Trunk Release Not Working

blackjack1818

I have a 1992 ls400. I bought it at an auction. The key I have works for everything but the trunk. All of a sudden my trunk release button has stopped working. There is no power to the wire. I dont see an actual fuse labled "trunk" or anything. Is it possibly in conjunction with another fuse. Someone please help me out.

Wow. I didn't even know that there was a power option on the truck. Fancy-schmancy.

The scematics attached are for a 1991 LS400, but I don't think that there's any difference between the two. Let me know if you need any help reading them.

post-15234-1112977866_thumb.jpgpost-15234-1112977875_thumb.jpg

The inside trunk release quit working on my 93 LS several years ago. It turned out that the problem was a broken wire in the wiring harness which is attached to the left hinge of the trunk.

This seems to be a very common problem on the LS models from the early years. It has been discussed numerous times on this forum.

The only question is: if your key won't open the trunk, and the release won't open the trunk, how do you get inside to check the wiring? I don't have an answer for that, unfortunately.

• 2 years later...

"The Mystery of the Sudden Trunk Release Malfunction."

wow! you guys are great!

my trunk release stopped working this morning, after picking up the car from the mechanic (differnent issue)...and i was bummed.

but i scoured this website for answers and many of you pointed out the trunk lock mechanism in the glove compartment.

and....it worked!

i cant thank you enough for your expertise and experience in helping a fellow lexus owner solve "The Mystery of the Sudden Trunk Release Malfunction." I was so sure i'd need to call Scooby Doo and his Mystery Machine

or worse,

a certified lexus dealer....and his meddling kids.

i am starting life over again after a few mistakes and my 94 ES300 (274K, bought 40 days ago for $2900) is an encouraging milestone for me...so when anything goes wrong....it makes for a bad day.

i scoured this website for answers and i found them.

thanks again to all of you.

lexus rocks!

YOU rock!!!

-Pstan (the P is silent)