Suspension Issues

Summer

My 1997 LX 450 sways from side to side while driving. I have replaced my shocks but it still happens. I have recently found out that this is a characteristic of this model. Is there anyway of changing the suspension to elimate this annoying problem?

2nd Question: Is there a way to install the factory diff. locks and would it be best to have the dealer do it?

My 1997 LX 450 sways from side to side while driving.  I have replaced my shocks but it still happens.  I have recently found out that this is a characteristic of this model.  Is there anyway of changing the suspension to elimate this annoying problem?

2nd Question:  Is there a way to install the factory diff. locks and would it be best to have the dealer do it?

I have heard folks complain about the ride stability before and typically that can be helped with replacing the cooshy factory shocks with something stiffer. Personally, I never felt that it was an unstable ride, but then again, I replaced my shocks a couple of weeks after buying the vehicle to make it a little stiffer. What shocks did you use?

Adding OEM E-lockers to an unlocked rig I think would get pricey if you had the dealer do it. The existing axle/diff housing can be adapted/modified to accomodate locking diffs (which I thing run about $800 to $1000 each new), then you have to add the locker ECU, wiring harness (which unless you build yourself, is mucho dollars new), replace right rear axle shaft, and install the rotary switch.

Obviously much cheaper if you buy them locked. If getting one with lockers is a big deal for you, you might want to consider saling yours and buying one with. If you can find them, typically the price difference is not substantial, because most folks don't even know what they're for.

:cheers:

Rookie

My 1997 LX 450 sways from side to side while driving.  I have replaced my shocks but it still happens.  I have recently found out that this is a characteristic of this model.  Is there anyway of changing the suspension to elimate this annoying problem?

2nd Question:  Is there a way to install the factory diff. locks and would it be best to have the dealer do it?

I have heard folks complain about the ride stability before and typically that can be helped with replacing the cooshy factory shocks with something stiffer. Personally, I never felt that it was an unstable ride, but then again, I replaced my shocks a couple of weeks after buying the vehicle to make it a little stiffer. What shocks did you use?

Adding OEM E-lockers to an unlocked rig I think would get pricey if you had the dealer do it. The existing axle/diff housing can be adapted/modified to accomodate locking diffs (which I thing run about $800 to $1000 each new), then you have to add the locker ECU, wiring harness (which unless you build yourself, is mucho dollars new), replace right rear axle shaft, and install the rotary switch.

Obviously much cheaper if you buy them locked. If getting one with lockers is a big deal for you, you might want to consider saling yours and buying one with. If you can find them, typically the price difference is not substantial, because most folks don't even know what they're for.

Rookie

I used Gabriel shocks that go to my specific truck. I have a friend who said I could change the linkage out on my sway bar to something stiffer, but he was not sure that would do the trick. He said since I already replaced the shocks the sway bar was a place to start. Or I have heard replace the springs.

I wouldn't mess with the swabars or linkage.

Upgrade your suspension with Old Man Emu or get shocks rated for a 1995-1997 Land Cruiser. It could be the Gabriels you picked up are as soft as the factory LX 450 shocks.

Rather than trying to retrofit OEM lockers -- as Rookie said, it's very expensive -- take a look at ARB air lockers. Many of my friends without factory lockers have installed ARBs and have been very satisifed with their performance.

I wouldn't mess with the swabars or linkage.

Upgrade your suspension with Old Man Emu or get shocks rated for a 1995-1997 Land Cruiser.  It could be the Gabriels you picked up are as soft as the factory LX 450 shocks.

Rather than trying to retrofit OEM lockers -- as Rookie said, it's very expensive -- take a look at ARB air lockers.  Many of my friends without factory lockers have installed ARBs and have been very satisifed with their performance.

That is what I was wondering but a mechanic told me when an after market shock company makes shocks they can also fit other vehicles of the same weight and application. Knowing this, I am not sure it is the shocks because any other vehicle you put them on should have the same problem. It could be the springs. If so I wonder if the after market spring would be equal to the Landcruiser spring.

Do you know what it cost your friends to purchase and install the ARB air lockers?

My LX450 did the same thing. Lexus has a softer ride than the Land Cruiser. I also swapped my suspension for an Ole Man Eu suspension. One without a lift would solve your problem. Even my wife noticed the difference. I got one with a 2.5" lift. I wheel mine on light trails and at Moab. I have an FJ40 for trails were I am concerned about damage

post-15107-1113019275_thumb.jpg

My LX450 did the same thing.  Lexus has a softer ride than the Land Cruiser.  I also swapped my suspension for an Ole Man Eu suspension.  One without a lift would solve your problem.  Even my wife noticed the difference.  I got one with a 2.5" lift.  I wheel mine on light trails and at Moab.  I have an FJ40 for trails were I am concerned about damage

What is the lagest size tire you can fit under the truck after you put the 2.5" lift on it.

Who did you buy the lift from and did you install it yourself? Did you shop around or did someone recommend the best place to get the new suspension?

You can get 315/75 R16 on the 450 with a 2.5" OME lift. Most recommend against 315s since they'll likely rub under full articulation. Most go with 285/75 R16.

www.sleeoffroad.com is a great place to get aftermarket suspension products for your 450. It's where I got most of my stuff from.

I have heard its the tires that make it move side to side.

The stock tires are real squishy, try some bridgestone revos

everyone one on the landcruiser site uses them, and they says it will

stop that sway feeling.

everyone one on the landcruiser site uses them, and  they says it will

stop that sway feeling.

Dang. I'd better get rid of my MT/Rs and pick up the Revos. How'd I miss that?

Which landcruiser site would this be where everyone is using Bridgestones?

everyone one on the landcruiser site uses them, and  they says it will

stop that sway feeling.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THE TIRES WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE. I THOUGHT (ACCORDING TO WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME ON THIS SITE) THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LX 450 AND THE LANCRUISER WAS THE SHOCKS. IF THIS IS CORRECT THE TIRES SHOULD HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROBLEM. I HAVE OWNED A LANDCRUISER WITH NO SPECIAL KIND OF TIRE AND HAD NO SWAYING PROBLEM.

I agree. I don't think tires will affect swaying. The only tire-related aspect which might contribute would be how well they're inflated. That said, if the tires are at the correct, recommended pressure, it shouldn't be a factor at all.

Wasen't trying to grt flamed, and I didn't mean only Revo's

I meant that the stock tires are not an LT rating and have a very

soft sidewall.

for your info Dougjohn2 the site is IH8MUD.com 80's section.

I hope that clears up what I said.

I wasn't necessarily flaming. It just seemed like you posted a blanket statement without much backing it up.

I'm on that board quite a bit and know of the thread(s) you're referencing. It was the "everyone on the landcruiser site uses them" that caught my eye since I know that everyone doesn't use them :)

They are somewhat popular with a subset of the group there.

I have a set of Michelin LTXs on my wife's 450 -- they're LT rated. The set of Dunlops I have in my garage are LT rated too. As far as I know, the 450s came with Michelin LTXs or Dunlops.

I haven't run the Dunlops, so I can't speak to the sidewalls on them, but the Michelins I had were quite stiff, IMO.

That said, I really don't think the tires factored much into the swaying equation -- I'd bet it's due to the soft LX 450 shock rating. Since I switched my suspension, I've had not swaying or "floating" sensation while driving.

I see it was you doug, interesting post sounds like BFG's are the most popular.

With revos,mtr's and nitto's right up there.

Your right the shocks would probably make the most difference.

Im due soon for new tires, Im thinking BFG A/T's or the revos in a 285/75/16.

I took a snapshot this morning...there are more replies now, but here's what it was as of 8:00AM PDT:

17 BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO (BFG AT KO)

2 BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain KM (BFG MT KM)

5 Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo

1 Dunlop Grandtrek

1 Firestone Destination M/T

1 Goodyear Wrangler MT

11 GoodYear Wrangler MT/R

8 Interco Swamper/SuperSwamper/etc.

1 Les Schwab Wild Country Radial TXR

1 Michelin Arctic Alpin

6 Michelin LTX

1 Michelin XZL

3 Nitto Terra Grappler

1 Pirelli Scorpion Hi-Performance Asimmetrico

2 ProComp X-Terrain

2 Yokohama Geo MT

1 Yokohama Geolander AT-II +

1 Yokohama IT ice radial

:D

The BFG ATs are good. I used to run them and was very pleased. The Bridgestones, I'm told are good too, but you already know of the reputation of the Revos.

I really didn't mean for it to come across as a flame.

Cheers.

The Dunlop's Grandtrek's are up to 3 now :D.

All with the same comment... "cheap PO/dealer B__tards" :( .

Nice poll though DJ. I am a little suprised at the ratio of AT/KO to AT Revos. I think that's the two I've narrowed it down to.

Rookie

• 2 months later...

Dougjohn, I just notice that my LTX's say p275/70/16

that p is for passenger right? I don't understand why they would make a tire that size in a p.

Anyway I need new tires and I just noticed that on my tires, so I thought I would see what you thought. Im going to put LT285/75/16's

on now. Should be better.

They typically put P (passenger) tires on most SUVs these days. The LT tire will be fine. If you were staying with the same tire size, you would need to increase tire pressure a bit to have the same ride and load capacity.

Going up to 285s this rule doesn't necessarily apply. When I first bought my 285s, I adjusted the tire pressure until I found what felt good to me. For my Goodyear MTRs it was around 38 - 40 PSI. Too much lower than 38 and fuel economy suffered. Too high meant the ride was too rough.