98 Ls400 And Cbes

LinuxFan

I have tried three times to get this setup done at the dealer and they say it does not have it on this vehicle, yet I read here a few times that the option to say lock the door when I put the gear shifter in Drive or unlock the door when I put the gear shifter in Park does exist on the 98s.

So who is right? Them or LexusOwnersClub members?

thank in advance

This is not one of the optional settings for the 98-00 LS according to the list provided to me by 99lsguy. I already checked whether this can be done since I would have liked to have the doors automatically lock when the gear selector is put into "drive". I have read that later model years have additional settings but I don't know if this is one of them.

Linux,

Here's what I have for Door Locks:

Door Lock UNLOCK/PARK Factory=OFF

ON/OFF of door auto unlock when vehicle is stopped and shifted into Park Options =ON/OFF

Door Lock ALL UNLOCK/OPN-CL Factory=OFF

ON/OFF of door auto unlock for all doors when drivers door opens within 10 seconds Of turning the ignition key from ON to OFF ON/OFF

Door Lock UNLOCK/KEY TWICE Factory=ON

When unlocking the drivers’ door one turn of the key will unlock drivers

door only two turns will unlock all doors

OFF When unlocking drivers’ door one turn will unlock all doors ON/OFF

Door Lock ANSWER BACK Factory=HAZARD HAZARD: Hazard lights will blink once when transmitter is used to lock vehicle

and twice when unlocking the vehicle providing the doors hood and trunk are dosed.

OFF: Hazard lights will not blink

SO----I think you can set it to UNLOCK the door when putting in Park ............but not LOCKING when putting car in Reverse or Drive .... :unsure:

Wifes Sequoia defaults to LOCKING when put in Reverse or when reaching 15 mph in drive..... it does not UNLOCK when put in park.

The option to lock when put in Drive is what I want most of all. I can unlock it when I put it in Park, plus that might not be safe -- depending on where you are when you put it in Park.

I asked the dealer service manager four times and he said no it cannot be done.

So can it or not

The option to lock when put in Drive is what I want most of all. I can unlock it when I put it in Park, plus that might not be safe -- depending on where you are when you put it in Park.

I asked the dealer service manager four times and he said no it cannot be done.

So can it or not

Agree that it "can't be done" :huh: .... just what's on the list....

I agree with having it unlock when in park== I don't like that option at all.....

I like that a lot more than the concept of locking when in drive. Sounds like a huge problem if someone can't get into your car when you're injured in an accident. What would be the point of having the car locked when you're driving?

In the "olden days" car doors were more likely to pop open in a crash if unlocked allowing ejection of occupants and injury/death from being run over by your own car. Now the main reason to keep your doors locked is to prevent car jacking or robbery. Google "lock doors while driving". Here is a link on the subject at the web site of my favorite car nuts, Tom and Ray: http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Arc...October/04.html

Car Talk is on Public Radio every Saturday at 9:00 AM Central Time. I almost never miss it. If I do miss it, I can listen to the show on their web site.

Just want to add that the reason that most cars, especially American, lock doors after driving above 15 mph is supposed to be a safety issue. But the real reason was that, after 1992, the NTSB caved in to American auto makers, and agreed to have automatic locks in lieu of automatic safety belts. I loved the automatic belts on my Eclipse, since it helped avoid the $200 plus fines levied by rookie cops-in my case Houston- if you were too slow to "buckle up" leaving your driveway.

GM whined that the cost of automatic seat belts was too expensive for American companies to make-that they were not competitive with foreign manufacturers, and that they were also an "infringement" on drivers "rights". So we now have auto locks-no auto seat belts-and-Oh? An estimated $2,000 per car cost for UAW health benefits for GM today.

No wonder we buy Lexus, and GM is going down the river...

There were actually some studies that showed the automatic belts are unsafe if the lap portion is not buckled, there were several decapitation scares. My understanding is thats why we no longer have automatic belts.

Curious response, SWO3ES. I've found that an awful lot of people try to say that automatic seat belts are dangerous for whatever reason, but that none can argue that an unfastened seat belt is more dangerous than a fastened one. And that an automatic seatbelt provides more security.

Tell me how your decapitation scares are more of a concern than head-on collisons without wearing your seatbelt, and I'll agree. I'm actually more concerned about water immersions with an electrically locked door. Can you unlock the door-which you didn't lock of your own volition-while you're underwater? The other door, too-where your children may be located?

Well say what you may, I am more concerned about being jacked than anything else -- and it does not matter where you live either; evil/moochers are everywhere. You make some good points still -- never the less; I WANTS WAT A WANTS!

So, yous got any idea of how I might be able to do this in my fancy, schmancy 98 LS400?

I am thinking maybe one could tie in the circuit or whatever the button activates when you push it to either the reverse light or to the brake pedal with a type of delay relay or something similar.

Since the shifter has to pass the R before it gets to the D, then it would lock the door when the reverse light gets the power. Or since we have to press the brake to put this beauty into Drive, then that would possibly work as well.

What you say? Any Electrical Engineer out there wanna dabble and give some suggestions, before I start digging/take it to THE MON? :D

Texas- I can try and find the studies but the studies showed that people were decapitated and killed in accidents that they may not have been had they been unbelted. I think that holds more water than the idea that American car companies "traded" autolocking for electric belts. If thats true then why arent all cars required by the NHTSA to have autolocking doors? They aren't. Electric seatbelts however were BANNED from American sold automobiles.

As for the door locks, when you pull the handle on the front doors the door unlocks. In the water you probably wouldnt be able to open the door anyways because of the pressure differential. If you're that concerned about it, carry a life hammer.

So, yous got any idea of how I might be able to do this in my fancy, schmancy 98 LS400?p

Honestly the best way? Just lock the doors when you get in.

Say for me (meaning you).

But for me I feel more comfortable with that feature since I forget almost everytime. All it takes is one time and who knows what will happen. I have a sticky to remind me to do so before I leave the garage, and that looks tacky...:lol: got it? tacky sticky? :)

:chairshot: Not hardly...:lol:

Do you lock your doors now? I imagine you do, but I could be wrong -- anyway, in Troy we do not need to but it is an old habit so I do it even though I do not need to especially if my wife is in the car. She is my co-pilot/safety advocate/security officer; she never forgets seatbelt, and the lock door button.

The best way I can help you understand it is to put it in computer terms, using an example the CEO of one Linux operating system company used a few months ago.

It had to do with the need to have an antivirus software on your computer system. I do not have an antivirus software on any of my computers, and I have 5 in our home. Why? Because we practice good computer ettiquette. We don't open attachments from people we don't know, don't open attachments if they are .exe files even though the OS we use do not support it, and we use Linux -- so anything that asks for the ROOT USER password that we did not initiate we simply ignore.

The same can be said for good driver actions while on the road... don't pick up people you do not know, be aware of your surroundings, don't go down dark alley, and I am sure you can add a few more as well and include always lock your door -- I think it is just common sense. And I believe most people (not all, but MOST) lock the doors to their vehicles no matter where they live... just to be sure, and nothing is wrong with that.

Me, I just want it automated.

I will have it too, just takes a little figuring out. B)

I agree, I set mine up to autolock. That always annoyed me about the LS400 that it doesn't lock when placed in drive.

Definately tell us how you did it when you figure it out!