60k Service On 95 Ls?

flash213

Im considering doing the service my self. To be honest Ive changed the oil on my cars in the past from time to time but never been that mechanically inclined. I remember reading somewhere on this forum that the 60k service was mostly changing fluids. Is that right? Are there parts that I will need if its more than fluids that I can go ahead and order.Bear with me I am a novice.

Its becoming routine for me to post a big thanks at the end of every post. This site has already saved me so much frustration and money.SO THANKS!

If you asked the dealer, they will tell you it is a service that will run you about 900-1500 bucks as they change the timing belt and other stuff, but you don't need to do that yet, wait until 90K.

Yes, just a few fluids, and maybe flush the brake and power steering as well.

Is it complete overkill to do the timing belt and water pump now? My thought is that the car is ten years old and it seems it would be best to change all weathered rubber out now instead of three years from now for 90k.

Yes it's overkill. Couple examples: My '89 Corolla with 239,000 miles still has the factory original water pump. So does my '91 LS400 with 104,000 miles. The LS still has the original timing belt as well and the belt is still in excellent condition as the former owner was a gentle driver.

The serpentine accessory drive belt is more sensitive to aging effects so it should be changed at 10 years / 60,000 miles. This belt is inexpensive and amazingly easy for the do-it-yourselfer to change (see www.lexls.com for a tutorial)

What kills Toyota / Lexus engines is owner failure to change the antifreeze and use only a 50/50 mix of Toyota Long Life Coolant and distilled water (the factory original coolant mixture). So at 60K I would make sure you get a new batch of the 50/50 mix installed along with a new cooling system thermostat and thermostat gasket - genuine Toyota of course. Toyota cooling system hoses and hose clamps last practically forever so no need to change them