Towing

laivindil

I've been talking with a friend who's blatently pro-domestic SUV/Trucks. His main argument is that domestics have stronger engines and better trannys (Chevy mostly) that make them better for towing compared to the Asian competetors which he thinks have ok or underpowered engines and undersized transmissions (such as Nissan pathfinders and xterras and Toyota 4runners)

I was wondering how the GX compares mechanically with SUVs like the Trailblazer and/or Tahoe when it comes to strong drivetrains and powerplants in relation to towing, off-road and cargo hauling.

Does it have a "weaker" drivetrain and an engine unsuited for towing?

Feel free to give as much detail as possible. I'm a noob when it comes to car mechanicals so learning it wouldn't be a bad thing. Thanks in advance.

I've been talking with a friend who's blatently pro-domestic SUV/Trucks. His main argument is that domestics have stronger engines and better trannys (Chevy mostly) that make them better for towing compared to the Asian competetors which he thinks have ok or underpowered engines and undersized transmissions (such as Nissan pathfinders and xterras and Toyota 4runners)

I was wondering how the GX compares mechanically with SUVs like the Trailblazer and/or Tahoe when it comes to strong drivetrains and powerplants in relation to towing, off-road and cargo hauling.

Does it have a "weaker" drivetrain and an engine unsuited for towing?

Feel free to give as much detail as possible. I'm a noob when it comes to car mechanicals so learning it wouldn't be a bad thing. Thanks in advance.

Your friend obviously doesnt know much about Toyota products. The Tahoe is a larger/heaver vehicle than pathfinders or 4runners. However, the Toyota Landcruiser is nearly as heavy as a Suburban and heavier than a Tahoe. Our GX's have the same drivetrain (engine/transmission/4wd system) as the Landcruiser although the GX is smaller and lighter weight. I had a 2000 Landcruiser and towed a 20 foot I/O boat 5 hours routinely on weekends up and down some 4% grades and easly followed Tahoes and Suburbans up and down the hills at speeds of 75mph. Also, boat owners that tow with Suburbans or Tahoes are noted for needing new transmissions around the 100k mark. I never hear of any Land Cruiser owners needing new transmissions. I plan on towing my boat with my 2005 GX and highly doubt I will have any trouble. The Trailblazer isn't even a contender in my mind. I believe the 5.3 liter GM engine is rated slightly higher in torque than our 4.7 Toyota engines but it doesnt seem to show in the hills.

The truth is quite the opposite. The Asians build stronger engines and transmissions that are better suited for towing duty. Examples:

The fluid temperature of Asian automatics runs at only 150-155 degrees F when cruising on the highway on level ground in 75 degree weather. Domestic fluid temps under the same conditions run around 190 degrees F so there is inherently less of a margin against fluid overheating.

Asian V8's have 180 degree cooling system thermostats. Domestics have 195 degree stats so so there is inherently less of a margin against cooling system overheating.

Asian V8's have double overhead cam engines with smaller cylinder bores and shorter piston strokes that enable them to be comfortable spinning at 4,000 RPM all day long on flatlands or when climbing long steep hills (if load conditions require). Domestics often have antique pushrod actuated valvetrains that hate high RPM and can suffer severe durability problems when driving conditions require the engine to run for extended periods at high RPM.

The list of differences goes on and on.

Last year Consumer Reports tested the Asian and Domestic full size pickups and they found

the best tow vehicle is the Nitan Titan pickup truck and Nissan Armada SUV and the Infiniti QX56 SUV. CR found the Titan pickup 5.6 liter V8 can still accelerate 0 - 60 MPH in 17 seconds while towing a 5000 lb trailer !! Toyota is expected to come out with a V8 that matches the size and output of the Titan's V8 in 2006.

Last year Consumer Reports tested the Asian and Domestic full size pickups and they found

the best tow vehicle is the Nitan Titan pickup truck and Nissan Armada SUV and the Infiniti QX56 SUV.  CR found the Titan pickup 5.6 liter V8 can still accelerate 0 - 60 MPH in 17 seconds while towing a 5000 lb trailer !!  Toyota is expected to come out with a V8 that matches the size and output of the Titan's V8 in 2006.

Really? I read a review a while back (edmunds I believe, maybe motortrend) that tested a Chevy, Dodge, Ford and Toyota 1/2 ton trucks. The reviewer said that the Tacoma was "questionable" under load and the build quality wasn't all that great compared to the Ford and Chevy. This was before the Titan came on the scene.

If you could hook me up with some reading material that'd be great. I'm a noob looking to be educated B)

Many libraries carry Consumer Reports and Trailer Life Magazines. Back issues have road tests of the Toyota Tundra pickup and Nissan Titan pickup.

Surely you've also probably seen Toyota Motorhomes on the road for the past 30 years. These Motorhomes weight 5,500 - 6,500 lbs yet most of them are powered by only a Toyota 4 cylinder engine mated to a four speed automatic transmission. No Ford or Chevy 4 cylinder motor has ever been rugged and capable enough to survive motorhome duty.

• 4 weeks later...
Many libraries carry Consumer Reports and Trailer Life Magazines.  Back issues have road tests of the Toyota Tundra pickup and Nissan Titan pickup.

Surely you've also probably seen Toyota Motorhomes on the road for the past 30 years.  These Motorhomes weight 5,500 - 6,500 lbs yet most of them are powered by only a Toyota 4 cylinder engine mated to a four speed automatic transmission.  No Ford or Chevy 4 cylinder motor has ever been rugged and capable enough to survive motorhome duty.

I have no data to quote, but for the past year I have regularly towed a loaded two horse trailer with my 2004 GX470. Prior to that, I towed the same trailer and horses with a 1996 K2500 Suburban with a 7.4L V8.

Gas mileage while towing with the Suburban averaged about 10.5 mpg. Interestingly, gas mileage without the trailer averaged about the same 10.5 mpg. Without looking in the rear view mirror, it was easy to forget that you were towing a trailer. There was very little downshifting on uphill grades.

Gas mileage towing with the Lexus has also been about 10-11 mpg. The Lexus really works hard to maintain speed going up grades on the interstates, with frequent downshifting. It isn't nearly as comfortable a tow vehicle as the Suburban.

The shorter wheelbase of the Lexus vs the Suburban also makes the combination Lexus and trailer feel "squirrely."

Since about 90 percent of my mileage is without towing and 10 percent with a trailer I'm saving on fuel costs, even though the Suburban only required regular gasoline.

I'd still feel better about my horses if I were driving something with a longer wheelbase.

On another related topic - third seat access - the Suburban, while certainly not in the van or even minivan class in this area, has the Lexus beat. I take my office staff of 7 out to lunch every Friday, and they miss the Suburban.

I got rid of my 99 Dodge Dakota just as it was falling apart (traded it in with the engine light on). And I really take care of my vehicles. A buddy at work just bought a Dodge and is on his third engine now with just over 250 miles!!!!

There is a serious lack of quality with domestic vehicles. I'll never buy one again. I have no complaints about my '05 GX. Sure, I've got the clunk when I get to a stop light, but it's not that noticable. Just a downshift.