Ls430 Wheels On A Ls400

agc

I am thinking of getting 17" LS430 wheels for my 2000 LS400, does anyone have any pictures. I am trying to decide between the 17" LS430 wheels or 18" aftermarket wheels (similar to the 18" LS430 wheels). What do you guys think, I am really concern about ride quality and therefore thinking that 17" might be better for me. I live in the NYC area and would like to be able to use the car and not worry about the ride quality. I bought this car because of the ride and therefore don't want to mess with it too much, but am not crazy about the wheels that are on the car now (16" LS400 5 star wheel). Also which tires are the best for this car, quietness and comfort is very important

Thanks all

AGC

If you don't want to compromise on ride quality then go with 17". The ride quality suffers especially if you go above 18.

I would recommend you go with 17" ls430 wheels. I have michelen mxv4 tires on mine and the ride quality is very smooth and quiet. If you want a little sporty feel then michelin pilot series tires would be a good choice.

agc,

In a previous post you seemed very concerned that you were feeling too many bumps which we later determined by your having the tires at 36 psi.

I suspect that you are going to have as much or more degradation in ride quality by going to 17" wheels with 55 series tires even if you watch the tire pressure closely. The ride will not be terrible but you will notice it at first until you get used to it.

Since you seem so concerned with the comfort of the ride, why are you considering this change? I see two 99 LS's in the parking lot with the same wheels (one standard and the other chrome) as yours and they look very nice.

There was a post on one of the forums a while back from someone who bought a used 2001 or 2002 LS430 and was disappointed that it rode so much rougher than the other used LS430's he had driven. Turned out that it had the optional 17" wheels.

Another question is tire life. This is from the CPO model library for a 2002 LS430: "Optional 17 x 7.5-in wheels with 225/55HR17 tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than the standard equipment tires, 225/60HR16. Tire life may be substantially less than 15,000 miles"

Whoa! I've put over 200,000 miles on LS400's and have gotten at least 40,000 miles from every set of non-winter tires mounted on the standard wheel size.

Just trying to be present other information for your consideration....

Thanks all,

As far as the current wheels, I do plan on keeping them and will use them in the winter. As for why I am thinking of changing wheels, I just wanted to personalize it a little. I figure the wheels were the easiest, also will be tinting the windows all around with 35%.

As for the wheels has anyone installed the 17" LS430 wheels on a 98-00 LS400, I have been searching everywhere and cannot find one picture. Does anyone know how the newer wheels would look on my car, I have no idea; but I am hoping it will look good. My care is millenium silver and I am looking to get chrome 17".

Please keep your opinions coming, I really appreciate evrerything.

Thanks

AGC

I've been driving some LS430s as incentive to get my new business venture up and running and I've noticed a couple things:

The 17s don't have much effect on the ride of a new LS430 vs an older LS400, the LS430 is overall slightly tauter in feel though. Oddly enough, theres VERY little difference between the 17s on the LS430 and the 18s on the LS430. I thought there would be, but there isn't. I've never driven an older LS430 with 16s though.

Now realize that I'm sure the 430 has had suspension changes to accomodate the 17s and now the 18s as being standard equipment to preserve the ride so I have no idea how your 400 would react.

Personally? I'd keep the 16s, or look at new 16s. You can put wheels from any RWD Lexus on your LS, GS wheels, SC wheels, there are several options if you want a little flair. To me the most important asset of a Lexus is the ride, and I wouldnt risk it for a little flash.

Hey guys, someone was able to help me out and did a photoshop image of my car with the wheels I am looking to get, the only thing the wheels are silver and I am looking to get chrome. Tell me what you think.

post-6389-1112217168_thumb.jpg

Same here, I think they're kind of blingy too.

i'm getting mine painted with a slight gun-metal colour. It should look good, once I buy the 18"ers.