Most Satisfactory Mods For '99 Ls 400

Just bought a '99 LS 400. She's white with Navigation and HID headlights. Has 70 k miles.

I'm not ready for any major engine/exhaust changes. Would like to know what smaller cosmetic, tuning or electronic addtions has brought the most satisfaction. Would like recomendations on sources too.

Items which have not pleased are sought too!

Thanks.

Magan Carta

The absolute handiest thing I did to my 00 LS was to hook my Nokia phone kit to the phone pre-wiring of the car. There is a connector under the back of the center console on the drivers side (under the air vent you can see when the console lid is up) that contains a mute pin (center front pin) for the audio system that can be connected to a phone kit's mute wire by simply jamming the mute wire in and securing it with a wire tie. There is also power in the same connector. There is likely a link to the audio system speakers too but I used a separate speaker rather than risk frying the system. Nearby, there is a coax cable for the phone antenna imprinted on the rear window. Connect this to a phone kit's antenna lead and then connect the two coax cables hiding under the floor and behind the trim panel at the right side of the trunk.

When my phone rings, the audio system volume automatically mutes and my phone automatically answers after two rings. I can decline the call if I am busy or don't like who I see on the phone's caller-id by pressing the "decline" button and send the caller to voice mail. When the other person hangs up, my phone automatically hangs up and the audio system volume is restored. I never have to remove my hands from the steering wheel unless I want to press the voice dial key (10 stored names) or speed dial one of 10 stored numbers.

Using the car's built-in antenna causes the phone's strength meter to go from 3 bars to the full 7 bars when the car is in the garage - I have NEVER been without phone service even when driving in rural areas where others in my car could not pick up a signal on their phones.

Search the forum and you can find links to docs on my website that contain photos.

• 2 weeks later...
The absolute handiest thing I did to my 00 LS was to hook my Nokia phone kit to the phone pre-wiring of the car.  There is a connector under the back of the center console on the drivers side (under the air vent you can see when the console lid is up) that contains a mute pin (center front pin) for the audio system that can be connected to a phone kit's mute wire by simply jamming the mute wire in and securing it with a wire tie.  There is also power in the same connector.  There is likely a link to the audio system speakers too but I used a separate speaker rather than risk frying the system.  Nearby, there is a coax cable for the phone antenna imprinted on the rear window.  Connect this to a phone kit's antenna lead and then connect the two coax cables hiding under the floor and behind the trim panel at the right side of the trunk.

When my phone rings, the audio system volume automatically mutes and my phone automatically answers after two rings.  I can decline the call if I am busy or don't like who I see on the phone's caller-id by pressing the "decline" button and send the caller to voice mail.  When the other person hangs up, my phone automatically hangs up and the audio system volume is restored.  I never have to remove my hands from the steering wheel unless I want to press the voice dial key (10 stored names) or speed dial one of 10 stored numbers.

Using the car's built-in antenna causes the phone's strength meter to go from 3 bars to the full 7 bars when the car is in the garage - I have NEVER been without phone service even when driving in rural areas where others in my car could not pick up a signal on their phones.

Search the forum and you can find links to docs on my website that contain photos.

Talk about handy... too bad mine didnt have the car kit.