cars I could own ;)

I had an 01 330Cic that I loved, great car while living in Cali, sold it and got the GS300 which is MUCH better for New England...I think I may got for something like an S500 next...not sure...ohhh, I do like how Nissan changed the M45, maybe I'll try that next ;)

Not too happy with how noisy it is for a Lexus.

Next would be LS430. (all wheel drive if possible)

I dont own a gs, but an older ls400 and I have noted in that forum that the tire purchase can make all the difference in the world. Tires have come a long way in recent years and it really pays to research them. I read the consumer reviews at tirerack.com- I don't think you can beat the collective opinions of people who actually own the tires. After there are at least 20 or 30 of them or so, I think you can get a rough idea of what the tires are like. My primary concern is quietness, since I drive like a geezer. I can tell you that switching from an expensive performance tire to Yokohama avid v4s was like turning off a blender in the car's interior. What a difference. Since then I put Goodyear triple treads on my wife's Volvo x/c 70 based on the collective opinions of other owners and again what a difference from the previous oem tires. I think they are even quieter than the Yokohamas. I've got enough mileage on both sets of tires at this point to be satisfied that this is the way they are, and they seem to handle fine to me. Just my 2 cents, but I think it would be worth your time to get the right rubber.

I never ever used prim in my 2002 gs430 and never ever had any pings, problems, etc.

In my new 2006 GS430 I was told by someone who knows I should use prim every other tank full or go half reg and half prim. Most likley ill use the cheep stuff cause a Lexus is made so fine she dont care what I feed her!!! :chairshot:

I never ever used prim in my 2002 gs430 and never ever had any pings, problems, etc.

In my new 2006 GS430 I was told by someone who knows I should use prim every other tank full or go half reg and half prim.  Most likley ill use the cheep stuff cause a Lexus is made so fine she dont care what I feed her!!!  :chairshot:

That's crazy talk! Everything I have read states putting the extra octane into a car that requires the low-stuff does nothing; however, putting low-stuff into a car that require high-stuff can diminish the performance... I have read that in a few auto mags...and whether its accurate info or not, if you can afford a 50k car, why wouldn't you just spend the extra $3/tank and put what the manu recommends?

not picking on you as much as trying to understand the logic...

In my new 2006 GS430 I was told by someone who knows I should use prim every other tank full or go half reg and half prim.  Most likley ill use the cheep stuff cause a Lexus is made so fine she dont care what I feed her!!! :chairshot:

That's crazy talk! Everything I have read states putting the extra octane into a car that requires the low-stuff does nothing; however, putting low-stuff into a car that require high-stuff can diminish the performance... I have read that in a few auto mags...and whether its accurate info or not, if you can afford a 50k car, why wouldn't you just spend the extra $3/tank and put what the manu recommends?

not picking on you as much as trying to understand the logic...

I used the middle grade octane. (I think it was 89) for a couple of tanks. More out of habit (My SHO ran fine on this stuff). I didn't notice a difference until I filled up and used the correct premium fuel, car definitely had more power.

Back in the old muscle car days, if you ran incorrect fuel (Chevron offered Custom Supreme, 106 octane) your engine let you know about it in short order, to the point of burning holes in the pistons. That was the days when you set your timing with a timing light. I remember sitting in the staging lanes at the Fallnationals at SIR before the class final in Super Stock Eliminator and wanting to !Removed! the timing a couple of degrees because the air had changed. Didn't have time to go get the light, so we looked around and found a 3 degree rock. Tapped the distributor with the 3 degree rock. Later checked it and it was exactly where we wanted it. Won class that day, but I digress.

Your engine may not tell you that it is unhappy with your selection of fuel grade. The computer won't let it knock, but that doesn't mean it's running efficiently. Bite the bullet, use the correct grade fuel. You wouldn't drink animal beer (Schmitt) because it was a cheaper than <insert favorite brew here> would you? :cheers:

I just ordered a GS430 Black/chasmere and am looking forward to driving it. What does the manual say about gas octane? I have had MB's in the past, but their quality is gone and their price has skyrocketed. They are NOT worth the money. The BMW's new look doesn't soot me.

• 2 years later...

Maybe! '98 GS400 since new; 148,000 mi. perfect car, no parts replacements, fast as the wind. Not sure of new ones with the "Bigger L" on the front.

Disapointed that GS300 has more H.P. then 400/430. Hybrid, Not! Will wait for next GS V8 or just keep on keepin on with my wonderful "98.

Power Pack

Eugene, Oregon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Not too happy with how noisy it is for a Lexus.

Next would be LS430. (all wheel drive if possible)

I am not so sure I would at this time. The road noise is annoying and very distracting from a comfortable ride. I am in the process of finding a resolution with different tires. I would definitely feel differently if the noise levels were as low as my old Camry!

Shoulda had a V8. Definitely would purchase again but go with a GS 430. GS 300 is a little anemic, but very smooth. By the way with those dealer troubles with your paint, you gotta work em brother. Go in real nice and ask for the manager. Tell him/her you been patient but this is their last chance before you go to corporate , the BBB and the NTSB. They hate that negative PR and will probably respond. Your paint should not be doing that. By the way, anyone in Georgia should go to the dealer in Augusta. They are ranked #1 in service satisfaction nationwide and treat you like you bought a Rolls Royce.

• 4 months later...

I definitely get another one. I love driving my ex-GS300 out of town trips. I now owns an 05 Evo8 but still comes in the GS forum to check on the news. I wish I could kept the GS and just buy the Evo but budget is tight so I had to trade it in especially at a value I could not refuse. Many place would gave me $5K to $6K but the place I traded it for my Evo gave me $9.5K for it with a 137K miles and some body rust under due to aging. I took real good care for that baby when it was mine. I hope whoever bought it will do the same.... :rolleyes:

We bought my wife a white 98 GS300 with 120,000 miles.

I was so impressed I sold my 91 Supra and 86 4Runner to get a sweet black GS400 with 148,000 miles.

I will do all the work on these cars myself except of course mount and balance tires.

Hers a pic of the one I picked up last week...

DSC01684.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Nope. Too many problems that can't be fixed which are just plain stupid engineering on the part of Lexus.

Wheel shimmy...just read the forums!

Creaking/rattling dash.

Bad tire wear on the inside of rear tires.

Low idle.

Smelly air conditioner.

Poor ride with stock tires.

I have thrown tons of money at these issues and all are still present.

I'll give Audi or Infiniti a try. Lexus does some things better than anyone, but engineering isn't one of them.

Nope. Too many problems that can't be fixed which are just plain stupid engineering on the part of Lexus.

Wheel shimmy...just read the forums!

Creaking/rattling dash.

Bad tire wear on the inside of rear tires.

Low idle.

Smelly air conditioner.

Poor ride with stock tires.

I have thrown tons of money at these issues and all are still present.

I'll give Audi or Infiniti a try. Lexus does some things better than anyone, but engineering isn't one of them.

Those are such minor issues compared to what Nissan Maximas have or other poorly "engineered" japenese cars have.

On my 2000 Nissan Maxima, there was not a single part that didn't need to get changed during the time I owned it. Defective ignition coils, bad O2 sensors, engines burning away quarts of oil, gas mileage of single digits. I bought it in 2003 with 80k miles coming out of NJ by a female driver. I am glad I got rid of my maxima and I am planning on only getting a Lexus.