Special Break-in Oil 5000 Miles First Change?

nyc11370

The SA told me the first oil change should be 5,000 miles because it is a special oil for break-in. 1,000 miles is too soon even when I pay for it.

Right?

I have the same topic posted in the clublexus forum. Want to see what the folks here think.

The SA told me the first oil change should be 5,000 miles because it is a special oil for break-in. 1,000 miles is too soon even when I pay for it.

Right?

I have the same topic posted in the clublexus forum. Want to see what the folks here think.

go for the 1k oil change. anyway, it's necessary for a new engine and it's free! :D

The oil that comes in our GX's from the factory is regular Toyota oil...there is no special break in oil. No manufacturer uses a special break in oil. For years, I would always get my first oil change in a new car at the first thousand miles, in order to get rid of any small impurities that may be in the oil from the new engine break in.

I've been told by many mechanics in the last 10 years, that this is not necessary, since modern oils and filters really eliminate any need for it. I had my oil changed in my GX at 2800 miles , but would have left it till 5,000, if not for my driving on a 4,000 mile cross country trip the next week.

I also have used Mobil One full synthetic oil in all of my vehicles for years, and did the same at the first oil change in my GX. I plan on doing 5,000 mile intervals from now on, and feel very comfortable with that.

BTW, I am impressed with how my GX just doesn't use any oil. I drove over 4,000 miles , on the interstate at high speeds, along with quite a bit of stop and go city driving, and the dip stick is still right at the full mark.

The oil that comes in our GX's from the factory is regular Toyota oil...there is no special break in oil.

On Club Lexus we already told nyc11370 that his owners manual says Genuine Toyota Motor Oil is the factory fill oil and he can buy this Toyota oil at Toyota dealers in 1 quart bottles for $1.50 - $2.50 a quart if he wants to and can change it at any time since it's not a special break-in oil.

BTW, I am impressed with how my GX just doesn't use any oil. I drove over 4,000 miles , on the interstate at high speeds, along with quite a bit of stop and go city driving, and the dip stick is still right at the full mark.

I too have been using Mobil1 since 1990 and will continue this in my GX once it hits 5000 miles. Our current 98 LandCruiser with the same engine as the LX does not burn a drop of oil for the past 70K miles. I use if for sand dunes, off road and towing my 5000 boat. What an amazing engine. Somehow it still pulls harder than my GX.

I called up a few dealers in NY, CA and TX. They all told me no need to change oil below 5,000. So this is offical, it is printed in the user manual too. I will stick with the 5,000 interval. No need to chicken. Today's technology is far better than 10-15 years ago.