Help: Considering Buying 91's Ls400

apezam

Folks,

I would like you advise regarding service record I was able to obtain from Lexus dealer. This record is for the car that I am thinking of buying.

It looks like car either was not maintained starting from year 2000 or it was taken elsewhere. In addition to that observation please look this over and provide your opinions about things that were maintained. Is that pretty typical for LS400 91's?

Also can any one look up vin # in carfax please?

Vin JT8UF11E0M0047436

Please email to: apezam@yahoo.com

Many thanks.

R.

ls400_servive_records.pdf

Here is the original ad text:

"1991 LEXUS LS400, silver, great condition, runs perfectly, loaded, w/leather, p/moonroof, seats, windows, locks, 119,000 hwy miles well maintained, hard to find at $5,700"

When I called the owner asking to see the car he told me that the car is at the shop for brake job. As soon as it is done he would give me call back.

In this conversation I also learned that he is a second owner and he got a car from the dealer at 70K. According to the present owner, the dealer told him that car came from Kentucky.

That is all I know to date.

R.

You'll obvoiusly know more once you see it in person. The timing belt should have been changed at 90K and is a major service expense so i'd make sure that had been done or negotiate the price down if it hasn't. Assuming everything checks out, it sounds like a good price. I paid $5500 for my 91 with 118K back in 2002 (was working at a dealership at the time) :pirate: .

One of the last entries on the service record shows inspection of rear main seal. Was it replaced? Check underneath the car for oil coating the underside of the engine and transmission. Shouldn't be any signs of a leak.

Good luck.