91ls400 Just Died While At A Stop Light

kzam02

My 91 LS 400 with 226K miles just died at a stop light. The 3 lights - radiator, brake, oil light all came on together while I was driving last night and then they went out. But today they turned on again and after I drove for about 10 miles my car just died. I thought it was the baatery and tried jumper cables to start it, the car starts then dies off in a few minutes.

Did any body else experience this before? My friend was saying that it could be the fuel filter or some sort of a relay. I don't know....

Please advise...

Thanks

When the battery and brake lights come on and the car dies it often means the alternator brushes are worn past their limits and need replacing. The battery runs out of juice and the car stalls.

Swap in another fully charged battery. If the car starts and runs normally for several miles then you know for sure the alternator was bad.

Alternator brushes with holder cost only around $30 from a Lexus dealer. Before replacing the alternator brushes, however, have Autozone also test the alternator for bad diodes. Also, if the alternator was noisy then the internal bearings could also be worn in which case it would be better to install a new remanufactured Denso alternator obtained from a Lexus dealer. Autozone also carries Denso LS400 alternators that have been rebuilt by BOSCH.

have to agree with VGR.  lets make sure you are making electricty,plus charging and a good battery before we talk fuel.

Please let us know as it unfolds.

If after the cars dead are you abli to restart it? Can you get the egine to turn over or is there no juice for the starter?? If you can keep cracking it after it stopped your battery is O.K. and most likly your Altanator is to.

Thank you guys for the replies. I am still waiting for the mechanic to open shop on monday. Since this happened on a friday night I was not able to go to the mechanic. I will try out the things mentioned here, and HOPE that its just the alternator brushes or worst just the alternator. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Again thanks for all the help.....

I love this forum....

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update to the FIX. Sorry didn't reply earlier.

It was the alternator that was out, it went out because the power steering fluid was leaking onto the alternator and it just shorted out. Replaced the Alternator - $265 and Battery $85(didn't need to, but just did in case), plus $50 labor so all in all $400.

Later

K

kzam02, curious, was that done at the lexus dealership? that doesn't sound too bad for an alternator and battery. Not to mention labor.

kzam02, curious, was that done at the lexus dealership? that doesn't sound too bad for an alternator and battery. Not to mention labor.

No, it was done at a local repair shop. I know the guy so it may have been at a discount..

• 7 months later...

Wow I just stumbled upon this post while price hunting denso alternators for a 1990 LS400 (best find so far $211 w/ core & shipping). I'm having the exact same problem kzam02 had, even down the the leaky steering fluid, only I hadn't made the connection to it with why my alternator went out recently!

So now basically I'm wondering how much I'm looking at for a job to seal up the leak. Did you have this done kzam? This week I'm going to be doing quite a bit of repairs/maintainence which i've been holding off for a while since i've been so busy with school (thermostat replacement, alternator replacement, headlight bulb replacement, oil and filter change, etc). I'm really not proficient with car repairs but I've been studying some guides and the fixes seem simple enough.

Would I be way in over my head trying to fix up a steering fluid leak, or should I leave it to the pros? If the latter, what kinda financial damage am I looking at?

Much thanks for any help.

Wow I just stumbled upon this post while price hunting denso alternators for a 1990 LS400 (best find so far $211 w/ core & shipping). I'm having the exact same problem kzam02 had, even down the the leaky steering fluid, only I hadn't made the connection to it with why my alternator went out recently!

So now basically I'm wondering how much I'm looking at for a job to seal up the leak. Did you have this done kzam? This week I'm going to be doing quite a bit of repairs/maintainence which i've been holding off for a while since i've been so busy with school (thermostat replacement, alternator replacement, headlight bulb replacement, oil and filter change, etc). I'm really not proficient with car repairs but I've been studying some guides and the fixes seem simple enough.

Would I be way in over my head trying to fix up a steering fluid leak, or should I leave it to the pros? If the latter, what kinda financial damage am I looking at?

Much thanks for any help.

Hi There,

I didn't do it myself. I have a freind who is a mechanic and he did it for me. The alternator was I think about $200 and the steering fuild he just replaced the gasket and it worked fine after that. I don't have the car anymore as I sold it after 245k Miles.

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, I am not so I had it done by a pro who happens to be my friend.

Good luck. The LS was the best car I have owned so far, I just upgraded to a BMW 528I that's why I sold it.

i got a rebuilt alt from a local parts store, $160 BOSCH. pretty good product, no major compliants, lifetime warranty! installed myself. about the PS leak i, had a leak in the upper return hose, so for about two months i was using valvoline with stop leak, then i add a bottle of Lucas! not a drop since. :cheers:

Thanks for your replies. I went ahead and ordered from sparkplugs.com (thanks alsalih!) and also ordered a repair/service manual just for the occasion. I'm actually looking forward to getting dirty under the hood! On the leak, i reckon i'll just have to get it diagnosed (if i can't find the prob myself) and see what kinda work is involved from the manual and take it from there.

If all goes well then hopefully I can move on to figuring out why the steering wheel motor adjustment isn't working...

cheerios!

Thanks for your replies. I went ahead and ordered from sparkplugs.com (thanks alsalih!) and also ordered a repair/service manual just for the occasion. I'm actually looking forward to getting dirty under the hood! On the leak, i reckon i'll just have to get it diagnosed (if i can't find the prob myself) and see what kinda work is involved from the manual and take it from there.

If all goes well then hopefully I can move on to figuring out why the steering wheel motor adjustment isn't working...

cheerios!

If you're doing the work yourself, definetly make sure that it's a power steering leak. That often times seems to be the obvious answer for alternator failings for early LS models. I tought the same for my car, and it actually ended up being a crank seal leak, needless to say, that no matter how mechanically inclined I think I am, there was no way I could have worked that. Wish you luck, hopefully it's not anything major for you.