Will 275/35/20 In The Rear Of 00 Gs3 Cause Prob.

I was wanting to buy a used set of 20s with the back tires being 275/35/20, but what is recommended is 275/30/20. Will this cause rubbing or throw my traction control, abs, or speedometer off even worse. Please give feedback. Thank you.

I have no problems with that size tire on my 93GS. <_< Most speedos err on the high side, after putting 20's on mine it was exactly correct, verified by GPS. Mine only rubs a tiny bit in the fender lining if I turn the steering wheel all the way.

My issue with the size is that the wheels are about 2" bigger than the OEM diameter. The first problem is that the car will look a bit tall. The way around that is to lower it a little but then you will more than likely rub the top of the wheel wells in some road conditions.

Running the "recommended" 275/30 is already 1" bigger than OEM.

Im going to be putting 19s on my rear and I want to go as wide as poss.It sounds like 275 is it.I have the l tuned suspension will this be a prob.?

275s are relatively safe. You can actually go wider but it all depends on your rim spec, including if 275 is OK. Offset and width would be useful info to determine fitment.

They will have a 38mm offset and be 19x9.The reason Im wanting to go so wide is Im going to be installing a 2800 convertor and a 3;76 ring and pinion so im sure Ill need all the trac I can get.Thanks for any help.

275s on a 19x9 +38 will fit fine. I have 275s on 20x10 +38 and I had to shave a bit off the fender. You will be a little more than 1cm inset from my spec and that should clear the fender just fine.

On a 30 or 35 sidewall?

With 19s, you will be fine with either 35 or 30. I assume you will be running the 40 series in the front if you want 35 in the rear? There may be some rubbing in the front as the 40f/35r sidewall combo are 1" over spec. This rubbing is what many owners with 20s have to live with. It comes when you are doing full lock turns, reverses, and wheel well liner rubs on dips.

I should be fine in the front Im going staggered 18s in front and 19s in the rear.

Why staggerred rim sizes? It will either looks funny (IMO) with different sidewall sizes or it will have 2 different wheel diameters. In theory this is bad since the rotational rate will be different front and rear, and can potentially throw off the computer. I say in theory because there are very few who have done this to have any data on the issue.

The rims Im looking at have a pretty deep lip they kind of look like m5 wheels and alot of beamers are staggered and look pretty tough.Im not sure if Ill do it for sure.As for rotation Im going to need as mech trac. as poss. so rotating is already out of the question.Will I be able to get a wider tire on an 18x9 than an 19x9 if so I prob. wont go staggered due to my need for trac.

The rims Im looking at have a pretty deep lip they kind of look like m5 wheels and alot of beamers are staggered and look pretty tough.Im not sure if Ill do it for sure.As for rotation Im going to need as mech trac. as poss. so rotating is already out of the question.Will I be able to get a wider tire on an 18x9 than an 19x9 if so I prob. wont go staggered due to my need for trac.

Wait. Which BMWs are running staggered rim sizes?

As for your goal, you want as much traction as possible so you want the widest tire? Is this right? Also, if you are running staggered rim sizes, are you planning to have different diameter wheels front and back or same diameter but more sidewall in front vs rear?

I'm just making sure we are on the same page. :)

I was thinking about going with 18x8 in the front and 19x9 in the rear but if I can get a wider tire on the 18s Ill keep them all the way around.I think the staggered would look tough but Id rather have trac.

Most cars have staggered width setups and not staggered rim sizes. Some like the Corvettes do but the car was calibrated to have different size rims.

What other manufacturers (like BMW) have staggered widths. If you know of a BMW that does otherwise, let me know. ;)

Depending on the offset, you can easily run the 18x8 with 245/40/18 tires up front and 265/35/18 or 275/35/18 in the rear. You can even push for 285/35/18 in the rear.

Better yet run 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 or 18x10 with the 245/275 tires.

Does anyone know how wide of a wheel can fit on the GS? I have a 2000 GS300 that I'll be turboing here in the next couple of months and so I went with 18 x 8.5 in the front and 18 x 9.5 in the rear wearing 245/40R18 and 275/35R18 rubber, respectively. I've been thinking about getting an extra pair of rims for some BFGoodrich gForce T/A Drag Radials that I can swap on when I head to the strip and would like to go as wide as possible (unless of course someone knows that there is such a thing as too much traction and I should worry about breaking something in the drivetrain).

Would just like to hear from someone that can confirm something like an 18 x 11 would fit for sure so that I could use 315/30R18 drag tires and keep the stock overall diameter. Anything that wide in a 15" rim pushes the overall tire diameter more than 4" over stock and I'm sure they'd have a hard time fitting (more than likely not even close) which is why I'd stick with an 18" even though I haven't looked for any rims this size yet.

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback!

Does anyone know how wide of a wheel can fit on the GS?  I have a 2000 GS300 that I'll be turboing here in the next couple of months and so I went with 18 x 8.5 in the front and 18 x 9.5 in the rear wearing 245/40R18 and 275/35R18 rubber, respectively.  I've been thinking about getting an extra pair of rims for some BFGoodrich gForce T/A Drag Radials that I can swap on when I head to the strip and would like to go as wide as possible (unless of course someone knows that there is such a thing as too much traction and I should worry about breaking something in the drivetrain).

Would just like to hear from someone that can confirm something like an 18 x 11 would fit for sure so that I could use 315/30R18 drag tires and keep the stock overall diameter.  Anything that wide in a 15" rim pushes the overall tire diameter more than 4" over stock and I'm sure they'd have a hard time fitting (more than likely not even close) which is why I'd stick with an 18" even though I haven't looked for any rims this size yet.

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback!

Tire size availability aside, I have not seen someone try a 315. I know a few who runs 295 and one that will be putting on 305 on 20x11. You will have to have just the right offset to make this work. I believe with the 20x11, he is running +47 with fender shaving and pretty much maxed out on the inner lip.

Thanks for the quick reply! The 295/35R18 appear to be only a half inch taller than the stock tires which shouldn't be a problem, and the 295 only require a 10" wide wheel. Do you remember if the people you knew running this width had to do anything to fit them? I'd rather not make any modifications to the wheel well so I'd just run 275 if that is the case. Would just like to fit the biggest tires I can stock. :)

Thanks again!

The only issue would be how aggressive you want the look to be. If you get a more conservative offset, you will probably be able to get away without fender mods. For the rear, there should be no wheel well mods like the fronts but the fender tab is usually rolled or trimmed. BUT, again, the modification is only needed if you are trying for the more aggressive look withthe wheels flushed with the fenders.

Obviously, with 295s, you will have to get the offset just right to not to clear both the outside and inside. 295 is also on the slightlyhigh side for 10" width rims. They are usually happier with 275s and 285s. The guys I know who run 295s are on 10.5" widths.

I have 10" running 275s. With my offset though (+38), I needed to trim my fender tab. If I had +43, I probably would not need to.

You can probably get way with 285s on x10 rims without fender modding if your offset is in the +47 area. This is my best guess at it. Just make sure the rim manufacturer and dealer is well experienced with this car and what you are trying to achieve.

Just remember... The wider the tire, the more the ride quality changes. Wider tires pull to road contour more aggressively. I was not happy with anything over 255 on my GS 400.

Remember, you have a Lexus. Do you really want it to ride like a slammed Honda Civic? :blink:

-elc.

Just remember...  The wider the tire, the more the ride quality changes.  Wider tires pull to road contour more aggressively.  I was not happy with anything over 255 on my GS 400.

Remember, you have a Lexus.  Do you really want it to ride like a slammed Honda Civic?  :blink:

-elc.

Very true, I didn't even think of the effect the wider rear tire would have on ride quality. I already have 245/40R18s all around and the ride is still comfortable, so hopefully 275s in the rear won't change much. I'm getting a custom stage 4 turbo setup from SRT this summer and figured I could use all the extra traction in the rear that I can get! B) I'll be sure to let you guys know how everything turns out after I get the new wheels/tires and then eventually how the turbo works out (photos, dyno charts, etc.)!

Remember, you have a Lexus.  Do you really want it to ride like a slammed Honda Civic?  :blink:

-elc.

I guess it depends on expectations. I think it still rides great, obviously not stock, but I prefer what I have now to stock. I can sacrifice some ride quality for better looks and handling. Although I agree more tread does affect the behavior, I think the fact that I have 20s and less/stiffer sidewalls is a bigger culprit.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for everyone...just want to be absolutely sure about my tie size

drop is 1.2/1.4

rims are hp evo dark 19 8.5/9.5

I want to buy 245/40 and 275/35

Will this work? without any shaving or rolling of fenders

Question for everyone...just want to be absolutely sure about my tie size

drop is 1.2/1.4

rims are hp evo dark 19 8.5/9.5

I want to buy 245/40 and 275/35

Will this work?  without any shaving or rolling of fenders

You should do either 235/35 or 245/35 in the front and 275/30 in the rear if you'd like to keep the overall tire diameter as close as possible to stock (keeps your speedometer accurate and your ABS working perfectly). If you do the 245/35 in the front and the 275/30 in the rear then the front tires will be ever so slightly larger than your rear by something like .2", or vice versa if you go with the 235/35 fronts.

245/40 and 275/35 is perfect for 18" rims, but you're adding another inch overall with 19" rims so the sidewalls have to become smaller to compensate. That'd be what I would do though, try to keep it as close as possible to stock size.