About To Buy 95 Ls 400 But Need Suggestions.

flash213

Hello everyone, just found this site and think that is a great resource for me in the future.I will appreciate any input on my questions. The car I'm about to buy needs a little TLC upon buying it. A little paint work and an allignment and should be as good as new.

1. Any additve suggetested for minor varnish build up in the oil?

2. Best oil?

3.Best tires for rainy weather? (Live in Seattle)

4. Estimemated cost for 60k maintience and what all goes into a 60k service?

5.Anybody have an indepedent mechanic in the Seattle area?

Any other input for routine care and or problem areas I should keep an eye on I would certainly appreciate.

Hi flash213,

I think you are going to like this car, I have a 1991 ls400 now with over 250,000 miles and still running strong. I use amsoil with bypass filter and am having good success so far. I change the engine filter twice a year, bypass filter once a year and change the oil out at about 25,000 miles give or take. Don't use additives in your engine, just good oil. So if you want long engine life, I would suggest a good synthetic grade, and keep the oil clean.

I do most of my own maintenance now. So I can't help you there.

There are many "good" tires to choose from, you have to pick what's available and how much you want to pay. I use Toyo's.

What I like about the LS400 is that it does everything well. :cheers:

Daffy

Hello everyone, just found this site and think that is a great resource for me in the future.I will appreciate any input on my questions. The car I'm about to buy needs a little TLC upon buying it. A little paint work and an allignment and should be as good as new.

1. Any additve suggetested for minor varnish build up in the oil?

2. Best oil?

3.Best tires for rainy weather? (Live in Seattle)

4. Estimemated cost for 60k maintience and what all goes into a 60k service?

5.Anybody have an indepedent mechanic in the Seattle area?

Any other input for routine care and or problem areas I should keep an eye on I would certainly appreciate.

I can't answer any questions on oil, but as for tires, I bought a set of Kumho Ecstas for my '95. They absoulutely kick !Removed! in the snow and rain compared to the Potenzas or Eagles that I had before this, they track well, and they are quiet. Also, they are relatively inexpensive. They are a little less sporty tire, but then the LS is a little less sporty of a car.

As for problem areas, check out the forums. Check out any information on the front end maint. and the engine dies/jerking thread for '95/'96s (you may want to replace your ECM). Overall, the best used cars on the road for the money, in my opinion. I have been driving my wife's Passat all week, and I just jumped in my '95 LS to park it in the garage tonight. "Damn", I said to myself, "this is a nice car!"

I have a 95, had it for about a year, bought it with 84k miles, now have 98k. Wonderful cars, but do have some issues. Nothing mechanical, engine is beautiful. It's the suspension that gets expesnive and needs attention. All the mounts in these cars soft rubber, and wear out over time. In our situation, it's time over milage that degrades these mounts. In mine, I have had to replace:

ecu(1), engine mounts(2), tranny mount(1), rear differential mounts(2), front strut rods(2), lower ball joints(2), shocks(4) and I am now going to have to replace the control arms. That's what gets expensive, those control arms aren't cheap. Looking at probably $1,600 in parts alone. Unless you're wealthy enough to pay mechanics to do your work, I highly suggest reading this forum thouroghly and become a do it yourself type. Stay away from the dealer if at all possible!

When all done and said for, even with the cost of the parts plus my loan payment, it's still cheaper than buying a new car, or even a lease payment with only 12,000 miles a year allowed. I love my car, and you will too. Just understand, you'll need to do some work on her, as you would on any 10 year old car. They're not completely indestructable.

Welcome to the club! You're on the gravy train now.