Brake Fluid

the reason i was gonna pick up brake fluids was after reading this forum: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=18311&hl=

I'm experiencing same problem as the dude that posted that.. Whenever i step on brakes going 10-15 miles, brake light goes on on the dash board and when I'm at a red light, it seems like its blinking real slow.

I thought i probably was running low on brake fluids as well, since i haven't put in any ever since i bought the car.. :chairshot:

I just checked my brake fluid reservior and its at the max line.

Anyone have any other ideas why my brake light on dash is blinking?

Genuine Toyota Brake Fluid is the factory fill fluid. Change it roughly every 2-4 years it if you want 30+ years and 500,000+ miles of troublefree service from all the expensive hydraulic components in your brake system. Toyota dealers sell it in 1 pint bottles for $3 -$4 a pint.

This device is a nifty way to change the brake fluid http://www.saber.net/~monarch/motive.jpg and also allows you to do an outstanding job of purging all the air out of the brake lines.

I'm gonna go pick up some brake fluids later today. Are there any specific brand/type i should pick up or any is fine??

I use Valvoline synpower (dot 3 & 4 rated) personally.....has a very high boiling point & not too expensive. B)

:cheers:

is there another way to flush out the fluids without buying that pumping looking thing? Spending $50 just to use it every 2-3 years seems a little too much...

$50 every several years is a small price to pay considering how important brakes are. B)

:cheers:

a professional shop will attach a hose to each brake bleeder and attach a jug that hold a gallon of fluid to the brake reservoir and then just flush away.

you could go the cheap route and evacuate the reservoir with a turkey baster (available in the kitchen item isle at your local supermarket), fill the reservoir with new and then just bleed the heck out of the brakes being sure to fill the reservoir back up again with new fluid. Basically you are just running new stuff through the reservoir, master cylinder, accuator module, lines, and calipers. It takes a long time but can be done this way.

Just remember, the worst thing to have in the brake system is air bubbles.

steviej

PS, don't return the turkey baster to the kitchen drawer when you are done. It will leave a bitter taste in the gravy.

PS, don't return the turkey baster to the kitchen drawer when you are done.  It will leave a bitter taste in the gravy.

That's great advise, haha.

Changing your brake fluid every 2-4 years or 30k is a good idea to keep your braking system is good shape. If your brake fluid doesn't have a caramel like color anymore (looks sort of blackish) it's time for a brake fluid flush and fill. As for the brake light coming on, is it exactly the max line? The brake sensor is rather sensitive, so adding some fluid may just solve the problem. I just use the Toyota DOT 3 brake fluid.

It was exactly at the Max line but i put in some anyways and its completely full now(is this a bad thing?), but brake light still goes on and i think its time to change the fluid.. Its very dark... I'm gonna try steviej's advise (the turkey baster ) and make sure not to leave it in the kitchen!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
It was exactly at the Max line but i put in some anyways and its completely full now(is this a bad thing?), but brake light still goes on and i think its time to change the fluid.. Its very dark... I'm gonna try steviej's advise (the  turkey baster ) and make sure not to leave it in the kitchen!!  :D

I had the same problem, time for new brakes ;)

It was exactly at the Max line but i put in some anyways and its completely full now(is this a bad thing?), but brake light still goes on and i think its time to change the fluid.. Its very dark... I'm gonna try steviej's advise (the  turkey baster ) and make sure not to leave it in the kitchen!!  :D

I had the same problem, time for new brakes ;)

I use dot 4 in all and use a plastic syringe to get fluid out. I do this in the fall & spring on the bike; so the car gets done too.

you can bleed them with nothing more then a wrench and peace of tubing and a 1 liter soda bottle and some help from an extra person. this take more work but u do not have to buy anything else.

start with the tire farthest from the master cylinder put the tube on the bleeder and extended it into the bottle. have some one pump up the brakes till the petal is real stiff and have them hold it. they you crack the bleeder and have them yell when the petal is almost to the floor. when they yell you close the bleeder. then the person pumps up again and when they hold you crack the bleeder and keep repeating the process until the fluid comes out clear. then move to the other rear tire. when these are done move to the passenger front tire then the drivers tire. also make sure you keep toping off the master cylinder so you do no suck air into the system.

good luck