Need Help With Oxygen Sensor

Could sure use some help! I showed a 0161 code on my code reader after the Check Engine indicator came on. The code reads:

" HO2S Heater circuit Malfunction bank 2 Sensor 2".

This may be a silly question but does that indicate that the heater circuit in the sensor malfunctioned?

Talking to the tech at Lexus he said it's the Oxygen sensor past the Catalyic Converter and the connection for it is under the passenger seat. I found the sensor and sure enough it's wired through the floor and under the passenger seat. I may have misunderstood where he said it was because, it's located before the Cat. converter. I couldn't find a sensor after the cat. converter and before the mufflers.

Questions: I see three connectors under the seat, yellow, gray & white. Anyone know which one is the sensor? If anyone has a manual, it should indicate which one is the sensor. I assume one of them is the sensor connector. Also, there are four wires into the sensor: white, blue and 2 black. Can I assume the 2 black are the heater wires?

I have a GS300 with 33000 miles. When I asked the technicion about the code at such low miles and he sqaid it has more to do with time rather than miles. My warranty expired last August, 2004.

I'll await some help.

Thanks to all.

Dan

You should use a DMM to check for the heater wires. they will be the only 2 wires that will give a reading through each other with the sensor disconnected. It would be easier to buy the OEM one as it is prewired! If you buy an aftermarket one you'll have to figure out the <_< wiring. Yes, you have to replace the whole sensor

Let's assume you have a MY 2000 car.

Bank 2 Sensor 2 is after the cat. The wire runs along the exhaust through the floor in the passenger's footwell, not under the seat. See attachments.

Agreed. Replace with OEM style. I recommend this place. Universal sensors are always a P.I.T.A. without fail.

Location.pdf

Testing.pdf

You should use a DMM to check for the heater wires. they will be the only 2 wires that will give a reading through each other with the sensor disconnected. It would be easier to buy the OEM one as it is prewired! If you buy an aftermarket one you'll have to figure out the  <_< wiring. Yes, you have to replace the whole sensor

Thanks for your rsponse. It is a great help!

I appreciate it.

Dan

Let's assume you have a MY 2000 car.

Bank 2 Sensor 2 is after the cat. The wire runs along the exhaust through the floor in the passenger's footwell, not under the seat. See attachments.

Agreed. Replace with OEM style. I recommend this place. Universal sensors are always a P.I.T.A. without fail.

Thanks for your response. The attachments were a great help. I appreciate it.

Dan

Let us know how you make out!

I followed your instructions, found the connector easily under the carpet & checked out the sensor and found no resistance between the heater wires. The connector was not marked but guessed the black wires are the heater wires. Ordered the sensor (OEM) from your recommended source (oxygensensore.com) today.

Will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!

Dan

Let us know how you make out!

One more thing I though of after sending my previous reply. Assuming the new sensor fixes the problem, how do I cancel out the "check engine" indicator on my dash? I only have a code reader not a fancy scan tool. Is there a fuse I can pull for a short time to reset it? I read somewhere that I can disconnect the battery for 15 seconds and that will do it. Sound logical?

Let me know.

Dan

Pull the EFI fuse <_<

Thanks, I'll try it when I receive the sensor. Should have it by next week.

Thanks again for your assistance

Dan

Installed the sensor Sat am and it works fine. No more "Check Engine" indicator. Filled up the gas tank and will check mileage to see if it improved. I normally get 20 - 22 average mpg, With the sensor problem, I've been getting 17 - 19.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Dan