Changing The Tail Lights

ktiger

Can someone provide information on how to remove the carpet on the tailgate so I can get to the screws that will allow me to change a blown tail light? I have tried to remove it and ripped the backside of one corner. The manual says take it to the dealer but I don't want to pay them $120 to change out a stupid tail light.

Thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...
Can someone provide information on how to remove the carpet on the tailgate so I can get to the screws that will allow me to change a blown tail light?  I have tried to remove it and ripped the backside of one corner.  The manual says take it to the dealer but I don't want to pay them $120 to change out a stupid tail light.

Thanks for the help.

Just call the dealer and ask them. The service manager should be able to tell you. They were very helpful to me when I was installing my headrest video system.

I assume you talking about replacing the lights inside the tailgate, not on the outer rear quarter panels. After you lower the gate, use a flat head screwdriver wrapped in masking tape (to prevent scratches) and pry a little at a time so you can see where the clips are. After you pop the first clip with the screwdriver, use your fingers and the screwdriver to pop the rest. Just make sure that you pry as close as possible to each clip to prevent damaging the panel. It comes off very easily.