So Let The Search Begin...

Hello all,

I currently own a 1997 Honda Prelude with 75,000 miles. Why am I moving away from Honda brilliance...because I need rear wheel drive and the only vehicle that Honda offers with rear wheel drive doesn't accomodate my 6'2" height. <_<

So I'm looking for another vehicle and I'm leaning towards the Lexus IS300. I will be buying my new car at the beginning of June at the latest so I have about 2 months to make my decision.

Other (used) cars I'm considering are:

350Z

1991/1992 NSX

3 series

S4

I have to buy a used one because I am a student and don't have the ability to pay exorbitant car payments. I may make some alterations to the vehicle but I'm not sure. Aesthetically, they all have their value so that is not factoring into the decision much.

Is anyone able to offer pros and cons as to why I should get the IS300 as opposed to these others of similar class?

-Sherlock Holmes

Hello all,

I imagine the lack of interest in this post derives from one of seven different things:

1. People genuinely aren't interested in providing anecdotal information about their vehicle.

2. People aren't confident enough in their IS300 vis-a-vis another vehicle listed in my previous post.

3. I'm a newbie so why respond, why flame...just ignore.

4. People feel that my decision is my decision so my request for their imput is somewhat silly.

5. I'll renew point #2

6. People have many more important things to devote time and attention to than someone trying to make an informative decision based on the testimonies of actual owners of a vehicle.

7. I'll renew point #2.

8. Or the classic reason..."noone else posted so why should I?" Oh..don't follow the trend.

The people at www.my350z.com are so much more personable.

S. Holmes

Hello all,

I imagine the lack of interest in this post derives from one of seven different things:

1. People genuinely aren't interested in providing anecdotal information about their vehicle.

2. People aren't confident enough in their IS300 vis-a-vis another vehicle listed in my previous post.

3. I'm a newbie so why respond, why flame...just ignore.

4. People feel that my decision is my decision so my request for their imput is somewhat silly.

5. I'll renew point #2

6. People have many more important things to devote time and attention to than someone trying to make an informative decision based on the testimonies of actual owners of a vehicle.

7. I'll renew point #2.

8. Or the classic reason..."noone else posted so why should I?" Oh..don't follow the trend.

The people at www.my350z.com are so much more personable.

S. Holmes

1. These boards ain't all that active in the IS300 area.

2. Two days of no posts ain't exactly a fair shot, since it's the weekend and all.

3. Posting up a bunch of cars and asking a comparison with no specifics, ain't a real easy question.

4. A newb coming in and criticize the entire community ain't exactly and endearing approach.

5. I like my 2002 IS300 just fine. It's all I expected and more at 35,000 miles, but I can't tell you how it's gonna be at 75,000 miles.

6. I don't think I'd buy a car though based on the perceived friendy atmosphere on a message board, especially when there's been no intereaction, until now, on this one.

7. All of your questions are a matter of personal preference, age, driving style, intended use of the car, etc. Nobody can really tell what's right for you.

Perhaps refining your questions and narrowing things down a bit would be much better received than your trying to analyze the forum.

Now then, if you want to ask some specific questions re the IS300, someone might take the time to answer, but don't expect pages and pages, cause there just ain't that many around here.

Hello Silent Community,

So here is what I have so far... 1 month, 4 weeks and 3 days from my new (used) car purchase.... vis-a-vis the 350Z

The 350Z is faster...much faster, but the IS300 is so much more reliable. 0-60 in 5.3 versus 0-60 in 7.0.

IS300 SCREAMS METROSEXUAL.... you know, Armani shirt with the Armani faded jeans and the Gucci glasses whereas the 350Z just screams cool.

The alteeza lights on the IS300 SCREAMS chezzy upgrade whereas the fluid design of the 350Z is so concise.

The early IS300's (which I'll probably buy if I get one) were mostly auto...I'm a PURELY manual guy.

Why the 4 doors?

BUT................

I love Toyotas, and the VVT-I engine is not too dissimilar from the V-Tech that I am so used to from my Prelude.

Its a Toyota...need I say more---O.K. I will....QUALITY, QUALITY and more QUALITY.

The interior guages are pretty postmodern...definately cool.

2003 sits on 17" rims stock...definately cool.

The 2003 350Z manual has some transmission problems...not too into that ya know.

Simple upgrades will probably have the IS300 at 250+ I imagine...but since I can't get any feedback I may have to buy one to find out.

Despite screaming METROSEXUAL, the look is really jazzy...

O.K. so here is the next batch of questions that may go unanswered: :(

1. Can you get TRD to quicken the IS300 a bit?

2. If not...will simple upgrades done semi- professionally (but correctly) disrupt the Toyota engine reliabilty?

3. Anyone have any manual transmission issues with a 2003?

This post will remain active...if I am the only one to post to it. ;)

-Holmes, S.

To Bartkat above^^^

Thanks so much for your response.

I figured that I would just use the post as my personal journal to chronicle my IS300 purchase. Since I am partial to that car, I figured that I would open up a free-for-all for people to post their feelings on why they chose the IS300 over other comparable vehicles. I really want to make an informed decision, so I brought my journal here...

I wasn't trying to be abrasive or counterproductive...please accept my apology if any of my posts came off like that. It's just hard when you don't have "particularized" questions about a car...you more so want to be comforted by the narratives of others. That is kind of where I am at right now.

So what have decided to do is simply share any developments I have and ask questions as they become known to me. And when I finally do buy THE car (in 1 month, 4 weeks and 3 days), I'll share pictures and stuff with the community. That, I figure, is the best way to conduct this "car buying journal." I asked questions in my last post towards the end.

So thanks again for your response. It is good to know I'm not conversating with myself.

-S. Holmes

1. Can you get TRD to quicken the IS300 a bit?

2. If not...will simple upgrades done semi- professionally (but correctly) disrupt the Toyota engine reliabilty?

3. Anyone have any manual transmission issues with a 2003?

1. About the only TRD stuff would be a drop in air filter.

2. You can to the IHE route and with the right stuff, will not hurt the reliablity. Maybe best gains by eliminating the first two cats and put in some O2 sims, along with a SRT intake, a good header and exhaust.

3. The auto trans is stronger than the manual, if you are thinking about going with much more power. People with manuals that are going FI are usually ending up swapping to a stronger trans.

The reason I know I did not answer this post yet is I have not seen it. I am interested in replying. I love to give my opinion and facts, especially when people ask for it. First off, cross the S4 and 3 series right off your list. NO GERMAN. Worst bang for the buck, bad reliabilty, typically snobby people own them who think that you are a dumb punk kid in your "mere" Japanese car. They like to hear them selves say "German engineering". I can give more valid reasons for not going with those cars, but I am assuming that you threw those in there just to mix it up a bit, but they do not compare to Japanese. Toyota is the best way to go overall, with Honda in a near second, Nissan in a kinda near third. I know exactly what you are going for. Adjectives to describe the car you want: stylish, pimp, luxurious, functional, reliable, FAST, and if you are like me, then SLEEPER. The NSX is amazing, but holds its value too dam well. You said a 91 or 92. Yeah thats comparably priced with lots of newer used cars. And insurance will suck and its a 2 seater. And not sleeper. (You know I am getting around to chosing the IS as I am in the Lexus family, but I will give good reasons). The 350Z is also amazing. Fast as hell, good aftermarket support. I heard however, that the tranny is iffy. Also, like the NSX-high insurance (for 2 doors and stock horse power) and people know exactly how fast that sucker is. Plus I don't think they have the 2+2 for the new models. I may be mistaken. Now to the beloved IS. Number one in reliabilty. You know that. Four doors= less insurance, sleeperness, more functional, you never have to get out of your seat to let some one in the back, cuz thats very non-pimp when you have to do that. Comes in manual the second year it was out (2002) not 2003. Handles amazingly, especially if you lower it with a nice stiff setup. ALmost a 50/50 weight ratio. The 350 is a little off because of its bigger engine and compact design. IT IS AN INLINE. Sick torque curve on it. Pretty solid throughout all RPMs. A $3k-$5k turbo kit will get u well into the 300 crank HP range with the help of headers, exhaust, intake, etc. If you matched the HP on the IS to the 350Z, it would smoke the 350 because IT IS AN INLINE. It is not a typical sedan, as it is still very sporty and eye catching. Only thing is the tail light. I agree, a little tad itsy bit ricey, but if you open up the tail light and paint the housing black or even the color of the exterior, it will not look ricey. I have seen it either on this site or another one and it looks amazing. And the little tiny circle tail lights next to the main big one can be blacked out or colored to the exterior with see through paint made for tail lights to make it invisible. Plus it has the same engine used in the Supra, but with VVT-i. The IS300 is the overall best choice for you. And it is cheaper than the 350Z. I hope you get the IS300, I would be so happy for you.

Best regards,

Anthony.

I know exactly what you are going for. Adjectives to describe the car you want: stylish, pimp, luxurious, functional, reliable, FAST, and if you are like me, then SLEEPER. The NSX is amazing, but holds its value too dam well. You said a 91 or 92. Yeah thats comparably priced with lots of newer used cars.

Wow...Thanks everyone for the posts. I certainly appreciate the imput and advice.

Anthony,

I don't know if you read minds or just have an INCREDIBLE ability to infer meaning from a post but you are absolutely right as to everything that I am looking for: stylish, pimp, luxurious, functional, reliable, fast and I would like a Sleeper car.

Also, the craziest thing is I absolutely did add in the S4 and the 3 series to make my list more comprehensive (hoping to generate more feedback)...not really because I have ever considered them as an option. I was going to also add WRX on the list but I didn't think I would be taken seriously ;)

There is nothing about me that would ever go Euro...I have driven Honda/Acura all my life...I need RELIABILITY.

What you said about the 350Z cataloged all my concerns about the car. The tranny problems being the worst followed by the insurance costs and the fact that I would have to go with the 2003 (affordability) and that was the first model year.

As I said before in all liklihood I will go with the IS300. It is good to know I can make it faster without compromising engine quality. Bartkat, you said that those that are making it faster end up swapping to a stronger manual...are you talking 200+ horsepower faster or are referring to a more mundane 50-75 horsepower faster. I'm interested in the 70-100 horsepower variety (280-300 at the crank would be nice). Anthony's suggestion of a 3-5 k turbo would probably be the way I would go. Any testimonials about switching transmissions for that type of upgrade. I hope not. I have to have a manual and I don't want to switch trannies.

Thanks guys.

-SH

I had no idea I could read your mind. I guess I am psycho like everyone says. They always said it in an insulting way though... :whistles:

But, I think I know what you want because I am kinda in your shoes. I am only 20 and am in college and I know how it is. You want to be driving casually and have about 3 or 4 girls see your car and think "nice car" and then they all jump in and on the way back to your dorm or crazy bachelor pad for some :cheers: and :censored: , some dude in a BMW or any other car with "German engineering" or any well known fast car tries to mess with you, and you smoke him sooo bad, even with your premium sound system pumping. And the girls with their cute voices are like "hehe you are the man", and you act like it's nothing...It was a fun weekend that I owe all to my Lexus. Anyway, with all silliness aside, I hope you enjoy the car. You won't need turbo for just 250hp. Headers, intake, exhaust and a chip will get you over that anyway. But it will be loud. The turbo would hush it up a bit, but your call. Have fun counting down the days. You will soon be in the family.

S Holmes,

Sorry about your previous fustrations, but like Bartkat said the IS forum is not very active as compared to the ES or LS forums for example (hopefully that will change). The IS in your situation is a good choice and I would recommend you look at this site because it actually has a lot of parts that you could buy to give your potential IS a certain look. Here you go L-tuned Website Click Here. Good luck with your search.