Rx300 Replacement Tires

Tad

Thanks to all who advised me and gave guidance for replacement tires on my 2000 Lexus RX300. I finally decided on the Michelin Cross Terrains and the SUV drives like a dream - soft and smooth - like riding on a cloud.

Thanks to all who advised me and gave guidance for replacement tires on my 2000 Lexus RX300. I finally decided on the Michelin Cross Terrains and the SUV drives like a dream - soft and smooth - like riding on a cloud.

Not a bad choice at all. Best of luck. B)

:cheers:

I got the set of 4 Michelin SUV Cross Terrains at Sears. Each tire was $130.82(523.28) which includes free rotation and balance for the life of the tires. Additionally, I paid $11.96 for set of rubber stemmed valves, $8.00 local tire disposal, $4.00 - state environmental fee, $59.96 for first time balance, $59.99 for the allignment, so the grand total was $665.19 plus 6% sales tax. These tires and service extras were very expensive, but I think well worth the superior ride, Michelin quality, safety, peace of mind, and Sears' reliability.

Glad you're happy, but you really overpaid for what you received in my opinion. There are better tires for far better prices out there, particularly at tirerack.com.

Glad you're happy, but you really overpaid for what you received in my opinion.  There are better tires for far better prices out there, particularly at tirerack.com.

I have to agree as well. The Michelins are a good choice however, I think I would have leaned towards the Yokohama Geolander G-051's or the Toyo Open Country's for mess money & no sacrifice in safety.

Having said that.....Tad you did get a good tire & they should serve you well. B)

• 3 weeks later...
Glad you're happy, but you really overpaid for what you received in my opinion.  There are better tires for far better prices out there, particularly at tirerack.com.

I agree on the pricing issue, but the problem I have found looking through tirerack.com is that although they show a ton of different tires, almost all of them only come in white letter or white outline letter in the size for the RX300. Last time I bought the Goodyear Integrity's, even though they had bad ratings because that was just about all I could find. My RX came with Michelin LTX M/S but I had to take them off after 15K because the howling was driving me crazy. Now I am in need of new tires (50K) and the situation is about the same - the tires with good reviews have white letters and the ones with bad reviews have blackwalls. I don't think an RX300 would look right with white letter tires.

I am open to suggestion.

Might anyone here have any thoughts regarding the use of snow tires on the 400?

18" wheels are not only extremely limiting toward a choice of tires, but generally a bit more rubber and less wheel is considered better for winter driving, as are narrower tires.

I'm wondering how one might select the "proper" 16 - 17" wheel to stay within Lexus' guidelines?

I'm unaware of a rating system for wheels as per measured torque, although one may well exist.

Good choice for those who got Michelin Cross Terrains as their replacement tires. I remember back in 02, it was time for me to change my tires also. So i went to Costco and checked out their tires. I don't remember the price, but I remember that at around July of 02, the Cross Terrains were somewhat a "new model" of tires so Costco could barely get them in. I ended up getting them from America's Tire Co. which costed a lot less than Costco.

Glad to hear that it's now easy to get this tire. I'm also happy that the Gx i got had Cross Terrains on them originally!!! :D

Turn the letters to the inside.

Jeff

Certainly an idea to consider, however, you can see the white letters when viewing the car from the front, especailly if the wheels are turned. I guess it would just have to be something to get used to.

If the white letters still bother you when the tires are mounted with their blackwall side out, just crayon or charcoal the white letters black before you have the tires mounted. They are going to eventually get covered by brake dust and road grime anyway.

I've been turning white-letter tires around for years and it's just not an issue.

If the white letters still bother you when the tires are mounted with their blackwall side out, just crayon or charcoal the white letters black before you have the tires mounted.  They are going to eventually get covered by brake dust and road grime anyway.

I've been turning white-letter tires around for years and it's just not an issue.

I agree! B)

If the white letters still bother you when the tires are mounted with their blackwall side out, just crayon or charcoal the white letters black before you have the tires mounted.  They are going to eventually get covered by brake dust and road grime anyway.

Thanks. I'll take your advice.

My CPO RX300 came with Big-O tires, which have to be the most "off" brand there is, considering I'd never heard of them before. And they are mounted with the white-lettering on the inside.

My CPO RX300 came with Big-O tires, which have to be the most "off" brand there is, considering I'd never heard of them before.  And they are mounted with the white-lettering on the inside.

So what brand are they? "Big-O"? :unsure::blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I took your advice and bought some Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's. They are new and have a high rating from Tire Rack. I had hoped that there was some commercial product that could be used to black out the raised white letters so they won't show from the back of the car when mounted on the inside, but I was not able to find anything. Beyond what was suggested above (crayon / charcoal) could I use a black permanent marker or something else that would black out the letters better?

Use whatever black-out product you like. However, you'll get the best long-term results from a greasy or sticky substance (like a black grease pencil) that will attract and retain road grime and brake dust. Eventually the backs of your tires will all blend in to the typical brake dust charcoal color anyway.

Rest assured, no one else is going to notice or even care that you have white letters on the insides of your tires. No need to obsess over it....

Use whatever black-out product you like.  However, you'll get the best long-term results from a greasy or sticky substance (like a black grease pencil) that will attract and retain road grime and brake dust.  Eventually the backs of your tires will all blend in to the typical brake dust charcoal color anyway.

Rest assured, no one else is going to notice or even care that you have white letters on the insides of your tires.  No need to obsess over it....

Agreed. B)

• 2 weeks later...
How much did you end up paying for them, out the door?

I know I'll need a set soon.

TIA

Yes. A heartfelt for that advice. ot has made a huge difference in the ride. I paid about $750 for four in the Atlanta area. You can get matching prices at Costco, though.