98 Ls400 Fr Cigarette Lighter

Doucett

Looking for help to solve front cigarette lighter intermittent problem. When I plug in a accessory unit it will work for 3-4 days, then stop working for no apparent reason. Checked lexus owners club website for solutions of problem, tried solutions, no help. I have 12 volts at cigarette lighter plug, checked fuse ok, but replaced anyway. Both rear cigarette lighters work fine. Has anyone ever replace cigarette plug in unit, easy or hard item to replace, what steps must you take to replace unit. Thanks for your help, Ron

Looking for help to solve front cigarette lighter intermittent problem. When I plug in a accessory unit it will work for 3-4 days, then stop working for no apparent reason. Checked lexus owners club website for solutions of problem, tried solutions, no help. I have 12 volts at cigarette lighter plug, checked fuse ok, but replaced anyway. Both rear cigarette lighters work fine. Has anyone ever replace cigarette plug in unit, easy or hard item to replace, what steps must you take to replace unit. Thanks for your help, Ron

Yes I have had the same problem. You need a new unit. I've replaced mine for the same reason. It's not too hard to do. Use the same steps laid out in replacing the radio or climate unit on this site.

Have you tried more than one 12V device to make certain that it is not the plug on the cord? I've seen at least one poorly designed plug that would not make a good contact. Does the accessory 12V socket in the storage area under the center arm rest not work either? (I assume yours has one since my 00 LS does.) Does your 12V device work without problem when connected to the accessory socket and the two rear lighter sockets?

Be gentle if you have to pop the wood off the console - it is not as thick and sturdy as the wood on the early LS. My favorite tool to remove the wood is a 1 1/2 inch puddy knife with a very stiff blade well wrapped with electrical tape.

• 3 weeks later...
Have you tried more than one 12V device to make certain that it is not the plug on the cord?  I've seen at least one poorly designed plug that would not make a good contact.  Does the accessory 12V socket in the storage area under the center arm rest not work either?  (I assume yours has one since my 00 LS does.)  Does your 12V device work without problem when connected to the accessory socket and the two rear lighter sockets?

Be gentle if you have to pop the wood off the console - it is not as thick and sturdy as the wood on the early LS.  My favorite tool to remove the wood is a 1 1/2 inch puddy knife with a very stiff blade well wrapped with electrical tape.