Cd Changer

Hey guys,

Just bought an '03 GS300.

New to the GS300 and new to the board. Glad to be in both.

I was wondering what advice you could give me on replacing the stock CD Changer (in glove box) with an aftermarket one that will play MP3's. I know with my BMW I needed an adapter to convert the signal. Is the conversion with Lexus easier? Any recommendations on a changer?

Input is most appreciated.

Greg B

Called Crutchfield and they say they show no research done on GS3 from 99-03. The guy couldn't tell me which changer would would work of if there was even an adapter.

Does this mean I need to go to (CRINGE) like AL 'N ED'S????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :o

Went to Blitzsafe and it only goes to 2002. It seems the cutoff for adapters was when they switched from Nakamichi to Mark Levinson sound after 2002. Since I have the Levinson I think for now I am SOL.

Anyone think differently?

bummer dude, Deadends everywhere.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be shooting some emails or making a few calls directly to Levinson, or to Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, blah, blah, blah.

btw, this Mark Levinson guy,........ :),........ doesn't Lexus also call some of the TRIM updates of the same name??

I mean, Levinson isn't the ACTUAL company *making* the stereo are they? (like Nakamichi, JBL, Bose, Alpine, etc.)

If they don't, then it would help for you to find out who *really* makes that changer and head unit! Any stickers to look at on the units??

In case you all are still interested.

Here is the reply from Mark Levinson (Madrigal)

Thank you for sharing your comments on the performance of the Mark Levinson system installed in your new GS300. We're not aware of an aftermarket solution for playing MP3 through the system. However, Lexus has a Customer Satisfaction department that is set up to address all connectivity questions for the systems in the cars, including our systems. They might have some additional advice here. You can reach them at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Happy listening (and driving),

Todd Sutherland

Madrigal

:(

another thought is to hit up a website, or magazine that is for Audio freaks, you know the type I'm talking about. They'll recite head units, subwoofers, cross-overs, etc, the way a computer geek talks about video cards or Ghz,..or the way a network guy will talk about his Spanning Tree loop. ;)

I know I've seen these magazines in the stands at the book store right next to Hot Rod, Popular Mechanics, Car Craft, Sportbike Rider, etc.

that would get you in touch with guys who make AUDIO their hobby, juno watt ah mean, es'ay?

so i've been searching around for our mp3 changer problem and i found a few people talking about doing the same on their bmws at another website. one guy mentioned you can hook up an alpine changer to the factory deck, but the problem will be in the navigation of your folders and songs :angry: so even if we find a connecter that works, we're pretty much screwed without good folder and song navigation (searching through 1000 songs at random isn't going to work).

i'll keep searching though, as there's got to be something!

Okay, I have an answer although I am not sure how much help it will be. I just came from my dealer (Lexus of Tustin, Orange County, California) and they do this conversion. Bascially they put in a Pioneer changer and they have an adapter that connects it to the head unit. He wouldn't give me the name of the third party adapter but if you call that dealer and ask for parts department maybe you can get it out of him.

Hope this helps. Oh, and the whole project can be done for about $700 installed (hardware and labor).

Cheers.

***DUDE!!!***

The car I'm buying was SOOOO just AT Tustin Lexus last week!!!!! I'm straight trippin!

I'm in freakin' Ohio, and the car is at "DC MOTORS" in Anaheim Hills. I had it sent to Tustin to get that 342.5 point inspection done. :)

Anyway, it's back at DC MOTORS now and I'm trying to hook up a carrier company to trailer it back here.

Any chance I could get you to check it out for me,.......a bit of a visual inspection??? :) I'll send ya flowers. :)