Gx470 "2005" What Problems To Watch Out For?

4abal

It would have been better if you posted this question in the actual GX forum for feedback. Hopefully a moderator can move your question to that forum. In any case welcome to LOC and thank you for becoming a gold member B) .

• 2 weeks later...
2005- GX470 OWNERS

Please advise me on problems you have encountered with your  2005-GX470.

i doubt that majority of 05 GX owners might experience them, but my service tech told me of the "normal" defects of this vehicle.

1. vibration

2. clunk (says that 95% of GX470s have that, even till now)

those are the major ones to look out for.

2005- GX470 OWNERS

Please advise me on problems you have encountered with your 2005-GX470.

i doubt that majority of 05 GX owners might experience them, but my service tech told me of the "normal" defects of this vehicle.

1. vibration

Thanks

Thanks for the reply on the Problems to watch out for on the 2005 GX470.

The vehicle has been purchased- 100 miles on it, and nothing but satisfaction so far. I did extensive research before buying and did note previous problems with clunking & vibration in the earlier models of the GX470 but none reported for the 2005 model year. Hopefully this will be the case. The 1-thing noted about my vehicle before acceptance was air type NOISE around the drivers window & passenger window originating in the forward portion of the window at highway speeds. It is only noticable with all air circulation fans off, because with a fan on, you dont notice it. Not a big problem for me, but maybe a design issue that should be addressed in future models. A note to mention, I had the Nav screen bypassed

so front seat passenger can view DVD movies while driving, it took 30 min and cost 100.00 at a local sound store. A small price to pay for the added enjoyment gained. :cheers:

The 1-thing noted about my vehicle before acceptance was air type NOISE around the drivers window & passenger window originating in the forward portion of the window at highway speeds.

I just took mine on a 4,000 mile cross country trip to Phoenix and back, and did notice some wind rush noise. I think it originates with the outside mirrors. I didn't find it objectionable, and I'm not sure what could be done about it if I did. Not a problem in my book.

The 1-thing noted about my vehicle before acceptance was air type NOISE around the drivers window & passenger window originating in the forward portion of the window at highway speeds.

I just took mine on a 4,000 mile cross country trip to Phoenix and back, and did notice some wind rush noise. I think it originates with the outside mirrors. I didn't find it objectionable, and I'm not sure what could be done about it if I did. Not a problem in my book.

Thanks-wasn't sure if it was a problem ONLY with my vehicle!!! Not enough noise

to be a problem, I agree, but it was a noticable noise with the air circulation fans off, which I didn't expect to hear in a car such as a Lexus. :blink:

Are you talking about noise with the moonroof open?  If so, move your roof rack bars back, they make a lot of wind noise.  Either way, this should cut down on a lot of noise.

Not the Moon roof- The DRIVERS WINDOW & FRONT PASSENGER WINDOW. Air noise around the forward portion of the windows where the mirrors are located only at highway speeds and with all interior climate fans off, youll hear air leaking noise. The moon roof is A-OK.

Not the Moon roof- The DRIVERS WINDOW & FRONT PASSENGER WINDOW. Air noise around the forward portion of the windows where the mirrors are located only at highway speeds and with all interior climate fans off, youll hear air leaking noise. The moon roof is A-OK.

Ok, I have never heard an air LEAKING noise around my front windows, just the wind rush noise at highway speeds. I think the wind rush comes from the mirrors and is normal. An air leaking noise would NOT be normal at all.

Ok, I have never heard an air LEAKING noise around my front windows, just the wind rush noise at highway speeds. I think the wind rush comes from the mirrors and is normal. An air leaking noise would NOT be normal at all.

Thanks for the reply-Its not leaking air I heard, hard to describe!!! But was surprised to hear ANYTHING in this fine vehicle!!! Take care. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

:blushing: Hi there. Newbie here. I've owned my '05 gx since Dec. Not much wind noise, but have had to replace the p/s pump already. No fun with that. I also added a sunroof deflector which may have attributed to some wind noise problems you've referred to? Thanks for letting me butt in. :D

Thanks for the reply-Its not leaking air I heard, hard to describe!!! But was surprised to hear ANYTHING in this fine vehicle!!! Take care. :unsure:

post-6655-1118893460_thumb.jpg

Have had my March 2005 build GX for almost 2 months now and find it to be a nearly perfect vehicle with none of the problems I have read about. After owning many Toyotas over the years I expected the Lexus to be great and am not disappointed at all. Past couple of cars were Porsche, BMW and Maserati and had numerous problems with all them and all lacked the comfort and toys of my GX. So far am very happy with my choice

What did they have to do to get the DVD to work in the dash? I have heard that the process to get it to work is pretty involved and takes a lot of work. Have you experienced any adverse effects from what they did? The local shop I talked to wouldn't even do it.

did you look into these such problems b/f buying the gx?

wow, sorry for not getting back to your question right away. NO i didn't see these problems before buyin it. Problem was, everyone on these forums were talking about "Oh I'm getting mine before xmas, but no DVD but this color combo." " Oh i'm gettin mine on the 27 but this color combo...." and blah blah blah.

so no one ever talked about problems of this car. the only person who talked about something bad about the GX was this one guy who ordered his car from Florida, lives in California ( i think) and while the Gx was being transported on a truck, someone vandalized his GX and broke the whole rear window!

so no one ever had a point of comparison for the problems of the Gx. everyone of my time were guinea pigs, not knowing what to expect. but i did get $1k Lexus credit for any services or accesories because of the 3 recalls they had.

• 2 years later...
2005- GX470 OWNERS

Please advise me on problems you have encountered with your  2005-GX470.

1. vibration

Hi denslexusgx470,

I just bought a pre-own 2005 GX470 (64k miles) from a local Lexus dealer. What vibration are you refering to? I posted my problems at http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=38420

2005 GX470

Based on what you reported, yours sounds different from the vibration that some of us owners have experienced. The vibration we experienced came from the steering wheel, at about 65mph/2500-3000 rpm. The steering wheel vibrated but I dont recall my seat or door vibrating when coming to a stop. The only problem I ran into was the clunk, which felt like someone rear ended you once you come to a stop at a stop light.

Otherwise, just observe the performance of the vehicle, and report back. I'll try to help you as much as possible..

Last but not least, Congrats on the GX and you will definitely enjoy it!! :cheers: :cheers:

2005 GX470

Based on what you reported, yours sounds different from the vibration that some of us owners have experienced. The vibration we experienced came from the steering wheel, at about 65mph/2500-3000 rpm. The steering wheel vibrated but I dont recall my seat or door vibrating when coming to a stop. The only problem I ran into was the clunk, which felt like someone rear ended you once you come to a stop at a stop light.

Otherwise, just observe the performance of the vehicle, and report back. I'll try to help you as much as possible..

Last but not least, Congrats on the GX and you will definitely enjoy it!! :cheers::cheers:

I enjoy this car but except for the vibration when it comes to a stop or during initial take-off. The vibration is not much but it is noticeably enough to be unpleasant. I only got this car 2 days!

The vibration from the door and the seat were probably caused by the idle of the engine. Perhaps I need to use Shell’s premium V-Power gasoline.

Is it possible that the air in the brake and accelerator fluid causes the short period of vibration?

I think my best bet is to bring the car back to Lexus and have them check. The problem is that my car is not certified. I have to pay all cost. I spent $39,500 for this used car and I am not expecting to spend thousands of dollars to fix it within a week of purchase and it might not be fixed.

I went to Lexus and spent extra money to buy a car from them was because I wanted a reliable used car. Otherwise, I could buy it from a mom-and-pop shop or even from ebay.

Thank you for your feedback.

• 15 years later...

It was making a loud noise when the ac was on. When I got oil they said the compressor was going bad. A year later I have no air. And it acts like it wants to come on but Doesn’t. What do you think it could be? And if compressor there are so many. I’m lost. I’m scared I won’t have heat for the winter. So would I do air and heat compressor or just air. Sorry. I just don’t want to be taken advantage of so if I know a little I won’t look stupid. Lol. Thank you for your time