93 Sc300 Air Conditioning R134a

Before I purchased my 1993 SC300, the A/C was retrofitted with R134a, and the charge seems OK and it seems to be holding freon fine over the last couple of months. As with all R134a retro's I have seen, it blows cold when moving, but looses cooling capacity at stoplights--bad thing in Hot South Alabama. I have improved this in other cars by hotwiring condensor fan, but this does not seem an option on the SC300.

I guess anyway to retrofit a condensor fan without messing up the existing airflow environment would help, or any other way to get air across the condensor at a stop.

The other option is to go back to R-12 or be hot at stops.

I am already looking into window tint options as well.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bill Harrison

R12 is available but only from an EPA Lisenced dealer. Deal is they have to certify that they collect all R-12 and do not allow any to escape. Second they will test your AC System for leaks. If they find any they will fix them before recharging. Then they fill up your system. Total cost at your local non deaaler shop is $200-$400 per trip. If you have an older car that leaks a bit of freon every year you will be paying the "Al Gore Toll" on a regular basis. R-12 used to cost a couple of bucks a can and with a $15 reuseable part you can put it in yoursef. It is pretty easy.

Lets hope it really saves the ozone layer but I have my doubts.

Rave

Rave, AWJ,

I am not an expert, but have looked into the R12 thing shadetree style.

Getting the license to use R12 is not a big deal. Read a 20 page book and take a test. Then you can buy the stuff legally. As for discharging the R134a charge to recharge, well, that is not legal, yes, even for the R134a. Supposed to have a collector. Had a friend that ran a hose to a jar in a freezer--the freon travels to the coldest place. It is legal if it leaks out.

Pretty much anybody can get R12 on e-bay.

Honestly, I would rather make the R134a work just because down the road you will have to fight the R12 adversities anew. Asked a parts man about retrofit condensor fans, and he had done one of his cars with a 96-98 Honda twin fan. I will look for a universal aftermarket fan to simplify installation.

Thanks.

Bill Harrison

I think adding a small condenser fan would be the best idea.Trying and revert back to r12 would take buying a new accumulator and draining all the r12 oil and evacuating the system.If you dont do it correctly you'll eventually wipe the ac system out due to contamination.Getting more air flow on the condenser unit would be the best idea.... B) :D

I found a new solution last night on e-Bay. Previous post is correct R-12 is available on e-bay. E-Bay stated policy is you must have an EPA Lisence to buy. My guess is this is not strictly enforced but I could be wrong. Another option is Freeze 12. Lots of folks selling it on e-bay lots cheaper than R-12. Search and you will find the manufacturers home page with all kinds of sales and tech info available. Has anyone tried this stuff? Manufacturer claims Freeze 12 can be added to existing R-12 or R-134a systems with no changes-just top off. Sounds too good to be true. Price is right less than $10/can if you buy several at a time. http://freeze-12.com/.

Rave

• 1 year later...

dear all,

i have made a post regarding freeze-12 or other such "so called" substitutes to be very dangerous to use. they are not approved and are illegally brought in from other countries.

made with propane, they are extremely flamable. if u need recharge, that means there's a leak, and that means u can easily light yourself up, trying to light your cigerette.

thanks.

can someone PLEASE send me a picture of where i can put in the 134a? i cant find the valve. does it goes in the hight pressure side? where is it?

thanks much

Thanks VGR,

I see a black cap right on the engine a little deeper inside, a little hard to reach also. and another one right under my nose right over the bumper..

so the one with the black cap deeper inside one is the one i hook up the 134?

thanks..