Trac Light And Check Engine Light

92ls forhundo

hello the other night i was driving home and all of a sudden out of nowhere my traction (TRAC) light AND check engine light came on simultaneously. of course this was after i was talking up what a great car this is to a friend :censored: :cries: :angry: . Anyway does anybody know what this means? The car seems to be driving fine, although sometimes it seems that i smell something sort of funny, but my sense of smell sucks and i dont trust it. Or can anybody tell how to check the codes? I think ive heard something about ye olde paper clip method? But where? And how? apologize in advance for wordy,long winded message and help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

thanks a bunch linuxfan,im a mac addict so a default linuxfan in a stepchild/3rd cousin sort of way. Anyway i got code 71 which i believe is an egr malfunction, but code 70 is also an egr malfunction. Does anyone know the difference? hopefully i have just a stuck egr valve which can be cleaned? but then why does TRAC light also come on? Thanks in advance. :ph34r::geek:

The TRAC light, unfortunately, is another error code that you have to pull. There's an engine control module and a traction control module, both are separate processors with separate error codes.

First, open your hood. Look at the left side of the bay (while facing the car) and about mid-point on the fender is a black plastic box-cover. Pull it off. Find the service connector underneath (circular plug) and unplug it.

Remember what you just did to get the check engine light error code? Just put the paperclip between the two in the middle (E1, which you did before, and the slot left of it, Tc). Count the code just as before.

Let us know what the code is and I'll look it up.

Ooops - almost forgot. Code 70:

Open in EGR gas temp sensor circuit

Short in VSV circuit for EGR

EGR hose disconnected, valve stuck

ECU

I'd try cleaning it if you know how. Check out the hoses to make sure they're secure. If it doesn't work, let us know. There are more diagnostic steps, but they're more involved than this simple explanation.

The TRAC light, unfortunately, is another error code that you have to pull.  There's an engine control module and a traction control module, both are separate processors with separate error codes.

First, open your hood.  Look at the left side of the bay (while facing the car) and about mid-point on the fender is a black plastic box-cover.  Pull it off.  Find the service connector underneath (circular plug) and unplug it.

Remember what you just did to get the check engine light error code?  Just put the paperclip between the two in the middle (E1, which you did before, and the slot left of it, Tc).  Count the code just as before.

Ooops - almost forgot.  Code 70:

ECU

I'd try cleaning it if you know how.  Check out the hoses to make sure they're secure.  If it doesn't work, let us know.  There are more diagnostic steps, but they're more involved than this simple explanation.

thank you very much econ. i thought i saw somewhere that the tarc light is telling you that something is being recorded to the cpu. i will try that technique with the trac ecu . Although im still puzzled as to why they are coming on at the same time, and i might add yesterday after filling the tank they both came off together too?!?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,i pulled the code to my traction control and it gave a "51" which according to the manuel says that there is an engine control malfunction which is probably a short or an open connection in one of the various wiring bundles of the trac control. Also the manual states that this error will cause the check engine light to turn on as well. So, i do have an egr issue but my paricular trac issue also causes the check engine light to come on so it wasnt two diferent issues(although it is). I live in so.cal. maybe i should look into bypassing the trac anyway? Thanks again to all who helped me.

My understanding is that when an engine code is detected, the trac light comes on indicating that it is disabled while the engine code is unrepaired. Repair the egr problem and reset the computer, and the trac light will be off.

• 2 weeks later...

The check engine light just came on in my 91 LS400. The error code is a 71. I will start the diagnosis after work today, but I'm curious, how risky is it to drive the car before the (EGR) problem is resolved? Is it possible that limited driving under it's current condition may cause additional problems? Is it possible the car will suddenly quit on me?

Thanks for any additional insight...

• 4 weeks later...
The TRAC light, unfortunately, is another error code that you have to pull.  There's an engine control module and a traction control module, both are separate processors with separate error codes.

First, open your hood.  Look at the left side of the bay (while facing the car) and about mid-point on the fender is a black plastic box-cover.  Pull it off.  Find the service connector underneath (circular plug) and unplug it.

Remember what you just did to get the check engine light error code?  Just put the paperclip between the two in the middle (E1, which you did before, and the slot left of it, Tc).  Count the code just as before.

Ooops - almost forgot.  Code 70:

ECU

I'd try cleaning it if you know how.  Check out the hoses to make sure they're secure.  If it doesn't work, let us know.  There are more diagnostic steps, but they're more involved than this simple explanation.

My car does the same thing. code 71, i cleared it after replacing the vsv valve, and it stayed off for about 50 miles. then came back on. i pulled the code again, same code. after driving some more it went off on its own again, and then after a while came back on again. WTF.? what can I do? What part of the egr needs cleaning? is it the pipe from the exhaust to the intake or some other pipe? I am a mechanic and just need some direction on this. I am ready to tear into it if need be. thanks magnumpi300@yahoo.com 1992 Ls400 with air ride suspension.