My 91 Ls400 Profile

Kennyr

I'm a new member to this site and thought I would introduce myself and car to the club. I am a retired Volvo mechanic with a 91 LS400, 145k Silver, no heated seats or trax. I bought it 5 years ago with 82k on it. It was a perfect dealer maintained one owner vehicle. Today it looks like the day I bought it. I do all my own work. Here's a list of the things I've repaired if 5 years. Brakes and 4 rotors twice. The Rotors are junk on these cars and don't last. I'm told 93's have bigger brakes. Drivers door handle, 4 shocks, swaybar bushings, antenna mast, throttle position sensor, a/c conversion to R134, new pr. window and door lock master switchpack in drivers door (the door lockout switches break), Motor mount and trans mount, plugs, caps and rotors, wires, t belt, idlers and tensioner, water pump and thermostat, serp belt, climate head unit (of course). I flush the complete tranny at least every 20k and change the oil every 3k. I have also added sheepskins since the 91 seats arn't that great. I have installed an aftermarket remote entry system that beeps when you lock and unlock the doors. The range is great also (not like the original button on the key). XM radio is my latest add on. Its a Roady unit mounted right by the shifter. I have also dropped the headliner and tightened the sunroof bolts to cure the nasty creaking noise from above. A Lexus tech gave me that advise. These are the things I can remember right now but I'm sure there are many more. Anyway it's a great car and I love driving it anywhere. Denver to Vegas and on to Santa Monica several times. 25 MPG on the road and 18 in town.

;)

Nice. I've got a 92 LS. My pop bought it new and put over 200,000 miles on it before selling it to me. Now it has 307,000 miles and merely coughs between long stretches of purring. I wanted to know more about your sheepskin seats.. were they a custom job, or is there something like a website where I can find them? Are they affordable? And why do Volvo mechanics love Lexus? My family's mechanic of over twenty years prefers Volvo for business and Lexus for pleasure.

;)

Nice. I've got a 92 LS. My pop bought it new and put over 200,000 miles on it before selling it to me. Now it has 307,000 miles and merely coughs between long stretches of purring. I wanted to know more about your sheepskin seats.. were they a custom job, or is there something like a website where I can find them? Are they affordable? And why do Volvo mechanics love Lexus? My family's mechanic of over twenty years prefers Volvo for business and Lexus for pleasure.

The sheepskins are semi custom. $100 each. You have to get the ones that are all real sheep all the way around, not just sheep on the front. The cheap ones have synthetic on the sides and back and look like crap after they fade a little. There is a universal size that fits this seat perfect. Just google sheepskins and find a Co. that can fit these criteria. They will smell a bit the first year but that goes away. To get the headrest off you put it all the way up and get a 2 by 4 under it, then hammer up on the wood and the headrest will pop out. Then fit the seat cover and cut slits for the headrest to go back in. I also put some thin foam under the skins to form to my back and butt just the way I like the feel. You know Volvo's are good cars for mechanics because they are pieces of crap and always broken. The LS400 is a real car. What other car are you going to drive as nice as these 90,91,92's for the couple grand they are worth?

Hey Kenny, welcome to LOC :cheers: . Good to have a real mechanic aboard.

It sounds like you've done most of the needed repairs on an LS of this age. Once all these things are addressed you're going to be able to just drive and enjoy!

Since you are qualified you should try doing some tutorials if you do a procedure. They help many LS owners out there. All ya need is a camera! Anyway welcome :D

Hey Kenny, welcome to LOC  :cheers: .  Good to have a real mechanic aboard.

It sounds like you've done most of the needed repairs on an LS of this age.  Once all these things are addressed you're going to be able to just drive and enjoy! 

Since you are qualified you should try doing some tutorials if you do a procedure.  They help many LS owners out there.  All ya need is a camera!  Anyway welcome  :D

I think this site is great. I love reading about other problems and everybody's stories. I have done these repairs as they came up in the last 5 years. I now remember a couple more. When I bought the car from a dealer I had them replace the leaking pr steering pump, (part of the deal). Also the cig lighter only charged my cell phone intermittantly so I replaced that assembly. Just a couple months ago I got some bad gas, soon as I left the pump she was missing like on 6 cylinders. I put 2 cans of dry gas in and it took till the next day to run right again. Yes I was pretty *BLEEP*ed off. A day later it was all good again.