Over Size Tires

I have a 2005 GX470 with about 500 miles. Because I occasionly take the truck off road, I am considering a tire change. Bridgestone makes an excellent all terrain tire called the Revo. Off road, it is desireable to have a lot of contact area of the tire on the ground. The Revo comes in a 265/65X17 (standard on GX 470) and 265/70X17, but nothing wider which would give the same diameter as the standard 65's.

The 70 profile is about 1" greater in diameter than the standard size. If I buy and install the 70's will it mess up anything besides making the speedometer, mileage etc. slightly inaccurate? Can the computer be reset for the different size tires? Has anyone installed over sized tires? I asked the service department at my dealer, but he really wasn't sure what would happen.

Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...
You also have the button under the dash for different tires, and a recalibration function via the GPS screen.

WHERE! More details please.

I found it. If you have a navigation system, just click: MENU, SETUP, CALIBRATION, TIRES. And the computer will recalibrate itself for the new tire size.

It is scary that my dealer, Lexus customer service and a very large tire dealer all told me that new tire sizes would foul up the car computer and that recalibration was impossible.

Lexus trekker16,

I see you own a LS430 and the GX. I have a LS430 and think it is the best ride of all cars. My work vehicle has to have 4 wheel drive for some locations I go to, and for that I have a Tacoma pickup. In trying to find one vehicle to do both jobs I am considering a GX470. I am really interetsed in your opinion of how the GX feels out on the long freeway drive compared to the LS ... how quiet a ride, how smooth is the ride on freeways where you have a joint every 20 feet etc. Going 80 mph feel like 50 as it does in the LS?

Thanks Much for any help,

Terry

PS: I tried to send this in a PM but would not go through.

Lexus trekker16,

I see you own a LS430 and the GX. I have a LS430 and think it is the best ride of all cars. My work vehicle has to have 4 wheel drive for some locations I go to, and for that I have a Tacoma pickup. In trying to find one vehicle to do both jobs I am considering a GX470. I am really interetsed in your opinion of how the GX feels out on the long freeway drive compared to the LS ... how quiet a ride, how smooth is the ride on freeways where you have a joint every 20 feet etc. Going 80 mph feel like 50 as it does in the LS?

Terry

Just got the got a GX, but they had to prep it so they gave as an 02 LS430 as a loaner for the day. SO from the little I could compare, as the dealer is 40 miles form our home on a freeway with some bad spots, here is my opinion.

The LS has less wind noise, but the GX seems to have less road noise and more isolated from bad roadsurfaces. On sections of the freeway that were graded the roadnoise made itself very know in the LS while in the GX we hardly noticed it. The GX also seemed to ride a bit softer over uneven pavement. The LS felt more powerful and handled better (firmer suspension), while the GX wth the shicks on normal setting tend to have felt more floaty over uneven freeway sections. Oh and I peeked at the gas mileage indicator, the LS did more than 20MPG with a smaile on average, while the GX was more like 16-17. Ok the GX was brand new and power and gas mileage will improve, but expect a pretty good hit on gas mileage from what I saw. Ok this was only like a one day comparison, but on highway cruising comfort in the area I live I would take the GX due to the difference in road noise and ability to soak up bad pavement better. Here in the Bay Area we have lots of graded and uneven freeway, if you dont the LS might be a smoother option.

while the GX was more like 16-17.

16-17? Cool much better than the 8 city and 12 Highway I was getting in the two seat Maserati Spyder I traded in for my 2005 GX. And in the week I have driven my back feels much better

while the GX was more like 16-17.

16-17? Cool much better than the 8 city and 12 Highway I was getting in the two seat Maserati Spyder I traded in for my 2005 GX. And in the week I have driven my back feels much better

wow u wouldve never done that but thats me, any ways, yes the GX does feel extremely good, much like the sequia, u can change the smoothness depending on your needs. next to the heated seats button theres a little knob that can point either to sport and comfort. that is the suspension. mine is on comfort and it feels really smooth

• 3 weeks later...
Lexus trekker16,

Terry

W6RU

Sorry to take so long to respond. I haven't checked this subject recently, since my problem was solved. I will look at my info to see if something is wrong in order to let you contact me.

First of all, I love my GX470. It is a great combination of luxary and toughness. The ride is smooth and quiet, but not quiite as smooth and quiet as the LS 430. The LS has a bigger, heavier feeling. But the difference is very small. The GX has a quicker, more lively sprorty feeling. Of course, the GX has four suspension settings from Sport to Comfort. There is little more wind noise in the GX at 65+, but it is really small. You ought to give one a good test ride.

You mentioned tar strips. I found the tar strips more noticeable on the GX, a little annoying but not to an obtrusive level. Interestingly, when I put the slightly oversize tires of 265/70X17 on the GX, the ride comfort improved significantly. The tar strips now feel about the same as the LX, and the sensation of all bumps is much, much less. Apparently, the taller side wall absorbs bumps much better than the 265/65/s. Where I previously put the ride on Comfort, I now put it on Sport and it is still smoother than the original tires. Incidentally, my tires are Bridgestone A/T's, so I would guess that highway tires would be even smoother.

I took my GX out to the woods and pastures and mud and ditches this weekend. It performed like a champ and did not leave me stuck in the country. My LS may be a little smoother but it stays on the highway.

As an aside, I made six changes to the GX. They are all small changes, except one. But the overall change in the appearance makes it unique. The one significant change is that I had a body shop remove the crease on the front fender from the window to the the headlamp. In my opinon, it smoothed out the looks and removed the cluttered look of the front fenders. Lexus disigners will probably disagree.

I hope that this answers your questions.

trekker16

Bliksem and Lexus Trekker..

I thank you both for your comments on the GX versus the LS. My dealer let me take his demo GX for a extended ride .... about 2 hours driving. I took it off road a little and took it out on I5 for about 75 miles. There is a stretch just at the bottom of the Grapevine that has BAD bumps for abnout 10 miles .... that is where I really judge the ride. BTW, this demo GX has the Michelin Cross-Terrain tires on it and I know that helps the ride a bunch .... had gone to those tires on my old pickup and what a ride difference. My LS-430 has the 18 inch Michelin MVX4 tires that come on the RX330. They are oversize for the LS but offer the best ride in the 18 inch size. I found in my comparison as you two stated that the GX had slightly more wind noise at freeway speeds than the LS. The ride however was definately better in this GX that the LS on the bad freeway stretch, with the GX set in the "comfort" position. I think there is quite a difference in ride comfort from the Bridgestone AT and the Michelin Cross-Terrain tires too. I feel that Lexus in a effort to bring the LS line into a more sporty image over the last 5 years, going from 16 to 18 inch tires etc have compromised the ride. The GX feels slightly more top heavy and handles as such but that is too be expected.

My dealer has informed me that my GX will be in about the 15th and I am really looking forward to driving such a NICE work vehicle.

Terry