Lexus Backs Off From Sirius Radio Option

bill harris

I talked with Customer Support inquiring about the Sirius radio option. Well, they indicated that the product release has been postpone and gave a good indication that it may be canceled.

IS THIS BATE AND SWITCH

As a new owner,LS 430 05, I am disappointed with the lack of information and avenue to talk with Lexus about my concerns.

What every happen to relentless pursuit of perfection.

Feel free to call Lexus and let them know how you feel.

As a group we should demand.

1-800-255-3987, prompt #4

Monday – Friday, 6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., PT.

Fax: 1-310-468-2992

Address:

P.O. Box 2991 – Mail Drop L202

Torrance, CA 90509-2991

I talked with Customer Support inquiring about the Sirius radio option.  Well, they indicated that the product release has been postpone and gave a good indication that it may be canceled.

IS THIS BATE AND SWITCH

As a new owner,LS 430 05, I am disappointed with the lack of information and avenue to talk with Lexus about my concerns. 

What every happen to relentless pursuit of perfection.

Feel free to call Lexus and let them know how you feel. 

As a group we should demand.

1-800-255-3987, prompt #4

Monday – Friday, 6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., PT.

Fax: 1-310-468-2992

Address:

P.O. Box 2991 – Mail Drop L202

Torrance, CA 90509-2991

Actually, I wouldn't be so quick to blame Lexus... I requested information from Sirus customer service regarding the availability, price, etc of the Sirius unit for my 2004 LS430. They said that they would get back to me in 3-5 business days because they wanted to 'make sure I got the correct information'. Well I asked the question on Feb 25th and a month later am still waiting.... I even asked them once where we were on the information and they said that they were still looking int to it.

So much for Sirius customer service. They should not have issued the press release saying they would provide the equipment if they had no idea how to do it.

JMOHO.

I have 2 Sirius plug and play radios. Which are OK if you don't mind 12v plugs and the extra antenna on your cars.

So I just bought a Miata convertible, because I refuse to grow up, and because the 94 LS is so pefectly boring, I needed something to complain about. Gee, I was excited because the Miata had a SAT button on the radio. Figured that I'd have Sirius-Right? Wrong. You still need to buy a "tuner"-only available from the dealer, naturally. Cost? About $500 or so installed!

I like satellite radio, but until XM and Sirius have real competition, we early birds are going to be taking it in the shorts. So maybe you're better off without the option in your new Lexus.

Sad to say it, but I cannot see any competition for these two for ages.

The devices in the sky, of which both have two, cost 1 billion dollars so I cannot see any competition coming anytime soon.

I have Sirius in my LS via the plug and play option and would not trade it for anything out there. I think I get more than what an XM user would because I get to listen free via the net -- something that XM charges extra for. Also, the plug and play option offers me more choice than the built-in system does, so I will stick to that in my LS.

Still, I will give Sirius a ring about the availability of their service in a Lexus vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this thread ... I sent this message to Sirius customer support yesterday:

Sirius and Lexus announced in December 2004 that an OEM radio would be available in February for certain models, including the 2005 LS-430. My Lexus dealership isn't aware of the announcement and can find no part number to match. I have Sirius in my other car and do not want to switch to XM unless I have to. The Lexus interior is so nice that I would only consider an OEM solution. Can you provide an update on the Lexus/Sirius partnership?

This is their response:

We are extremely excited that SIRIUS will soon be available to GM, Toyota, Lexus and Honda owners with pre-installed satellite-ready radios. The special translator module from SoundGate, in conjunction with a SIRIUS tuner and antenna, allows the SIRIUS signal to be played over any in-dash satellite-ready radio. The SoundGate adapter also has the ability to allow other, non satellite-ready radios from GM and Honda to receive SIRIUS? 100% commercial-free music, plus news, entertainment and play-by-play sports without having to purchase a new radio.

This exciting new product is available at several dealers and for additional information visit SoundGate on the web at www.soundgate.com.

Please stay tuned to www.sirius.com for more details on SoundGate along with updates on other SIRIUS products, service and programming.

I was curious, so I went to the Soundgate website, and found nothing relating to Lexus and Sirius. Bunch of other cars, but not Lexus. As I suspected, my other car, a new Mazda turbo, which has a Bose sound system, does not have a Soundgate option either.

It looks like Kenwood is the most available system that can be added to your SAT ready radio to receive Sirius-if it is Kenwood ready. Costs about $500 with labor and antenna. If you go to Crutchfield.com, there are several other tuners that can be added to factory SAT prepped radios, but look at it this way:

If your car is prepped with SAT, you still need to add the tuner plus antenna plus labor =$500+ at the dealer.

Or, If you rip out the new useless radio, and add a cheap Kenwood SAT radio plus the tuner and antenna, you pay about $500-DIY.

I'm using the Plug and Play. Looks like crap, but it works. Using the existing radio. What a deal. I hide the P & P in the glove box-of a brand new car!

I wouldn't shame my Lexus with such a shabby look-sad.

Response back from Sirius Radio - Goog News

Rebecca Schnall passed along your inquiry to me so I thought I would respond directly since I manage the Sirius/Toyota relationship. At the time the press release was issued last year it was both Toyota & SIRIUS' intention to have the Sirius hardware kits ready for launch in Feb 2005 as stated. As is sometimes the case with the development of electronic products, it was determined that a few additional software changes needed to be made so that the hardware would work seamlessly with all Toyota, Scion and Lexus vehicles. At the present time our expectation is that the kit for your LS430 should become available sometime in May or June. Also, rest assured the radio in your vehicle is in fact already SIRIUS-Ready so you will be able to get SIRIUS installed without having to upgrade or swap out your current radio. A couple of additional positives to mention specifically related to the SIRIUS hardware is that the Lexus installation time for SIRIUS compared to XM hardware will be shorter thus saving you money and secondly you'll be getting our new SIGMA interior glass mounted antenna which means you won't have a large black antenna sitting on the rear fender of your new LS430. Our antenna will mount on the inside of your front windshield up behind the rear view mirror meaning the exterior aesthetics of your LS430 will remain in tact.

I hope this information is what you are looking for and thanks again for your patience and support of Sirius! Should you have any additional questions feel free to contact me anytime. As soon as I have exact timing for release of the SIRIUS hardware for the LS430 I will let you know.

Sincerely,

Don Tryon

VP, Asian OEM Accounts

DTryon@siriusradio.com

I am stupid. But this Bill Harris guy caught my attention.

If you read what he said it's basically "Don't worry, you'll be able to get Sirius without ripping out your existing radio". Big deal, Bill. So you can pay through the shorts for a "kit" that will work "seamlessly with your Lexus radio". So I have a useless Lexus satellite ready radio - until until I spend the big bucks for the tuner and antenna "kit". Right?

Yes, it's nice that the antenna will be somewhat hidden. But think about it-are they doing you a favor to sell you a satellite ready radio that can't receive satellite radio without extra bucks far beyond the subscription cost? Gee, I bet the Lexus Service Department will be happy to install the tuner and antenna at a competitive price. Hah! I'll also bet that you can't have the tuner installed anywhere else-something about an adapter only being available at your friendly dealer.

Push that "SAT" button all you want-It won't work.

What's his name? I think it should be:

Bill Harris - VP of BS.

Asian OEM Accounts-whatever that is....

Wow. Where are you coming from? I am an owner of a 2005 LS 430 car that is four months old. Before buying the car I inquired about the Sirius radio option and the ability to have it without an external radio.

This option was supposed to be available in February and it was not. I inquired about it and expressed my frustration with Lexus and Sirius about the lack of information that is available. I actually received a response and posted it to the board so other members would be made aware of the situation.

As an advanced member, you are an idiot and maybe should go and by a 1990 BMW. Your irrational response to this problem is why car manufactures don’t respond to questions.

As a owner of NEW Lexus, the cup is half full.

P.S. I did not write the response. It was Don Tryon from Sirius

P.S.S Now I understand what a Advance Member is.

Wow.  Where are you coming from?  I am an owner of a 2005 LS 430 car that is four months old.  Before buying the car I inquired about the Sirius radio option and the ability to have it without an external radio. 

This option was supposed to be available in February and it was not.  I inquired about it and expressed my frustration with Lexus and Sirius about the lack of information that is available.  I actually received a response and posted it to the board so other members would be made aware of the situation.

As an advanced member, you are an idiot and maybe should go and by a 1990 BMW.  Your irrational response to this problem is why car manufactures don’t respond to questions.

As a owner of NEW Lexus, the cup is half full.

P.S.  I did not write the response.  It was Don Tryon from Sirius

P.S.S  Now I understand what a Advance Member is.

Bill,

Thanks for finding out the 'new' anticipated date for the Sirius module... I had been trying without success to get the same information.

You must admit one that at least the first sentence of TexLex reply was accurate... :wacko:

I'm with PlaneSys - Bill - you found out what I was looking for - Thanks. The reply I got was a catch-all generic product they pitched my way - not an OEM solution. I wanted to know if/when the real OEM product was coming out - Thanks to you I know it's probably June.

As for TexLex - hopefully he'll start reading posts more carefully before launching any attacks. I haven't been hanging out in this forum very long ... I hope his attitude doesn't represent the majority here ...

I'm with PlaneSys - Bill - you found out what I was looking for - Thanks.  The reply I got was a catch-all generic product they pitched my way - not an OEM solution.  I wanted to know if/when the real OEM product was coming out - Thanks to you I know it's probably June.

As for TexLex - hopefully he'll start reading posts more carefully before launching any attacks.  I haven't been hanging out in this forum very long ... I hope his attitude doesn't represent the majority here ...

It doesn't.... which is why I'm sure it snapped back Bills head when he read it. The overwelming majority of members here REALLY know their stuff and are willing to share the knowledge. I'm more of a 'silent' member since my car is a bit later model and doesn't present some of the 'challenges' an older model might.

I was very exited when Sirius announced it's partnership with Toyota/Lexus to supply components. In particular the SIGMA solution for reception seems like it will maintain the exterior look of the car by not requiring the extra box on the trunk. I had read in the forums about some users putting the antenna on the rear deck, but from what I remember, the reception suffered. In front of the mirror seems much better.

I was curious, so I went to the Soundgate website, and found nothing relating to Lexus and Sirius.  Bunch of other cars, but not Lexus.  As I suspected, my other car, a new Mazda turbo, which has a Bose sound system, does not have a Soundgate option either. 

It looks like Kenwood is the most available system that can be added to your SAT ready radio to receive Sirius-if it is Kenwood ready.  Costs about $500 with labor and antenna.  If you go to Crutchfield.com, there are several other tuners that can be added to factory SAT prepped radios, but look at it this way:

If your car is prepped with SAT, you still need to add the tuner plus antenna plus labor =$500+ at the dealer.

Or, If you rip out the new useless radio, and add a cheap Kenwood SAT radio plus the tuner and antenna, you pay about $500-DIY.

I'm using the Plug and Play.  Looks like crap, but it works.  Using the existing radio.  What a deal.  I hide the P & P in the glove box-of a brand new car!

I wouldn't shame my Lexus with such a shabby look-sad.

this guy has to be stupid.

1. satellite radio is an OPTION so unless you request it of course it wont work.

2. there are 2 satellite radio options in america and we are lucky to have them since the terrestrial radio lobby fought very hard against it.

3. I know for a fact that there is an xm radio compatible plug and play fully integrated system for lexus. I own it.

4. yeah I know you can get 3 months of working satellite radio in some new acuras. BUT THIS IS NOT ACURA.

5. as an xm radio subscriber I can get free internet streaming as of 4/1/05.

its a LOT easier to rant when you dont know what youre talking about. no he doesnt represent the majority of members here thank god.