Special Break-in Oil 5000 Miles First Change?

nyc11370

The SA told me the first oil change should be 5,000 miles because it is a special oil for break-in. 1,000 miles is too soon even when I pay for it.

Right?

I have the same topic posted in the clublexus forum. Want to see what the folks here think.

The SA told me the first oil change should be 5,000 miles because it is a special oil for break-in. 1,000 miles is too soon even when I pay for it.

Right?

I have the same topic posted in the clublexus forum. Want to see what the folks here think.

All my auto since 1991 got/get a oil change as soon as they get in driveway. It is up tp you. Do you want the rings to seat sooner or not. So far since driving I have never a manual state a special breakin oil was used. I got to a PAO oil that day. Never had a problem to date.

The only brand new car I have owned was a 2001 Nissan Maxima SE.....I changed the oil after 1,000 miles. Switched to synthetic at about 8,000. B) I currently use Amsoil ASL 5W30 in my ES.

:cheers:

Right?

I don't think anyone uses "break in oil" these days. Just go by what the manual says and you'll be ok. The main thing on a new engine is not to drive for prolonged periods at a constant speed. The manual tells you all about that too.

Right?

The main thing on a new engine is not to drive for prolonged periods at a constant speed. The manual tells you all about that too.

A very fair point bart. B) ;)

I called up a few dealers in NY, CA and TX. They all told me no need to change oil below 5,000. So this is offical, it is printed in the user manual too. I will stick with the 5,000 interval. No need to chicken. Today's technology is far better than 10-15 years ago.

All three brand new vehicles that I have bought where changed as soon as I got home. Out with the stock and in with full synthetic. I had intentions of keeping all three until they died, but I only have one of the original three now and it has 99K on it. Oil gets changed every 3k miles.

It might not be necessary to do an 'early' oil change when one buys a brand new vehicle, but some of the more 'fussy types' (me included) it's a small price to pay considering the cost of brand new vehicles these days. B) ;)