How Does This Deal Sound...

Ribbler

Hi all, I've been very impressed with this site. If all goes well I may become a fellow Lexus owner within a week or so. I'm currently looking at a 1994 LS400. Details:

Miles: 115K

all the regular stuff and:

Nakamichi Sound System

Heated front seats

Memory Driver's seat

Traction control

Asking price $8,500

I asked the owner about the items that a few others pointed out to me in another thread. Here was the response concerning the vehicle:

The following repairs were done:

Dec 2004 Smog check

Oct 2004 Wheel alignment

May 2004 Tire rotation

March 2003 90K service

Timing belt

Water pump and seals

Radiator hoses (upper and lower)

Thermostat

Brake fluid flush

Brake inspection

May 2002 Battery

Sept 2001 Upper control arms

Rear carrier bushings

Heater control valve

Brake pads

July 2000 Antenna repair

What else should I consider before I test drive? Is the ECU a problem with the 1994 model? Should the rotars have been changed? Anything else that I should consider?

After seeing the tutorial on replacing the water pump I'm not disappointed to see that that has been replace!! Thanks in advance.

Everything looks good from maintance stand point. All the areas that need to be addressed looked like they were. I'm sure the brakes where replaced at one time on the car and they probally did the rotors at that time.

ECU is hit or miss and if everything is working fine your not going to know if it will ever be a problem.

On paper the car looks good.

what about the rest of the control arm bushings? I only saw the rear carrier bushings mentioned. I think $8,500 is a bit high myself. I would say $7,000 - $7,500 personally. Especially if the rest of the bushings need to be replaced.

Oops, now I see the uppers were done. But what about the lowers, and the rear?

Also make sure your climate control and dash light all work without problems. These cars are known for the temp control LCD going black and the dash needle and or background lights giving problems. If the car is excellent, it would bring $8500 in my area.

$8,500 seems very high-around here atleast. KBB lists a private party value of under $7k. I probably wouldn't go over $7k, but I could imagine it'd be hard to get the seller to come down 20%. The ECU should be fine(I think it's mainly a 95/6 issue), and brake rotors only need to be changed as needed-feeling a pulse when braking is usually a sign. Have you driven the car yet? A through test drive should do all of the talking for the car's condition and what repairs will be needed. ;) Basically, if you can feel/hear anything other than the Nak during the drive, something is not right! B)

Consider the following repairs: valve cover gaskets, cam/crank seals, blackened climate lcd, dead speedo/tach needles, torn lower control arm bushings, torn strut rod bushings, likely power steering leaks, rack and pinion possibly.

Considering that the timing belt has been done that price isn't too bad. Around here that would be a $7500 - $8000 car, but every market is different.

Just make sure you have proof of the timing belt job (receipt, phone call to dealer, etc.) Otherwise it's a $7000 car.

This is the NADA values, specific to your geographic location and mileage.

Trade-In Value: $7,725

Loan Value: $6,975

Retail Value: $9,650

Original MSRP: $49,900

Just learned that the car is beginning to have the flickering dash light troubles. On this site or on clublexus.com I learned about Jim Walker who can fix this but I think a price reduction for this would be appropriate. Yes?

Absolutely, with out a doubt. Is the seller savvy enough to know about Jim's services? If not, play the angle that it will cost at least $1,200 to fix it, since it's a dealer fix item.

Absolutely, with out a doubt. Is the seller savvy enough to know about Jim's services? If not, play the angle that it will cost at least $1,200 to fix it, since it's a dealer fix item.

I would have played that angle but another buyer got the car before I could. Not sure it would have made any difference though. The owner wasn't aware of or didn't think the dash lights were an issue. The car sold for $200 over asking price - somebody was very pleased with the cars condition. The new owner will now have to deal with the dash lights gradually going out. I won't.

I'm looking at another that has had everything done to it with only 103K on it for $8,500. Its in perfect shape. A friend of mine who lives in the city where the car is is on his way to test drive it for me. I'm about to call Lexus with the VIN number to confirm the services that have been performed. I'll let you know how it goes.

• 4 months later...

I'm in Dallas, and I paid $5,000 for a '94 LS with 155K in February '05, and have, to date, spent over $3,000 in repairs that the previous owner had neglected to handle--all the things you listed, plus those mentioned in subsequent posts. I have one more major repair to make--the rack-and-pinion--and then I think I will be done. All that is to say, caveat emptor, and I think, given what I have experienced, that your deal is pretty good. Just make sure you have documentation for all the work that's been done on the car. Oh, and obtain more than one key or set of keys if they are available from the seller. If not, you're looking at $51 for an extra key, just a basic one without remote, and it has to come from the dealership. Five times that amount if you want a full set--remote, valet, etc., and it cancels out the original set.