When Gas Pedal Pushed Hard, Engine Stalls/hesitate

xmanpike

This just happened. If I try to accelerate quickly the engine shudders/stalls and the check engine light comes on briefly then goes off and everything is fine. I just have to be very smooth with the accelerator or this happens. 1994 LS400. Any ideas on what this might be. This car was not mine and was not taken care of well, probably no fuel filter or air filter replacements in the near past.

When you say "accelerate quickly", are you talking about wide open throttle, or just aggressive acceleration?

This could be an EGR valve problem, but it sounds more like an air/fuel mixture issue since it runs fine otherwise.

Have you checked the error codes to see if there are any stored?

Hello,

I just joined this board and will appreciate your feedback on the following issue:

I am looking to buy a Lexus 2004 ES 330 with 4,000 miles from a dealership. This car was bought back from the owner that purchased it a few months ago. The owner was experiencing a hesitancy when accelerating and when coasting.

The dealership service department is telling me that is was computer system issue that has been fixed.

Their explanation is that these cars have now a computerized system that adjusts to the driving patterns/style/behavior of the driver. I believe it is called the Engine Control System.

After the owner experienced the acceleration hesitancy problem, he took it to the dealership to have it fixed. The dealership used the Lexus engineers latest software to upgrade the car's computerized system. However, the owner was still experiencing the same hesitancy issue and was not satisfied with the car. The dealership bought it back from the owner and the car is now for sale.

I spoke with the service department and they assured me that there is nothing to be concerned about. The car has no mechanical problems at all. The computerized system has been upgraded with the latest software provided by the Lexus engineers and that the car is fine now. Basically, he said it was an owner issue and not necesarily a car issue.

Any comments or advice on this type of issue that will help me make a decision whether to purchase this car or not will be very much appreciated. I don't want to make a risky purchase.

Jose

When you say "accelerate quickly", are you talking about wide open throttle, or just aggressive acceleration?

This could be an EGR valve problem, but it sounds more like an air/fuel mixture issue since it runs fine otherwise.

Have you checked the error codes to see if there are any stored?

• 4 months later...

further details in addition to original post:

94 ls 400. When the car is at a stop or moving very slow, about less then 5 miles.... and then you step on the pedal to accelerate. Thats when it stalls and feels like it is going to die. But if you release the pedal and step slowing the accelerator, it will accelerate slowly. Any attempt to accelerate fast will result in this symtom. even a regular pressure acceleration will have this symtom. Only gentle pedal work will be ok. This happen when reversing but not when in neautral or park. I guess coz the car is not being turned by the motor or in gear. Could it be transmission related? When i accelerate gingerly up to 45 miles and iam in the freeway, and i push the pedal to accelerate, same thing happens, it stalls and wants to die out. But if i let go of the pedal, it wont die out and i have to push pedal gently again to accelerate slowly.

thanks all for you help

i found the kickdown cable but i dont know what is supposed to be "normal" with it. The service guys at lexus said they never heard of it. Tell me how it is supposed to be. I know u can push the button in and out right? how do i check it?

thanks buddy

• 17 years later...
On 8/15/2005 at 2:50 PM, johnls400 said:

further details in addition to original post:

94 ls 400. When the car is at a stop or moving very slow, about less then 5 miles.... and then you step on the pedal to accelerate. Thats when it stalls and feels like it is going to die. But if you release the pedal and step slowing the accelerator, it will accelerate slowly. Any attempt to accelerate fast will result in this symtom. even a regular pressure acceleration will have this symtom. Only gentle pedal work will be ok. This happen when reversing but not when in neautral or park. I guess coz the car is not being turned by the motor or in gear. Could it be transmission related? When i accelerate gingerly up to 45 miles and iam in the freeway, and i push the pedal to accelerate, same thing happens, it stalls and wants to die out. But if i let go of the pedal, it wont die out and i have to push pedal gently again to accelerate slowly.

thanks all for you help

Same problem im. Experincing it did it before then disappeared now it happens  alot more then usual wat may be the problem?