Rebuilding Brake Calipers?

I was shocked when I looked and found the rear brake rotors were completely rusty. It was warping with half shiny surface just several months ago.

I showed it to my mechanic and he told me that I need to replace the calipers.

I am wondering if I can restore the calipers by cleaning the pistons and greasing.

In case I need to get them replaced, any aftermarket or rebuilt options?

Thanks,

You can rebuild the calipers, no problem. Not sure if that will take care of the problem you have, though. There may be a problem in your proportioning valve - are both rear rotors rusty? If so, I find it hard to believe that both rear calipers would go out at the same time. I'd take a look at the entire braking system before paying for new calipers that you may not need.

sluggo

Only one side is total rusty. The other side is just as before, half shiny half rusty.

I will have the whole system checked as you advise.

Is Firestone a good place for this?

Thanks,

You can rebuild the calipers, no problem.  Not sure if that will take care of the problem you have, though.  There may be a problem in your proportioning valve - are both rear rotors rusty?  If so, I find it hard to believe that both rear calipers would go out at the same time.  I'd take a look at the entire braking system before paying for new calipers that you may not need.

sluggo

I just had my rear brakes checked at a local shop.

The pins were all rust and stuck so that it would not move back and forth.

The mechanic put a new pins and greased them.

However I had to get a new rotors... :angry:

I have a new question.

The rear brake pads cover the whole rotor area or just partial (outer) area?

I see the pads are shaped with some curves and I am wondering if the concave side should face the outer side of the rotor when assembled so that the whole rotor area can be touched by pads.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Although I haven't changed the rears on my vehicle just yet (but am planning to do so this weekend)...

The concave side of the pad should be aimed towards the center of the rotor. What you are trying to do...is to get as much contact area of the pad as possible. They should only fit on in one direction. Alternatively, just reverse the exact process in which you pop off your old brake pads...and you'll know which way the new pads should fit in.

Dom

DomLee, Let me know when you get your changed.

The previous pads were installed by a mechanic and somehow, I did not see which way the old ones were facing. Then I noticed that the rear rotor was only being worn on the outer rim, and I thought that was strange. Now, at an eye inspection, the concave side is facing the center of the rotor, leaving almost 1/3 of the rotor radius being out of contact with pads. The front ones by contrast, have the pads partially sticking out of the caliper housing in the middle so that most of the rotor surface is being in contact.

Should the rear pads touch pretty much the whole rotor area just like the front pads do?

Thanks,

Although I haven't changed the rears on my vehicle just yet (but am planning to do so this weekend)...

The concave side of the pad should be aimed towards the center of the rotor.  What you are trying to do...is to get as much contact area of the pad as possible.  They should only fit on in one direction.  Alternatively, just reverse the exact process in which you pop off your old brake pads...and you'll know which way the new pads should fit in. 

Dom

The pad should completely touch the rotor surface. It doesn't make sense to make an overly large sized pad...

You did mention that your brake caliper was rusted/stuck. ASSUMING that it was rebuilt properly, the piston should operate as it should. This should allow the piston to evenly distribute pressure on your brake pad...and ensure that the entire surface area of the brake pad comes in contact w/ the rotor.

This was also why your rotors were rusted. The brake pad was not coming in contact w/ your rotor...and subsequently not scrapping off the top layer.

See if this helps you, as the Supra NA brake system is similar to the SCs:

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/brake_...acement/rb1.jpg

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/brake_...acement/rb2.jpg

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/brake_...acement/rb3.jpg

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/brake_...acement/rb4.jpg

Also, be sure to look at how the parking brake is set up as well. All braking component info is here:

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/brake_...ment/index.html