Ls400 V Town Car

cleverdick

I know this might seem like a silly question! However, I live in the UK and currently own a 1990 LS400 (without the air-ride option). Fabulous car, obviously...

But I can't help wondering if an early or mid '90s Lincoln TC might be even smoother and quieter! Those are quite rare in England (apart from in stretched form) so I've been unable to compare. But the interiors look nicer and more impressive than on the LS, there's no doubt about that.

However, when you read about all the recalls for steering wheel fires, unintended acceleration etc. it's slightly offputting! Then there's the terrible Ford after-market customer care (on this side of the pond, anyway).

So what d'ya reckon?

No offence intended, by the way!

:D

Well if there is "no doubt about" the interiors being superior to the LS, then go out and buy yourself a Lincoln. For a Ford product the TC is quite reliable, as only about half of them were recalled, so in comparison to the rest of their products it is a well sorted automobile. Ford was also so keen to improve the 4.6 engine that it underwent eleven major revisions in nine years - one has to recognize Ford's commitment to quality in that regard. And the problems with the torque convertors ballooning and puncturing themselves on the back of the crankshaft are certainly limited to less than 25% of the cars.

No offence taken at all.

Of course if you can't "read between the lines" on this one, you will have to take the "clever" out of your name.....

Actually, I think Lincoln towncars are quite fun and comfy. I accidentally rented one for a tour of northern California wine country in 2003. It was probably like steering the Queen Mary -- HUGE. Got terrible gas mileage too -- literally coasted into Bodega Bay (where Hitchcock's "The Birds" was filmed) with about a cup of gas left in the tank. About six months ago, one of my brother-in-laws bought a really nice late 90's, low mileage (I think about 35K miles) used Towncar "for a song" for his college age son. The kid is about 6' 4", 250 pounds and plays football (that's the "real" football!) for his college team. He didn't fit too well in the Honda Accord he got from my wife but he and his even bigger team mates (some weigh over 300 pounds!) love the huge interior of the Lincoln. Now the kid is always the one who has to drive his mates around. Oh, did I forget to say that the Towncar is HUGE?

You should compare the Town Car to an LS of its similar age. There's no comparing the interiors, Lexus uses MUCH higher grade products, Lincoln uses cheap plastic and fake wood.

There's no comparison between the two to me. Like Jim I've driven them as rentals when I travel and they do ride well, but its not a Lexus.

once you drive a lexus, you will not be happy with a Ford product.

Mom has a '99 RX300 and I drive a '96 Explorer. Except for the engine problem it's having now I prefer the Ford. Better turning radius, tows more, better off-road capabilities, I can beat it up a little and not have to worry, cargo space is better (considering the RX is only slightly smaller and has half the space that's kind of sad), and my new Kenwood deck can read MP3's and WMAs (the RX only reads audio CDs).

There are exceptions.

But then again I'm 19, into mountain biking, fly fishing, mountain climbing, hiking and light off-roading (mostly to get to spots I can do the above) and I tow a boat. So take my opinion in context; a lexus isn't for me right now but they are cool, well-thought out and well-constructed cars.

That being said the interiours on the TCs I've seen look better, but the quality of my mom's RX interiour is quite good. Take a look at the competetive comparison on the Lexus website. Put both the LS and TC up there and you'll see the Lexus has more luxery and common sense features like full sized spare, bluetooth, etc for roughly the same price. Plus the Lincoln screams "I'm rich and arrogant" while the Lexus line shouts "I might be well-off but I spend my money intelligently".

My $.02.

FWIW,

once you drive a lexus, you will not be happy with a Ford product.

That's true in some respects, but you have to remember that you aren't comparing two similar products in the least. A new Linc TC compared to a new base LS430 is about $25k different...I'm aware that the TC lists for $40+, but dealers around here are knocking $10-$13k off the stickers before the negotiation starts-ain't going to happen at Lexus. So to start, you are comparing a $30k car with a $55k car. Of course the LS will have more refined powertrain and have thicker, softer interior materials though I'd have to agree that the interior of the TC is better to look at than the LS400's(not the 430 though). TC is a lot of car for the money!

The TC will have a softer, floatier ride. I've driven an '01 TC Cartier a few times, and it really is like driving a boat-turns must be taken slowly! The trunk is just rediculously large. I was always lured to these cars because they are so roomy, and I'm 6'4-280lbs; I would have definantly looked into one if I met the minimum age requirement. lol One thing that troubled me was that the TC seemed drastically quieter than my LS, and the LS has more insulation in it than Home Depot...weird. I've heard nothing but great things about the 4.6 so long as it's well kept. Take a look at what high mile TC's are fetching on ebay-it's almost rediculous(I just saw an '03 non limo with 195k miles that is up to $13k and 17 bids). Black on black with factory chrome rims makes for a really sharp looking TC. B)

You should go take one for a spin and see if it's a car you'd like to add to your collection. ;)

I personally don't like the way the TC rides. I've explained this in other threads but here goes.

Lincolns float over road irregularities while a Lexus feels heavy and solid and seems to "pound down" and smooth out the bumps in the road as it drives over them. I vastly vastly prefer the ride of the Lexus.

As for price, The LS is much more expensive than the Town Car, MUCH especially when you realize you can buy a TC for 10k off the list price. The LS comparitavely equipped is probably $25-30,000 more.

They're just totally different cars.

As for the Explorer I had an Explorer before my Lexus, in fact my parents still have it. Simply no comparison, I will never buy another Ford again. We're also talking about an LS not an RX, there's worlds of difference between the two.

blake- the fact that the TC sounded quieter than your LS is troubling, it shouldnt. The LS has the lowest 70MPH decibel reading in the industry, tied with the Rolls Royce Silver Seraph. You may need to replace some weatherstripping or something. The LS should be almost errily silent at 70MPH. For instance, my ES is extremely quiet, but the LS is MUCH quieter.

I have replaced the weatherstripping on my driver's doors; it made a huge improvement, but I still think that TC is quieter(the passenger's side looks fine). It could be my imagination possibly! :wacko: lol Also the Lincoln has 40k miles, and my LS has 252k, so that might have something to do with it? I just need to get a decibel-meter and see for sure.

I was trying to get my cd changer out this weekend, and I took apart the glove box door for the changer(never did get it out-not enough time!), and it was stuffed with insulation...I was shocked! Also, the little trim piece in the lower glovebox that allows access to the cabin filter has an insulation backing on it. Those two things really made me scratch my head as to why the car is somewhat loud--because that is the epitome of attention to detail.

It really shouldn't be, my guess is its a function of age, hardening of plastics and seals etc. You should go ride in a newer one sometime. Theres nothing on the road quieter than the LS.

I'll go take the LS out on the highway tomorrow and really pay attention to what I hear. Do you think the Mich MXV4's could have an influence on the noise? They are very high mile rated tires. I'll have to go find some other LS's to drive this weekend and compare.