Stereo Install Problem

I finally had my CD player installed in my 94 gs300, using the factory amp. The problem is that only the sub and the rear speakers work. The tech said that he would probably have to rewire and replace my front speakers. Oh, and they were working before the install. Any one have any similar problems or possible solutions?

Anyone able to use the factory sub with aftermarket cd player? Also how many amps are there? I thought there was only one, but was told there may be 2-3 or maybe the speakers have built in amps...?

I finally had my CD player installed in my 94 gs300, using the factory amp. The problem is that only the sub and the rear speakers work. The tech said that he would probably have to rewire and replace my front speakers. Oh, and they were working before the install. Any one have any similar problems or possible solutions?

Anyone able to use the factory sub with aftermarket cd player? Also how many amps are there? I thought there was only one, but was told there may be 2-3 or maybe the speakers have built in amps...?

Don't see why he'd have to do that, each set of inputs to the amp has it's own + AND -, so maybe you need a more experienced tech or for one of us to draw it out for him <_<

Yeah I'm going to double check with him. He said he would research it more this weekend. This was his first lexus. I'm going to give him the wiring diagram.

on a side note I got my ARISTO back panel ($99 with s/h!) and will install soon. Also I just ordered 1000 Red LEDs for my tail lights so I will be fabricating those....

hey what's up. i'm currently using the factory sub with an aftermarket screen. My setup is a little different. After installing my deck at TWEETER, my sub will still connected with my factory amp and sounded kinda crappy, so i told them to just forget about the sub. So I just went home and installed my old sony 400 watt amp and it works perfectly fine. You should forget about the factory amp because it's not going to push your sub anymore than what you're hearing now... you'll just get a negative feedback from the alternator or a popping sound because the signal from the deck is too much. I suggest this... you have your deck already, so that means he ran wires from the deck to the rear correct? I mean, this is how you have to do it if you don't want to kill yourself at the front. anyways, the harness from the amp has all the wires you need. Have your tech connect the appropriate wires for the speakers, get yourself a 400 watt amp (that's should be a cap for your factory sub) hook up the amp to your sub and you're done. you'll have a way better sound garanteed. the wattage you'll be putting out from you new deck will produce clarity to your speakers and the amp will give you more watts for your sub which in turn give you a nice full sound that you haven't heard yet. i was surprised myself when i heard my sub do that. didn't want to over do it with the wattage, that's why i said 400 watts is good enough since it's factory. also, i have a nakamichi sub, i know like a 95 gs has a different sub. i don't know what year their subs changed, but it's a big difference in magnet size. so I suggest you go that route.

Thanks,  any recommendations on a specific amp that doesnt cost too much?  I don't really know anything about amps.

Since it's a factory sub, i would go with a simple kenwood or sony amp. no more than 400 watts though. That's enough to give you great low end bass from the sub.

someone recommended a 5 channel amp, do I have to get the 5 ch amp or can I use a 4 ch?

If you're replacing the factory amp you need a 5 channel or a 4 channel and a monoblock or a 4 channel and a 2 channel bridged mono or 2) 2 channels and a monoblock or 3) 2 channels with one being bridged mono or a 6 channel with 2 of the channels being bridged mono. You get the point? If you're not replacing the factory amp, you can get by with a monoblock or 2 channel bridged mono. YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE, BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING!!!! Figure out your goal for your stereo and then buy what you need. Otherwise you'll probabaly buy something that won't be compatible if you make any changes in the future. <_<

someone recommended a 5 channel amp, do I have to get the 5 ch amp or can I use a 4 ch?

I'm currently using a 4 channel Sony amp and it's bridged. The quality of the sound is great. Just remember when tuning the amp, make sure the setting are all on low. turn up the volume to the highest you'll think you'll have it from your deck and tune the amp accordingly. you don't want to have a good base line when your volume is low and then turn it up and accidently blowing out your sub. So yeah, the amp is totally preference. for you, I think a two channel would make it easier since it seems you really don't know the ropes on stereo equipment. that way, there won't be a hassle on bridging anything. A two channel amp then set the output setting to mono for your single sub... then set all your setting to like low boost and stuff if you have the built in crossovers. if you have any more questions. just let us know.

I want to eventually have a pretty good sound system, not so much as to give people foot massages as they walk by on the side walk, but decent. Lound and Clear. I listen to a lot of Trance and House music so it has to be able to hi and low with clairity. Eventually swapping out speakers and sub. I dont want to buy something new now only to replace it with something better in 6 months. I found this HiFonics amp:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_368.html

How good is HiFonics? Would I be able to use this on a low setting with factory speakers and sub for a couple of months until I upgrade my speakers and sub?I was also thinking of going with HiFonics speakers and sub too....

I want to eventually have a pretty good sound system, not so much as to give people foot massages as they walk by on the side walk, but decent.  Lound and Clear.  I listen to a lot of Trance and House music so it has to be able to hi and low with clairity.  Eventually swapping out speakers and sub.  I dont want to buy something new now only to replace it with something better in 6 months.  I found this HiFonics amp:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_368.html

How good is HiFonics?  Would I be able to use this on a low setting with factory speakers and sub for a couple of months until I upgrade my speakers and sub?I was also thinking of going with HiFonics speakers and sub too....

It's all about preference like i said before... In my opinion I would go with quality instead of quantity. If you want crisp highs, I recommend boston accoustics all around in the cabin of the car and for a nice low boost sub, I would go with atleast a 10W3 JL AUDIO or an eclipse sub.

Before you read what I have to say below, did you put in an aftermarket deck or are you still using the stock deck. I've installed both, but let me tell you, it's much easier if you have an aftermarket deck. Below I will give my two cents about the amp.

Now about that amp. Well the good thing about it is that you have channels for all your speakers including your sub plus built in crossovers. So you say you want to use it for a couple of months... Well If you really want, go ahead and start operating on your wire harness. I recommend you leave about 2-2 1/2 inches of slack from the harness itself just incase you want to use your original amp again. Make your proper connections and vualla, you're new amp is in.

Hifonics used to be one of the best amps out there. However, they were bought out by another company and sad to say the quality was downgraded. I don't think the amp has enough power to give you loud sound (55x4) is just not enough, in my opinion. Id look for a PPI amp or hifonics amp(older model, used) that has at least (100x4) for the highs. I'd do about 4 to 500 watts for the bass(again older PPI or hifonics). Ratings are not to be trusted unless the amps are of a high quality, reliable source. <_< With this kind of clean and loud power you're also going to be need too upgrade the alternator to around 160 to 200 amps for the best sound, plan on spending about 5 to $600 for wire, alternator and all the other parts needed. When you're ready let me know as I'm an expert in upgraded electrical systems and can help you out immeasureably in guidance.

Yes I have an aftermarket deck...type is in my sig.

That HiFonics amp:

2 ohms power output: 110 watts x 4 channels + 300 watts x 1 channel

4 ohms power output: 55 watts x 4 channels + 200 watts x 1 channel

what kind of difference does the different ohms levels make? Couldn't I use the 55 watt setting and then after upgrading my speakers go for the 110 watt level?

what is the stock speaker/sub/amp ratings anyways?

oh yeah and what about Hifonics speakers/subs? Are they any good?

Yes I have an aftermarket deck...type is in my sig.

That HiFonics amp:

2 ohms power output: 110 watts x 4 channels + 300 watts x 1 channel

4 ohms power output: 55 watts x 4 channels + 200 watts x 1 channel

what kind of difference does the different ohms levels make? Couldn't I use the 55 watt setting and then after upgrading my speakers go for the 110 watt level?

what is the stock speaker/sub/amp ratings anyways?

The ohms make a big difference! Unfortunately all car audio speakers(mids and highs) are either 8 or 4 ohms. You'd have to have 2 sets of speakers on each channel to get the 2ohm output. Usually at the lower impedance quality is sacrificed(higher distortion, heat, and amperage). The impedance is not something that can be changed by flipping a switch. I would recommend a PPI PC4800 or a Hifonics Olympus or Goliath(older models) all around 100x4 @4ohms with .002 to .005 distortion(very clean) US amps also make great amps, mainly designed for competition and running lots of speakers of small amps that put out tremendous power when loaded down with speakers. Also called cheater amps. Stock ratings are 4ohms for mid/highs and probabaly somewhere around 20 watts for each speaker with the sub probably at around 40 to 50 watts.

• 15 years later...

Hi I’m not having stereo problems but I have a sub and mono amp installed with a loc connected to my stock sub but it won’t put any signal through it will have a super short punch every once in a while but that’s it. Does anybody know what might be going wrong?

Immediately after buying the GU on Android, I noticed that the sound quality is much worse in comparison with the original radio tape recorder. I checked and ran the melody using different channels, and found that one of them simply did not work. Help