Sc300/400 Head Room

Rave

Most after market seats will lower the seating position. Seats like recaro, sparco, etc. Even the stock mkiv supra seats will lower the drivers position. It probably is not by much though.

The ad I saw made it sound like an optional seat from Lexus but when I called my local dealer he didn't know anything about it. What do the rest of you think? I am about 5'10" tall and I cannot sit comfortably in my SC without rubbing my head on the ceiling. As a result I drive with the sunroof open as much as possible. However this is a bit rough in winter. I have adjusted the seat every way I can think of and when my head is not touching the the roof the steering wheel is too far away. I think it is unlikely I am the tallest person driving one of these cars. How did all you other folks solve this problem?

• 1 year later...

I had a lot of trouble being too tall for my SC300. I am 6 feet tall, and and long in the torso. I did a ton of research, went to Lexus and Toyota dealerships, and made a ton of measurements and learned that Supra seats (93-98) will fit into the SC300. I had to make sure that I would get enough headroom, and that I would not lose the seat belt connector that was part of the original Lexus seat. (Many after-market seats don't have seat belt connectors). With the Supra seat all the way down, you will get about two more inches of head room - AND you will get tremendous amounts of lateral support -- a BIG improvement to the driveability of the car given its flat cornering.

I extensively analyzed the construction of the original Lexus seat, but determined that I could only get about 3/4 inch improvement with modifications. I found a used beige, leather Supra seat from a used auto parts company. It looks so close to the original color, that no one notices that the seat is different until I point it out to them. The Supra seat was incredibly easy to install. The old seat was removed in about 20 minutes (it is MUCH heavier than the Supra seat - so be careful with your back when removing it). I made sure to put blankets on the original seat and to cover all parts of the car with cardboard so as not to scratch anything when taking it out. The bolt holes for the Supra seat exactly match the holes for the Lexus seat. I then made a tool for removing the original Toyota electrical connector on the seat by straightening out a paper clip and then flatened one end of the wire with a hammer. I then was able to slide out the two electric wires out of the power cord housing (the Supra Seat has only two wire connectors - the Lexus seat has MANY). I then inserted the wire connectors from the Supra seat into the Lexus power recepticle and the seat worked. I used electrical tape to make sure the Supra seat wire connectors didn't fall out of the Lexus Power recepticle. The only thing that I haven't had time to figure out is which of the many connectors in the Lexus power recepticle is responsible for turning off the Driver's Seat Belt warning light on the dash board when the seat belt is fastened. For now, the driver's seat belt warning light stays on until I figure out which connector will turn it off. Any suggestions from someone who has installed the Supra seat in their SC300/SC400?

I'm 6'2" and my head rubs a bit, I just reclined my seat though and put the steering wheel all the way out, I can sit comfortably in the car now, but your best bet is probably Supra Seats.

Tim

About 6'2" myself, and have figured if I move the seat all the way down, tilted very far back, with wheel all the way out I can just barely reach the steering wheel without rubbing my head too badly.

My problem is I've got fine hair, and it rubs on that fabric from the roof. Every time I get out of the car, my hair stands on end, in a straight white boy afro. I've adopted a driving hat to combat the problem though I end up with hat head in that case.

Serious F'up on the part of those toyota engineers. Fit better in my smaller honda prelude...