Got An Oil Leak

Well, I was driving home last night and the oil light came on. As I got off the highway to investigate, it went off. I stopped somewhere and checked the dipstick. It said the oil level was full so I continued home while keeping a careful lookout for the oil light. It didn't come on again.

Today I checked the oil level and it was about 2/3rds of the way down on the dipstick. I put about 2/3rds of a quart in it and went on my way. I went to a buddy's house and let the car sit for about three hours. When I got ready to go home I first moved to car to check for any oil drip (I was parked on a slight hill so I didn't think I would get an accurate reading on the dipstick). Much to my annoyance there was a puddle of oil where the right side of the car had been (it was maybe six inches to the right of center of the grill and in line with the axel). The puddle was about six inches across.

A few weeks ago I got the oil changed so I hoping this has something to do with that. I've had this car for close to two years and this is the first time anything like this has happened. Could the drain plug be loose? When I was there they broke my old drain plug and had to put a new one on. I'll definately have it checked on Monday, but has this ever happened to anyone else? Does anybody have any other ideas? Thanks. :cheers:

Well, I was driving home last night and the oil light came on.  As I got off the highway to investigate, it went off.  I stopped somewhere and checked the dipstick.  It said the oil level was full so I continued home while keeping a careful lookout for the oil light.  It didn't come on again. 

Today I checked the oil level and it was about 2/3rds of the way down on the dipstick.  I put about 2/3rds of a quart in it and went on my way.  I went to a buddy's house and let the car sit for about three hours.  When I got ready to go home I first moved to car to check for any oil drip (I was parked on a slight hill so I didn't think I would get an accurate reading on the dipstick).  Much to my annoyance there was a puddle of oil where the right side of the car had been (it was maybe six inches to the right of center of the grill and in line with the axel).  The puddle was about six inches across.  

A few weeks ago I got the oil changed so I hoping this has something to do with that.  I've had this car for close to two years and this is the first time anything like this has happened.  Could the drain plug be loose?  When I was there they broke my old drain plug and had to put a new one on.  I'll definately have it checked on Monday, but has this ever happened to anyone else?  Does anybody have any other ideas?  Thanks. :cheers:

possibly spots for oil leak trouble, ranked in commoness (as i have noticed it) int he order they are typed in:

Valve cover gaskets

Rear Main Seal.

Camshaft and Cranksahft seals (usually replaced when the timing belt is done.)

Oil Pump seal.

have you changed your pcv valve recently?

definately check the oil drain plug and the oil filter. if the filter was installed incorrectly (i.e. making sure the old seal fro the filter came off with the filter rather than staying on the engine block) this could cause the problem. you wont get an accurate reading on the dipstick until the car hasn been shut off for a few minutes. thats why it read full the first time.

Yeah, I know I won't get an accurate reading right after its been turned off. It leaked a little more today but I tightened the drain plug and I hope that stopped it. I will certainly be checking it throughout the rest of the day. Hopefully that will be the end of it. Thanks for your help. :cheers:

Yeah, I know I won't get an accurate reading right after its been turned off.  It leaked a little more today but I tightened the drain plug and I hope that stopped it.  I will certainly be checking it throughout the rest of the day.  Hopefully that will be the end of it.  Thanks for your help.:cheers:

sonds good. keep us updated.