Car Will Not Start!

gazhalim

I need some help. My 91 LS 400 was not starting after work yesterday so I had a friend of mine jump it for me. I drove it back home, an hour's drive, and turned it off. This morning, it started with no issues and I drove it back downtown, an hour's drive and parked it in the parking lot at work. On my lunch break, four hours later, I went to move my car but it would not start. What could this be? Is that parking lot haunted or am I missing something. The headlights were off this morning, so I don't think that could be it. Maybe the floor lights or something stayed on? I don't think that it would be my alternator, because the car shouldn't jump, correct? Could it be a bad battery? My friend, who I bought the car from, just put a brand new battery in a couple of weeks ago. Any thougts... I'm going to take it to the shop tomorrow for a test, which will cost me $60, but I just wanted to check with u guys...

Thanks in advance for your time,

Gaz Halim

Great!! Make sure the connectors to the terminals are "tight". This happened to me and they did a check and all appeared okay. Then when I got home I checked them on a whim and the negative was loose. Enough to run radio, lights etc. But when the starter needed amps not enough contact. Good Luck!!

It could also be the starter going bad. Sometimes before a starter goes out completly it will only turn when you give it the extra power of a jump start.

When your car will not start will the radio and head lights come on?

That was it, WHEW, WHAT A RELIEF!!! :cheers:

Here I was thinking of getting a new alternator and what not, when I noticed that the underside of my battery connector was rusty. I gave the guys at the shop $20 and he put a new one on. No more issues!!! thanks for all the help guys.

My clock is set just by pushing the hour and minute button. I have checked the radio, radio 2, and panel fuses, and they are all fine. I'm figuring that since it is being reset to 1, the constant power might not be getting to it? When you guys turn off your cars, does the clock stay lit, or does it go away after a while? Mine fades away after a couple of seconds. Also, I forgot to mention that I had Mikado Technologies fix my LCD screen...

Sounds like between Mikado and connecting and disconnecting your battery you have a failed clock circuitry. Could be as simple as a connector to the board or other. I would try pulling the lcd panel out and checking the connectors and try again. Sorry, not much help I Know, but worth a try.

• 1 month later...

I swapped out almost all of my fuses, and my clock is working fine!!! I think that the climate control does not get constant power if there is an issue with a fuse. To test this, I pulled out my dome fuse, and turned the car off. The clock would fade away, and after I truned the car on, the clock would reset to 1:00. I then put the fuse back in and the clock stayed on when I turned the car off. Please let me know if my thinking is right on this...

Wow. I didn't know my 91 even had a clock! ;) Is it supposed to display on that blacked-out LCD screen in the center console?

Sorry for interrupting, i couldn't resist. :chairshot: many of us still haven't fixed the climate display. I've never seen what's on the display - been burned out ever since i got the car. :blushing: